Dave Houghton Head Coach

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Dave Houghton Head Coach

Post by TapsC2 »

Yes Rajput is no longer the coach but we must not forget maybe 2/3 of our domestic players have been found out in the last 2 months. Dale Steyn or Lance Kulsener can't help some of those guys. I really do believe we need a sports psychologist. What I saw with our batting performance today was absolutely shocking. All those guys were given a chance to put their hand up over the last 2 months and we can only say Kaia and Evans did something. Another 13 or 14 guys did nothing.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Competition for places is key. I think an example of competition working for us is that over the last few years if people have noticed, any new opener who comes fights to the last drop even if their ability is limited. From the combo of Kasuza and Prince, then Kaitano and now Kaia. They know they only have maybe 1 chance to do something or else they are gone. They are better for me than Chari and K-Long who were just given maybe 20 opportunities but failed to produce. We need that kind of pressure on all the spots.

ZIMFAN

Post by ZIMFAN »

My biggest hope about Dave is that he would relate to and attract the diaspora in a way that his predecessor never would be able to.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

I can't see him having an immediate impact on overseas based players simply because most are under contract etc and have their own plans. And I still don't think this board is ever going to go down the actively importing players route again.

But if it comes to the end of the English season and someone like a Ben Curran finds himself out of contract or a Dustin Melton hasn't secured a new gig anywhere, I do think the possibility of playing under Houghton is obviously a lot more enticing than playing under the Indian fraud.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I wonder if we'll see any changes to the squad for the qualifiers. I'm guessing Dave will get a bit of leeway at first and allowed quite a big say on selections initially.

Although it's only three weeks away and theres no more official games - might play it safe and just go with largely the tried and tested? Although they mostly all failed that test :lol: :lol:

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

I'm afraid we have just entered another "rebuilding phase"

Donald

Post by Donald »

I think the biggest take out from this is that we may be seeing sean williams for hopefully another few years.
I think rajput really grinded williams gears so much so that he was going to quit. I remember words like he creates a bad atmosphere and discord in dressing room ( williams on rajput)

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

Googly wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:25 pm
The Robot wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:12 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:05 pm

I was eating a bacon and egg McMuffin today and started thinking of you. How’s your mum doing?
I am with your sis & mom.Son hope you are alright. If you are not send all your family female members to me, will make you proud
A dickhead with a sense of humour. :lol:
Good luck for what's coming your way
Join your hands and pray for the dick. Good things will happen for you & Zim. Good to see Zim showing interest in indian dicks
Robo to rule :oops:

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Donald wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:26 pm
I think the biggest take out from this is that we may be seeing sean williams for hopefully another few years.
I think rajput really grinded williams gears so much so that he was going to quit. I remember words like he creates a bad atmosphere and discord in dressing room ( williams on rajput)
Oh Williams disliked him for sure, and I doubt he was the only one.

I hear Raza absolutely despised him, and tried to get rid of him in Ireland last year. Remember Raza was 'dropped' from the T20 side to 'allow young players a chance'? Yeah that was in response to a massive fall out between the two that happened before departure to Europe. Took some effort from Hammy and Craig to reconcile the pair. I suppose Indians and Pakistanis are always going to have difficulties getting along though.

Donald

Post by Donald »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:42 pm
Donald wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:26 pm
Oh Williams disliked him for sure, and I doubt he was the only one.

I hear Raza absolutely despised him, and tried to get rid of him in Ireland last year. Remember Raza was 'dropped' from the T20 side to 'allow young players a chance'? Yeah that was in response to a massive fall out between the two that happened before departure to Europe. Took some effort from Hammy and Craig to reconcile the pair. I suppose Indians and Pakistanis are always going to have difficulties getting along though.
Hopefully there will be less Rajput discord and more of a harmonious atmosphere in dressing room with houghton at least.
That might make a 5% difference in performance