2nd T20I vs Afghanistan, 12th June

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: 2nd T20I vs Afghanistan, 12th June

Post by Googly »

Donald wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:55 pm
I liked what i saw of marumani. Think 3 is a good position for him.
Innocent got his highest 20 20 score. Even domestically. That it took so long was very painful. Probably lost the game there. He will get better though.. Remember his first ODI
Tiripano offers nothing.
Drop him for myers next match. At least myers has a bit of bite in his bowling.
Raza played well again. Would be nice if zolsky posts his stats from last few games 😂😂😂
The easiest place to bat in T20 if you're a good batsman is to open. This is the spot for an attacking stroke player. In the good teams one guy generally gets going and his partner takes a bit of a back seat, then in an ideal situation he's in and can change gear when the new batter comes in.
We've always joked that batting at 3 for Zim you'd may as well open. We have to shuffle our line-up to make space for guys that take more than 10 balls to get going, if at all.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:28 am
Would any of our admin be able to approach another board and say - here's my CV, let me run your set up and take you to new heights. .
Mukuhlani is working as an ICC-appointed governance consultant for Cricket Kenya. Genuinely.

Googly

Post by Googly »

It would be interesting if we could track their progress, maybe we are that shit that there's nothing that can be done.
Glad he can find the time.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:01 am
The easiest place to bat in T20 if you're a good batsman is to open. This is the spot for an attacking stroke player. In the good teams one guy generally gets going and his partner takes a bit of a back seat, then in an ideal situation he's in and can change gear when the new batter comes in.
We've always joked that batting at 3 for Zim you'd may as well open. We have to shuffle our line-up to make space for guys that take more than 10 balls to get going, if at all.
Who of our current guys would you have opening? I'd go Marumani and Ervine, but I wouldn't mind experimenting with one of either Burl or Raza either.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Google says Kenya had been given an ultimatum to sort their shit out and he was chairing a meeting between stakeholders to resolve their differences. One of the main areas of contention being their constitution and presumably voting rights because that's what it always boils down to- who holds the purse strings. As a fact that would be our lads' area of expertise locking that down.

As Dhoni pointed out, the guy who has to come in the back half of the game is the guy who has to read the game and try and dicate the pace of it, keep strike where necessary and go big when he has to. The only guy who's done that for us more than a couple of times is Raza so he has to remain floating between 4 and 6 I would think.

Madhevere has to be a consideration to open. He's a stroke player.
Ervine (and Kaia) either bat too slowly or struggle to get going. It sounds stupid, but you almost have to hide them up front. You bring them into middle order when we are probably falling behind a RRR it's likely to compound a problem. A run a ball anchor role is potentially necessary in our team, but it smacks of a defeatist mindset. Building an innings around a slow opener is fine in 50 over, but unless you have some real power hitters at the back end you're not posting anything over 170 too often in T20. If we had a couple more decent batsmen they would be struggling to make the T20 side. Ervine vexes me in this format. Such a good player, but struggles to change gear more often than not.
The few innings Burl gets up the order he also nudges it around like he has all day, but then when he comes in late he has to go hard early. Has he ever opened? I'd really like to see him try.
Ya for me if I just had to choose 2 openers for the next game it would be Burl and Madhevere.
But that's not going to work for team balance when you have to figure out where to put Kaia and Ervine.

Donald

Post by Donald »

When are the qualifiers now?

Remember willians is said to be back soon. He is not explosive but can manipulate scoring with reverse sweeps and generally being innovative.
So i would drop ervine for him.
Myers is someone who i would like to see more of. Are they keeping him in the squad as someone for the future or do they have tangible hopes for him in short term and playing in qualifiers.
If its the latter get him in the team
Last edited by Donald on Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Googly

Post by Googly »

In an ideal scenario you want to end the powerplay 1 down at most and about 50 runs on the board. That's always a good platform. That's going at 8's. That's not easy :lol:
I guess you could send Ervine out with the instruction to get moving or get out? I dunno, it's a tough one.
Maybe Madhevere, Marumani and then Ervine? But now where do you put Kaia?
Maybe Kaia, Marumani, Ervine, Madhevere, Raza, Burl.
It's vexing :lol: :lol: That's slow, fast, slow, fastish, then our two "finishers."
The worst habit our selectors have is batting Burl too low down to attempt to save the blushes. I dunno who's idea that is, but it's wrong.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Does schonken have hopes representing zimbabwe?
He could be one to invest in for the future

Googly

Post by Googly »

Donald wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:31 am
When are the qualifiers now?

Remember willians is said to be back soon. He is not explosive but can manipulate scoring with reverse sweeps and generally being innovative.
So i would drop ervine for him.
Myers is someone who i would like to see more of. Are they keeping him in the squad as someone for the future or do they have tangible hopes for him in short term and playing in qualifiers.
If its the latter get him in the team
Theyre understandably nervous about these qualifiers so they don't want to experiment too much. They want to find a balance that will get us through the qualifiers next month and that means sticking with guys they know. I'd think for them that means experience wins the day.
It's a difficult situation that they've put themselves in by not playing enough T20 domestically and by not playing more international T20's and using them to experiment with a couple of other players and also changing the batting order.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Donald wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:44 am
Does schonken have hopes representing zimbabwe?
He could be one to invest in for the future
Hes still at school. I'm sure he will be around for a while.
Hes just had a horrific injury. Got a return catch and smashed his baby finger, bone sticking out and all.