1st T20I Vs Afghanistan, 11th June

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Donald

Re: 1st T20I Vs Afghanistan, 11th June

Post by Donald »

I think ndlovu is a wasted pick if he only bowls one over. Get 9 battwrs in if your goibg to do that. Myers or marumani spring to mind.
Maybe shumba needs soms time out, lad is struggling

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Kaia looked good in the one dayers and could well have a future there, but I don't think T20 is his format, looking at his domestic record.

Give Marumani another chance at the top, and get Myers in for Shumba who is bang out of form.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Raza and Burl both deserve to be higher up the order, but I suppose they play a vital role rescuing our top order collapses

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Ya Ndlovu was disappointing. It's annoying because he and Mavuta are the leading spinners domestically but they are clearly nowhere near good enough for this level.

Pray that Masakadza is back for the qualifiers. He's head and shoulders above the rest of our spinners. He's not breathtakingly good or anything but he's damn consistent and reliable.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well they don't bowl Shumba and he bats way down the order and is not firing. A batter coming down the order has to be a hitter like Marumani surely? Are they wanting a guy to come in the 14th over and consolidate because weve lost wickets? Thats a losing formula, not a winning one.
Same story, you play him long enuf he will make some runs and then they say- there you go, we were right! But in the meantime he contributed to however many straight losses. Its the same as Reggie, he finally had a half decent game so they will feel vindicated.
In our team these guys aren't kicking on from 30 to get 70-80. Three guys getting 30 something isn't going to win you games. One guy has to push on or 5 guys have to get 30 something and at 150%.
I've been watching a lot of this T20 blast. Jeez it's a high standard of T20. Our guys would do well to watch how these big teams set about a game. What really sticks out is the standard of bowling. They just don't miss their areas, and yet the good batters get them away. They generally bat freely because there's a good guy in next. We don't seem to have that luxury and waste balls consolidating the innings.
In hindsight that was a 180 plus pitch yesterday. For the first time there was a bit of apprehension amongst those Afghan batters, we could have won that, even with that one expensive over.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Three fielding errors cost us there. Ndlovu's missed dive that would have saved that 4 was critical. Then Wes running past one thst they ran 4 and Shumba fumbling one that got the good batter back for 2 and back on strike. Right there was about 10 runs.

Donald

Post by Donald »

We need to be brave and bat marumani. He has one of the best 20 20 record domestically. Five 20 20 fifties is not to be sniffed at. 24 average too which is actually good for a 2020 batsman

Googly

Post by Googly »

Narine is an amazing spinner. He hits that perfect length at about 90kph. Too fast to come out to, too short too sweep or drive and with a tiny bit of movement so u cant hit thru the line, not short enuf to pull. He adjusts it immediately for the different batsmen and gets 6 out of 6 on the money.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Innocent kai highest score domestically in 20 20 is 47 by comparison. Are we suddenly hoping he will become a worldbeater.
I like him though in the ODI

Googly

Post by Googly »

Donald wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:16 am
We need to be brave and bat marumani. He has one of the best 20 20 record domestically. Five 20 20 fifties is not to be sniffed at. 24 average too which is actually good for a 2020 batsman
:lol: what's brave about it? You sound like a quivering selector, bud. It's just common sense.
Where you bat him is the only thing that requires some thought. And the guy who got 70 off 14 deserves a shot.
We cannot do worse than we're doing now. Give him a go and a license.