[Match Thread] New Zealand v Zimbabwe: 1st ODI

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

[Match Thread] New Zealand v Zimbabwe: 1st ODI

Post by maehara »

...because it can't get any worse, right..?

OR CAN IT...?

Zombi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: [Match Thread] New Zealand v Zimbabwe: 1st ODI

Post by Zombi »

maehara wrote:...because it can't get any worse, right..?

OR CAN IT...?
Nah! I dont think it can get any worse. Its been a bad couple of weeks for Zimbabwean cricketers. Former players Fletcher and Andy Flower loosing to Australia and Pakistan respectively. The current innings defeat and lack of funds in our cricket league that might affect our cricket future.

The pitch is likely to suite pace bowlers so maybe Utseya will sit it out. NewZealand are realy strangling us here but i think we might bounce back strongly.
38.3 Bracewell to Chakabva, 2 runs,
leg side, touch short, worked off
the legs forward of square for a
workman like 50

CHAKS - The stone that the builders rejected

hhm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by hhm »

This is the lineup we should go with:
Taylor(c), Hami, Matsi, Taibu(wk), Waller, Mutizwa, Elton, Utseya, Price, Jarvis/Meth, Vitori

Firdose thinks Regis will get in to bat up the order, I reckon Taylor should man up and join Hami! No use trying either of Regis, Waller, Mutizwa & Matsi('new') up top considering that they're the most experienced! Matsi to ge a piece of the action here. For all his brilliant knocks, one would be foolish to rate Regis a better ODI batsman than ther other options, so sanity must prevail. Should he be picked, and go on to get a big score, that fact remains the same!

Both Utseya&Price WILL play, after the mauling we received, I expect us to go defensive, so Meth's only chance of playing should be for one of Jarvis or Vitori. Generally, I feel Vitori is the worst one of the two, but the fact is Jarvis is pathetic when it comes to the shorter formats, so for the sake of his career, he should step aside. I've often found that in ODIs, Jarvis's opening spell is as good as Meth's second spell> POOR! So if Meth plays, he sould bowl out by the 40th over!

Someone rightly pointed out that Vitori has got power&skill, but lacks stamina. He should be able to replicate some of the top overs we've seen from him in the Stanbic T20s and on his fisrt two ODIs
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

hhm

Post by hhm »

I wonder how bad an idea it would be of all of Utseya, Price, Elton, Jarvis, Meth & Vitori played..........

.....alongside (Taylor, Hami, Matsi, Taibu & Waller) :idea:

We can get 75+ runs from Elton, Meth & Utseya, and squeeze another 25+ runs from Price, Jarvis & Vitori. Afterall, I don't see Jarvis, Vitori & Elton bowling a full 10 overs, they almost always never do! In fact, I'd be surprised if they even manage to bowl 20 overs between them! The spinners plus Meth on the other hand probably will complete their quota!

Hami's part-timers can't be risked against a justifiably overconfident batting order such as the one they'll be up against!

Probably wise to sacrifice a batsman for an 'allrounder' then! 250 chasing/setting still on the cards for us IF we bat sensibly :!:
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Are we sure that Cremer flew back to Zimbabwe? If there is an injury cloud over Price they might have kept him in NZ.

Looking forward to the ODI. Be positive and bat first, post 250. (unless it's the sort of pitch that will only assist seamers for an hour in the morning, but it sounds like that won't be the case)

hhm

Post by hhm »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:Are we sure that Cremer flew back to Zimbabwe?
If not, he should! I certainly hope he's not used for anything beyond carrying the drinks!
As expected, he was the worst spinner last time we played New Zealand! We would've been best served by bowling out Utseya, Price & Lamb and kept him on the bench!

He simply isn't good enough yet against decent opposition! My initial query had erroneously excluded the West Indies, makes for some findings! Can't believe someone mentioned that Cremer 'not too long ago' was doing wonders in ODIs against the top sides in World cricket! On close inspection, he's still at least another two to three years away from being competent enough at this level!

He's been doing rubbish, and we haven't been paying enough attention to notice it or acknowledge it :!:

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

God when you don't like somebody you don't half let them know.
Can I just make a polite inquiry not to bring up the Rainsford/Jarvis/Vitori/Hondo debate in this thread

sscricket
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by sscricket »

Please give one new ball to Meth. Victory is granted!
Kick one of Jarvis or Vitori out. Hopefully Jarvis as he is superexpensive.

Zombi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Zombi »

If we are to go by the pitch report then 2 spiners are too much. They have prepared a pace friendly wicket so that we dont do to them what Bangladesh did a while ago.
38.3 Bracewell to Chakabva, 2 runs,
leg side, touch short, worked off
the legs forward of square for a
workman like 50

CHAKS - The stone that the builders rejected

takleg
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by takleg »

Ja, two spinners aren't necessary considering the fact that there's going to be loads of assistance for the seamers. If both Price and Keegs are fit I'm afraid there won't be any room for Mr Dots.
Hami
Matsi
Taylor(c)
Taibu(wk)
Chakabva
Bundu Jr
Elton
Meth/S.Masakadza
Price
Jarvis
Vitori
Vusi, Mawoyo, H.Masakadza, Taylor, Ervine, Williams, Mutumbami, S.Masakadza, Meth, Price, Jarvis