Dave Houghton Head Coach

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Re: Dave Houghton Head Coach

Post by sam_ahm »

Dave becoming head coach must have played a part in Sean Williams coming back.

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Out of the ashes: The rebirth of Zimbabwean cricket

https://amp.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... 2055cc9d71
(Use 12ft ladder to remove paywall)

We’ve heard this all before, but maybe this time

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Holy shit, that sounds extremely positive.
I'm surprised Welch's name hasn't come up in this article.
They sound very much like preliminary chats to me, but it's brilliant that we have a coach with some pulling power. The temptation of a world cup must be there for these boys. I don't see Byrom making a uturn, and I just can't see Gary Ballance playing. Melton and Welch are the two blokes I would say are in the mix.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

WC qualification can attract a lot of talent and I've been saying this for sometime now.

If Zim can do well in the T20 WC, as in make the Super 12 and somehow miraculously make the 50 over WC, then we are looking at a lot of interest from good players and a lot of existing young talent sticking around as well.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I see the entire Scottish Board has resigned after accusations of institutional racism from their keeper.
Gus Mackay was their chairman. That's going to be an interesting report.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Majid Haq. You'd think by now he'd be McHaq.

Googly

Post by Googly »

That report quotes DH as having spoken with Ballance and Byrom many times, but there's nothing concrete there.
Byrom has real potential as a red ball player so why would he consider coming back to play one test a year for Zim?
He's also decent at 50 over though, but he could become a very special red ball opener, and the future for that here is grim.

I think Ballance's future partly lies on the outcome of this last closed door hearing at Yorkshire. He's married and I think she's English so that's also a factor.

And of course there's the money. If the money makes sense you can tempt these guys, despite our cricket looking really grim.
I just have a feeling in my water that Ballance will come.

If Melton doesn't get another offer he's not spoilt for choice, but he's not direct injection, he'd have to do some yards in FC. He's a good bowler and can actually bat a bit so that would make somebody sad because he'd walk into this side.
I would think Schardendorf will get a renewal at Notts, he's their reserve keeper. He's at least 2 years away from being at risk.
Ben Curran had a good T20 campaign and he's definitely going to get games in the RL (50 over). All these county teams need depth so I'd be surprised if he wasn't re-signed.
His family are established there, that would be a big move. Maybe he wants out from their shadow? Only he can answer that.
Hes a good player, possibly better than a few of our lads

The report also says that they must initiate comms so it's a bit contradictory. ZC don't want it to appear as if they're desperate, which they're not because they really dont understand how deep the shit is, they're being told its deep, but they're still not sure, exacerbated by the fact that we've just won 5 games on the trot. It's made Raza a National Treasure and he could well get an audience and a plot of land.

If we beat Bangladesh they'll believe their advisors are being alarmist.

I think you might find Ballance and Byrom back for this coming season as a preliminary foray.
It doesn't change the fact that whoever comes it's a bit of a stop gap. We need way more depth than that.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Questions that the board must answer is are they happy that teams like afghanistan and bangladesh are leapfrogging us in cricket and we have regressed?
Do we want a competitive team and climb up rankings?
Are they aware that Ervine Williams Raza and Chakhabva are in dad's army territory and wont be around forever?

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

I really hope Welch comes back.
He's a serious batter. He absolutely smacks it up top and has so much time. I still think that he's the main guy to get a call up/contract.

Madhevere
Shumba
Marumani
Madande
Evans
Welch
Myers
Munyonga (massively rate this kid)
Perhaps some of the former under 19 lads like Matty Welch and the Bennets and Falao. I really really REALLY liked the look of young Schonken too. Such amazing control for a kid his age, was getting young Cremer vibes ala 2005.

Those are healthy names to be getting on with. We just need to build depth in numbers and youngsters. If Ballance does come back, that would be a massive green flag for the Zimbos around the world to give ZC another shot. Maybe even Ryan Murray could do a 180.
Man, he would fit perfectly right now