Zimbabwe Vs Afghanistan | 3rd ODI | 9th June 2022

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Zimbabwe Vs Afghanistan | 3rd ODI | 9th June 2022

Post by Googly »

It's actually getting colder and more overcast. Maybe there will still be some juice this afternoon

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

we just need a new set of voices in the changing room

Xlife
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Xlife »

Googly wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:13 am
We've had 3 new players only in a very long time- Myers, Shumba and Madhevere. They were top u19 players, had a decent early start and immediately people think they're world class with immediate effect. Men's international cricket is next level stuff, it's not easy.
We need at least a dozen of those young guys in a strong domestic and club set up and maybe just maybe 2 will emerge. ZC puts 3 and expects all 3 to be superstarlets. If only cricket was that easy :lol:
Nobody but nobody is emerging from the rest. Take poison on that.

And again our best two from this last u19 are nowhere- both need exposure to franchise cricket. Get Bennett back here!!! They could easily end up being better than these guys...or worse, but they have potential and you have to try because the remainder are not going to cut it. I don't know if that will ever sink in though.
The only guy that I've seen improve significantly after the age of 26/27 is actually Compton. The commentators were talking about him in the Surrey Sussex game last night. They basically concluded that he was a journeyman cricketer having a good season, which I thought was unfair. Watch out for that 16 year old Sussex leggie!! That kid is going to play for England before he's 20. Even the ECB have favorites- they keep plugging Pope who lights it up domestically and is struggling internationally.

We are seeing right now that these first 3 have not taken to it like ducks to water as everyone had hoped. This is a tough sport. Even people on this forum thought that Wes and Shumba would replace any seniors retiring very easily and that we'd need maybe one new guy only from every u19 squad. How wrong were u!!
Here's the proof against a proper bowling attack and we've still got 3 T20's to come to further show there's work to do.
I'm not saying they won't improve, but its going to be tough, and they will not cannot improve in this environment. Things need to change.
The raw talent in those 3 was evident. If they had improved (as you'd expect from most young players in a proper set up) they would be really good and improving. The problem is lack of domestic competition, lack of world class coaching, and they have no incentive to work hard and get better due to a small player base and no decent competition for their spots in the team. So they have regressed instead of improved. Add to that, a Zim sub culture of rolling over and submitting without a fight, which is evident throughout the population

Googly

Post by Googly »

Agreed. They need to be in an HP Centre with a quality coach

Googly

Post by Googly »

Add to that, a Zim sub culture of rolling over and submitting without a fight, which is evident throughout the population
:lol: That's harsh, but probably true.

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

Typical Zim, bowling well in a no cause

Googly

Post by Googly »

Our seamers currently doing well. Plenty of juice in the pitch, overcast cold conditions. We need two or three early wickets with this new ball or its done.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I'd bowl Blessing from the other end

Googly

Post by Googly »

Blessing proving to be a real handful. This pitch has plenty of juice!!!!

zimlover

Post by zimlover »

This is the most aggressive bowling display, I have seen from Chatara and Muzarabani.

I wonder why they don’t bring the same energy most of the time?