2nd T20I vs Afghanistan, 12th June

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: 2nd T20I vs Afghanistan, 12th June

Post by secretzimbo »

I'd probably like to try a line-up like this

Marumani and Ervine opening. Give Marumani instructions to just go big from ball 1, hopefully he will last most of the power play and this gives Ervine a couple of overs to settle without pressure.
I'd like to see Burl maybe at three, see how that goes.
4 and 5 I'd have any two of Williams/Madhevere/Myers/Shumba as the classier players who in theory should hopefully be able to adapt to whatever the situation is.
Raza at 6 as the finisher (but his position being fluid depending on the situation)
And then probably the keeper at 7.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I'd like to see Kaia continue in ODIs and he has potential there for sure (and dare I say even in Tests), but I don't think this is his format.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I'll go with the following team for Qualifiers provided everyone is fit.

Kasuza
Marumani
Ervine
Williams
Raza
Shumba
Chakabva
Burl
Evans
Ngarava
Muzarabani

Reserves:
Wellington
Jongwe
Chatara
Kaia

The reason to go with Evans ahead of Chatara is his ability to bat and strike a few, otherwise I'm ok with Chatara in the XI.

Wellington is good but i would want batting depth and 3 fast bowlers, so he has to miss out.

Kasuza and Marumani must open, that is the only way you're going to put some pressure on these associate teams. You don't want Kaia or Ervine to be like 35/1 after 6 against USA and looking at trouble. No way

By the way Zimbabwe have USA in their group so they play USA in a less pressure game, not in KO, so basically we are looking at Zimbabwe, USA and Netherlands, PNG.

If Zim finish first by beating USA and I'm sure the Dutch will finish first in other group with PNG coming 2nd, we are looking at beating PNG for a place in the world Cup. Singapore will be without Tim David for sure and hence not a threat.

If somehow Zimbabwe lose to USA, then it is the more difficult task of beating the Dutch in semi finals.

So all in all, Qualifying is very easy, Unless you mess up really really really BIG time. It can't be easier than this.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Then where do u put Kaia? He will be part of the plans I'm sure.
Who goes when/if Williams returns?
With Shumba not bowling should he be in the side? How do you have a guy in as a batsman way down the order that doesn't bowl?
Myers has potential with bat and ball, for me more so than Milton, but the game is played in the middle, doesn't matter what you look like, its runs on the board that counts.
That Afghan batsman that flat bats everything is offensive but effective :lol:
How long do they persevere with Reggie? Loss of form is one thing, but this is not looking good.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Marumani
Ervine
Burl
Williams / Myers
Madhevere / Shumba
Raza
Chakabva
Evans / Jongwe
Masakadza
Muzarabani
Ngarava / Chatara

That would be my 15 man squad for the qualifiers at this point.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Kasuza may be an option in these qualifiers. Although he can smash it the talk is he will struggle against real quality bowlers. I haven't seen enuf of him to comment.

I just don't think Evans is on their radar at the moment.
If he got an extended go, like pretty much everyone else has had, I think he'd be good, but we are not likely to see that.

Masakadza is our most reliable spinner. I think he has to be in the line up, but only just. If Raza and Burl bowl OK and Madhevere can bowl, with two out and out seamers and an all-rounder that's 6 bowlers. A pure spinner has to justify his spot with some seriously tight bowling.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Ya Reggie's form is a massive problem.

But what is the alternative?

Young Madande is promising but I'd say Reggie is much better with the gloves, he's in the form of his life behind the sticks actually - far better than he used to be, whereas Madande only took up serious keeping a couple of years ago I believe? You also Regis' leadership and experience - it's noticeable that in most matches he ends up setting the fields and being the main motivator. Probably quite useful when you have a naturally quiet captain like Craig.

The other alternative is Mutumbami and I really don't want to go back there.

Depth depth depth!!!! :x

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Googly wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:29 am
Then where do u put Kaia? He will be part of the plans I'm sure.
Who goes when/if Williams returns?
With Shumba not bowling should he be in the side? How do you have a guy in as a batsman way down the order that doesn't bowl?
Myers has potential with bat and ball, for me more so than Milton, but the game is played in the middle, doesn't matter what you look like, its runs on the board that counts.
That Afghan batsman that flat bats everything is offensive but effective :lol:
How long do they persevere with Reggie? Loss of form is one thing, but this is not looking good.
No. I won't have Kaia in my team. He is not needed when you have two accumulators in Williams and Ervine and both are better than Kaia. Don't need three such players.

Myers is not even in my squad, you cannot be out of the game for an year and then expect to be in the team. Not at all.

I'll have Shumba, he has shown immense promise in the past, more so than Wes, Myers and Burl so i won't let recency bias impact his position.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Good points

Googly

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:20 am
I'd probably like to try a line-up like this

Marumani and Ervine opening. Give Marumani instructions to just go big from ball 1, hopefully he will last most of the power play and this gives Ervine a couple of overs to settle without pressure.
I'd like to see Burl maybe at three, see how that goes.
4 and 5 I'd have any two of Williams/Madhevere/Myers/Shumba as the classier players who in theory should hopefully be able to adapt to whatever the situation is.
Raza at 6 as the finisher (but his position being fluid depending on the situation)
And then probably the keeper at 7.
Marumani doesn't need to be told to go big from ball 1.
I think he needs to be told to be a bit more selective actually. He's got a fantastic eye, and if anything is too aggressive.