Zimbabwe Vs Afghanistan | 3rd ODI | 9th June 2022

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Zimbabwe Vs Afghanistan | 3rd ODI | 9th June 2022

Post by Googly »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:04 pm
I was also thinking what would happen if we were to start afresh without the money. Without a doubt 90% of the people who are involved would walk away but I also realized all those guys playing County Cricket would be able to play for us and keep their contracts. We would probably be a better team but cricket would die in the country. Scratch that.. its already dead. If they have a secret plan and have talks with the players out there it could work. The problem is the ICC actually. I doubt they would allow us to even play as an associate
Whilst there's a free dollar none of them are going anywhere. If they had the option of watching Zim become world no 1 in all formats and all they had to do is leave or to continue running it on a reduced budget of $10 OOO a year and we went to 20th they'd take the 10k option. Its only about the money. The guys who haven't stashed enough are unemployable elsewhere.

Googly

Post by Googly »

That would be the acid test wouldn't it. Take a mill each on the condition they never come within 1km of a cricket field again. How many takers?

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:04 pm
We would probably be a better team but cricket would die in the country. Scratch that.. its already dead.
It's not 'dead'. I'd say more people are playing some sort of cricket in the country currently than they were 5 years ago or something. And I think despite the reactions (including myself!) about us giving up on cricket or not caring or leaving the forum or not going to matches anymore or whatever, actually theres still a lot of people who care and are interested.

Club cricket has improved this year, theres some decent stuff going on at some schools, theres a few academies and different junior programmes, and the few grounds we have are being looked after better than a few years ago too

All the grassroots stuff is on the up....... but its our high performance stuff which is terrible and a complete mess. A Googly has said, and I agree, they are doing it the wrong way around. They are hoping focusing on grassroots will improve the national team but obviously that would take literally many years and fortunes of money to do. It would be better and probably easier, and certainly quicker, to have a high quality national team and see that interest filter through and down to other levels.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

^ Also i'm not saying any of the grassroots stuff is perfect :lol: Far from it and theres a million things to still improve

But people have been saying cricket is dead here for twenty years....it isn't dead, it's just a poor standard.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I remember, possibly last year, I was saying that we should not get over excited with Wes, Shumba, Dion etc. I received a fair bit of backlash. I even suggested that Wes needs to be dropped from the test team and only focus on white ball cricket. Again, people kept refuting me saying he needs to play. There has been this call about how quality and world class he is, and some of the others, but the last three series (Afg, SA A, Namibia) have proven otherwise.

It's so clear that we are so far behind where we need to be as a test nation. We are behind some of the associates too. We have a coach who is stealing a living, and a board that absolutely cares bugger all for the team, or the game.

We can't expect these players to improve if we can't even provide them with the basic equipment and infrastructure for improvement. Our training methods and equipment are still very old, and outdated. Other teams are so far ahead of us in their training methods, this is one of the reasons why our guys get found out at the Interanational level.

We also can't expect to improve when we only have domestic comps that goes for 5 rounds. That's not a competition. I fully blame Hammy for this. I've said I'm not he's biggest fan and the main reason for this is because he is a black player who came through a system that was amazing, and the talent he squandered is astounding. He has experienced the best and has always fought on the side of the board ensuring the worst. Now he is pretending to be some kind of messiah with his NPL comp that lasts five rounds or so and doesn't really provide any sort of quality or competition. ZC has stifled progression and change at every possibility and Hammy backed this all along the way. The Emerging Stars, the Campbell initiative, the Streak Academy, The Taibu UK tours, all stifled by a ZC board that want's nothing but control and the money, and been fully supported by the likes of Hammy, Elton, and Prosper. Three players who benefited from the system they so strongly despise and call racist.

So much needs to change, and it needs to change fast or you can kiss goodbye to world cups and major tournament for quite some time. Tours against big nations will also go too. In already crowded calendar, they don't want to play us when they know we will be easy beats. I expect the Aus side for our series to be missing some big names.

We as fans are always optimistic, but we are in for a very long long ride of disappointment with the odd one game win which ZC think is actually something. As long as TM and his crew remain at the board, and he has his cronies in the media like Melhuli and Larry to toot their horns and boost their egos, things will only get worse. Not long before Namibia is the number 2 side in Africa.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

Give Zhouwa and Madande a go...

Evans needs a go...

Googly

Post by Googly »

Oh God, you again. Please man, just quietly read and don't post.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:32 am
I remember, possibly last year, I was saying that we should not get over excited with Wes, Shumba, Dion etc. I received a fair bit of backlash. I even suggested that Wes needs to be dropped from the test team and only focus on white ball cricket. Again, people kept refuting me saying he needs to play. There has been this call about how quality and world class he is, and some of the others, but the last three series (Afg, SA A, Namibia) have proven otherwise.

It's so clear that we are so far behind where we need to be as a test nation. We are behind some of the associates too. We have a coach who is stealing a living, and a board that absolutely cares bugger all for the team, or the game.

We can't expect these players to improve if we can't even provide them with the basic equipment and infrastructure for improvement. Our training methods and equipment are still very old, and outdated. Other teams are so far ahead of us in their training methods, this is one of the reasons why our guys get found out at the Interanational level.

We also can't expect to improve when we only have domestic comps that goes for 5 rounds. That's not a competition. I fully blame Hammy for this. I've said I'm not he's biggest fan and the main reason for this is because he is a black player who came through a system that was amazing, and the talent he squandered is astounding. He has experienced the best and has always fought on the side of the board ensuring the worst. Now he is pretending to be some kind of messiah with his NPL comp that lasts five rounds or so and doesn't really provide any sort of quality or competition. ZC has stifled progression and change at every possibility and Hammy backed this all along the way. The Emerging Stars, the Campbell initiative, the Streak Academy, The Taibu UK tours, all stifled by a ZC board that want's nothing but control and the money, and been fully supported by the likes of Hammy, Elton, and Prosper. Three players who benefited from the system they so strongly despise and call racist.

So much needs to change, and it needs to change fast or you can kiss goodbye to world cups and major tournament for quite some time. Tours against big nations will also go too. In already crowded calendar, they don't want to play us when they know we will be easy beats. I expect the Aus side for our series to be missing some big names.

We as fans are always optimistic, but we are in for a very long long ride of disappointment with the odd one game win which ZC think is actually something. As long as TM and his crew remain at the board, and he has his cronies in the media like Melhuli and Larry to toot their horns and boost their egos, things will only get worse. Not long before Namibia is the number 2 side in Africa.
I agree but they last time they tried to bring a change resulted in ZC getting suspended and as a consequence missed out on 2021 T20 WC.

There has to be a change otherwise I do agree that ZC is headed nowhere but then again that change has to be within the allowed limits of the ICC, I don't know how that will happen.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Nothing is going to change. As discussed, there was a genuine effort the change the board a few years ago with Vince Hogg at the top, and look how that ended.
We're going to be stuck in this rot for a long time

Donald

Post by Donald »

Would be nice if the SRC crafted a document to say that politicians can't get involved in running of sports in zimbabwe. Would be a nice broadside ahead of the ZC elections next year 😊😂😂