Andrew Symonds is no more

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Andrew Symonds is no more

Post by sam_ahm »

Terrible news coming in from Australia, one of the best cricketers of 2000s, Andrew Symonds has passed away in a Car Accident. What an incredibly talented cricketer Symonds was and one of the most impactful batsman of the 00s decade.

Farewell Roy. You'll be missed. What a tragic year this has been for Australian cricket and for world cricket as well.

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Andrew Symonds is no more

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

RIP. The Crisis Man Of Aussie Middle Order

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

Sad news of course, he had his problems but Symonds was certainly an interesting and fun player to watch, not sure what this has to do with Zim cricket though

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

It’s very sad. Great player.

I remember a few months back , he had some nice things to say on commentary about the upcoming Zim tour to Australia, which will be played up his way in North Queensland. I’m pretty sure he would have been one of the commentators for that tour.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I understand this is not related to Zimbabwe cricket, but i thought we can have a thread for Roy as such incidents cut across interests of all cricket fans. Just like we had one for Warney.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sam_ahm wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:02 pm
I understand this is not related to Zimbabwe cricket, but i thought we can have a thread for Roy as such incidents cut across interests of all cricket fans. Just like we had one for Warney.
This really should be restricted for Zim cricket Matters only. Every other week a cricketer from the past is going to die. Hard truth.
We have an ‘Other Cricket’ forum specifically for non Zim cricket matters.
That said it’s an honest mistake and since we are here now. These were some of my memories of Roy:
- England selected him for the National side when he was a late teenager. He turned them down in the hope he will be good enough to play for Australia.
Can you imagine a Zimbabwean doing that?
- He wanted to give up his cricket career to try and play in the NRL. He was cozying yo to rugby league figures and started co commentating a few games. Someone obviously got in his ear and convinced him he’s on a good thing being in the Aussie cricket team.
- He showcased those skills with his crash tackling pitch invaders.
- He was a true QLD’er. Always came across as like a black Steve Irwin type. Always fishing and being part of the outback life. Even turned up to cricket games hungover.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

I watched one interview where he was asked what he did in his spare time and he said- pig hunting and drinking beer.
He'd have made a fine Zimbo :lol:

andrewn9

Post by andrewn9 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 4:00 am
sam_ahm wrote:
This really should be restricted for Zim cricket Matters only. Every other week a cricketer from the past is going to die. Hard truth.
That said it’s an honest mistake and since we are here now. These were some of my memories of Roy:
- England selected him for the National side when he was a late teenager. He turned them down in the hope he will be good enough to play for Australia.
- He wanted to give up his cricket career to try and play in the NRL. He was cozying yo to rugby league figures and started co commentating a few games. Someone obviously got in his ear and convinced him he’s on a good thing being in the Aussie cricket team.
- He was a true QLD’er. Always came across as like a black Steve Irwin type. Always fishing and being part of the outback life. Even turned up to cricket games hungover.
To be fair, England selected him for an A tour, which he turned down, not the full national side. Symonds was a great talent though in ODIs for Australia RIP.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

He was playing for Aus on my first ever visit to Queens as a boy, 1999 - Warne played too, I think they got 5 or 6 wickets between them. It was their full strength team and my god they were good. Neil Johnson made a decent stab at the chase but we lost soundly.

I managed to get Damien Martyn and David Mutendera's autographs that day but sadly not Roy's or Warnie's!

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

andrewn9 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:06 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 4:00 am
sam_ahm wrote:
To be fair, England selected him for an A tour, which he turned down, not the full national side. Symonds was a great talent though in ODIs for Australia RIP.
Fair ‘nuff.
Still a big thing considering he hasnt really even properly cracked the Queensland team at that point.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*