Afghanistan tour of Zimbabwe Jun 2022

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Afghanistan tour of Zimbabwe Jun 2022

Post by Googly »

They're desperate for Myers to do well but still Evans doesn't get an extended opportunity. These issues will never go away.
The one thing that you know for sure is that most will fail and your turn will come around again soon enuf if enuf games are played. If covid or ebola strikes again you may have to wait 2 years. Musical chairs on HMS ZC

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ryan14Murray ... 8496462848

At least Myers has played a few NPL games!

I used to be a giant fan of Ryan but his attitude on this issue has been and remains very silly. He’s made his choice not to pursue a cricket career - don’t blame anyone else.

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

I knew Myers would be in the squad, nobody believed me when I mentioned it before. Such a class player, want him in there regardless of how many games he has played this year.

The rest of the squad on the other hand is a concern. Really feel for Brad but I’m sure he will get his chance again soon.

So, here is my 11….

Madhevere
Chakabva
Ervine
Tiripano
Shumba
Raza
Burl
Jongwe
Ndlovu
Chatara
Muzarabani

Playing Tiripano as a batsmen who will bowl a few. I do rate him as a batsmen, if he fails then Myers can come in and play that role.

I was pretty depressed after the Namibia series so not holding much hope. Hope we can pinch a win.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I'm pretty sure the 1st ODI they'll go with;

Chakabva
Kaitano
Ervine
Madhevere
Raza
Shumba
Burl
Jongwe
Ndlovu
Chatara
Muzarabani

I think there's a fair chance we might pick up maybe 1 win in the ODI series, but the T20's will be a car crash.

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:00 pm
I'm pretty sure the 1st ODI they'll go with;

Chakabva
Kaitano
Ervine
Madhevere
Raza
Shumba
Burl
Jongwe
Ndlovu
Chatara
Muzarabani

I think there's a fair chance we might pick up maybe 1 win in the ODI series, but the T20's will be a car crash.
Can Myers open ? I would go with same 11 but Myers opening instead of kaitano

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Well he hasn't done it before at this level. I don't think you can expect someone to go from 8 months of zero cricket, to a few games batting against NPL attacks, to facing Rashid & Mujeeb and co. I don't think he should be in the squad really, but he's better than any other batting alternatives so fine, he can warm the bench. But I wouldn't be throwing him to the wolves in any position, let alone opening!

Googly

Post by Googly »

If we get clubbed like baby seals he'll get a shot. They may even pull someone out of the crowd.

Interesting post from Murray. That was an error if he wants to keep a door open. The playing field is never level and unless you're Special you have to do some hard yards. As mediocre as we label most of our players you're still not replacing them and walking into an international game after months/years off and expecting to set it alight, you're going to get schooled.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Googly wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:36 pm
If we get clubbed like baby seals he'll get a shot. They may even pull someone out of the crowd.

Interesting post from Murray. That was an error if he wants to keep a door open. The playing field is never level and unless you're Special you have to do some hard yards. As mediocre as we label most of our players you're still not replacing them and walking into an international game after months/years off and expecting to set it alight, you're going to get schooled.
Myers in a sense didn't get preferential treatment as he has played about 4 NPL games since coming back from UK. So in the box ticking exercise he has played domestic games unlike murray

Googly

Post by Googly »

Evans' ommission is interesting. He needs to take wickets, it's clearly not enough to be our most economical bowler.
A part of me agrees with that actually. In my view he's better than Jongwe for example, but Jongwe somehow takes poles when we need them. Maybe Evans will at international level but he's not going to get the chance unless he really blows them away domestically and it coincides with multiple repeat failures from our seamers. You can't quite call him an all rounder yet either, but he's fairly close. If he perseveres he will likely become a regular. Some just have to work harder than others, that's the hand he's been dealt. Some guys, for a number of reasons, will be favored.

They are so desperate for a real quality black batter that anyone with promise will get multiple opportunities. I like Myers, he ticks a lot of boxes, under the right tutelage (fuck knows where he will find that!) he's got a real chance.
It's the same in UK with Muyeye, he will be able to fail longer than a white guy. He will be able to bomb out for at least 3-4 years before they sack him. Not that he will fail, he's damned good, but I've seen many times a kid who is a fine schoolboy player not transition easily and often a lesser player will do better, it's a strange old game.

Evans vs Chivanga is more of a talking point at the moment.
I think he got a bum deal there. If he hangs in and improves slightly here and there they can't ignore him forever.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Donald wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:58 pm
Googly wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:36 pm

Myers in a sense didn't get preferential treatment as he has played about 4 NPL games since coming back from UK. So in the box ticking exercise he has played domestic games unlike murray
Ya I agree. Murray has had plenty of opportunity over the years to play here, even at club level. He's not done himself any favors. Doing the hard yards is part of any life process.