Dave Houghton Head Coach

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Xlife
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Dave Houghton Head Coach

Post by Xlife »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:42 pm
Donald wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:26 pm
I think the biggest take out from this is that we may be seeing sean williams for hopefully another few years.
I think rajput really grinded williams gears so much so that he was going to quit. I remember words like he creates a bad atmosphere and discord in dressing room ( williams on rajput)
Oh Williams disliked him for sure, and I doubt he was the only one.

I hear Raza absolutely despised him, and tried to get rid of him in Ireland last year. Remember Raza was 'dropped' from the T20 side to 'allow young players a chance'? Yeah that was in response to a massive fall out between the two that happened before departure to Europe. Took some effort from Hammy and Craig to reconcile the pair. I suppose Indians and Pakistanis are always going to have difficulties getting along though.

That may explain why Raza appeared to deliberately get himself out, to make sure the coach was going 🤔

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

So Houghton is coach, but how the heck did Rajput get the role of Technical Director? Is that role not responsible for the structure and foundation of how Zim Cricket should develop and progress? What the actual eff

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Xlife wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:13 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:42 pm
Donald wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:26 pm
I think the biggest take out from this is that we may be seeing sean williams for hopefully another few years.
I think rajput really grinded williams gears so much so that he was going to quit. I remember words like he creates a bad atmosphere and discord in dressing room ( williams on rajput)
Oh Williams disliked him for sure, and I doubt he was the only one.

I hear Raza absolutely despised him, and tried to get rid of him in Ireland last year. Remember Raza was 'dropped' from the T20 side to 'allow young players a chance'? Yeah that was in response to a massive fall out between the two that happened before departure to Europe. Took some effort from Hammy and Craig to reconcile the pair. I suppose Indians and Pakistanis are always going to have difficulties getting along though.

That may explain why Raza appeared to deliberately get himself out, to make sure the coach was going 🤔
Rajput was apparently informed of the decision before play early in the morning, although I don't know if the players knew.

They played like shite either way :lol:

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:30 pm
So Houghton is coach, but how the heck did Rajput get the role of Technical Director? Is that role not responsible for the structure and foundation of how Zim Cricket should develop and progress? What the actual eff
I'm guessing (hoping?) that it's just because they don't want to fork out to buy out his contract so they've just re-deployed him to a non-job. He'll probably be based in India 100% of the time and I don't think anyone will really listen to him.

Hopefully he can't do much more damage.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I've heard from a very reliable source that the main reason Houghton has been brought in is to specifically entice overseas players who have left and are playing county or grade cricket. What the fellas on the forum who are on ground zero have been saying about it getting desperate appears to carry some weight. My source knows Hammie personally and he's had conversations with him about getting two or three players back for the next world cup. I don't know who these kids are but this is great news if that's the case.
I'm hoping Nick Welch and Ben Curran are two names to be in the mix. I won't be holding any hope for Byrom or Ballance and Muyeye sounds like he hates the place.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Schadendorff is the one we should be aiming to get back

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

Welch would be the most likely/easiest to entice

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Melton is a free agent so seems the 'easiest'.

Ben Curran might find himself with a reduced (white ball only) contract from Northants for next season - ZC may actually be more lucrative than that. He's probably second on the easy list.

Welch third, he must be getting frustrated by the lack of opportunities, although considering the years and years of toil in England I can't see him giving up on it yet.

Don't get your hopes up. I can't see much happening.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

As Kimi Raikkonen said after his win at COTA, 2018...

"F****** FINALLY!!!"

But anyway, this would mean nothing if some fundamental changes are done with the setup and approach. Definitely need a new captain. Ervine should be replaced and that might prolong his playing days at least.

Yeah, and hopefully we'll see Williams back!

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:25 pm
I've heard from a very reliable source that the main reason Houghton has been brought in is to specifically entice overseas players who have left and are playing county or grade cricket. What the fellas on the forum who are on ground zero have been saying about it getting desperate appears to carry some weight. My source knows Hammie personally and he's had conversations with him about getting two or three players back for the next world cup. I don't know who these kids are but this is great news if that's the case.
I'm hoping Nick Welch and Ben Curran are two names to be in the mix. I won't be holding any hope for Byrom or Ballance and Muyeye sounds like he hates the place.
Ballance will defibitely be the number one target, Id put my life on that.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*