Dave Houghton Head Coach

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
tej_27

Re: Dave Houghton Head Coach

Post by tej_27 »

I think the easiest kill here is Nick Welch .he should be back for us after some persuasion. He still has zimbwean flag in his insta bio showing that he has soft corner and respect for zimbabwe and is not trying to become English like most of the other UK based players.

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

Someone mentioned here why would one go to ireland over zimbabwe i think the state of the country also matters. Ireland is a first world country and even if u don't play much cricket u will still live a very happy satisfied life while in zimbabwe i believe there is daily struggle ..and that is why I feel if byrom has a chance he too will move to ireland instead of zimbabwe

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Well it's not a struggle here if you are on a national team contract! Those guys are getting handsomely paid nowadays. Moor's family is very rich anyway - they have fingers in a lot of pies, gambling/bookies especially.

And ya times are tough and the problems are endless here but it's still a better place to live than Ireland surely :lol: I know where I'd rather be!

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:51 pm
Well it's not a struggle here if you are on a national team contract! Those guys are getting handsomely paid nowadays. Moor's family is very rich anyway - they have fingers in a lot of pies, gambling/bookies especially.

And ya times are tough and the problems are endless here but it's still a better place to live than Ireland surely :lol: I know where I'd rather be!
What's your job secret?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

A bit of this, a bit of that :lol:

my family have land, brother works in law (in SA) and I do a couple of days a week assisting him from home/online, but mainly I have some investments and shares in a few businesses here in the midlands

Terryalderman

Post by Terryalderman »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:30 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:51 pm

What's your job secret?
He’s a journalist for ZCF!

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

:lol: More of a hobby surely?

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

tej_27 wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:21 pm
I think the easiest kill here is Nick Welch .he should be back for us after some persuasion. He still has zimbwean flag in his insta bio showing that he has soft corner and respect for zimbabwe and is not trying to become English like most of the other UK based players.
I reckon keep an eye on his citizenship application.
I think for life backup, he won’t make any moves until he secures a UK passport.
I know he didn’t have one and common sense dictates that if he comes this far and close he will see that through at least.
It’ll be soon.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

A couple of overseas players might come back but I'm pretty sure Dave is looking to work with the existing players mostly and build a good team. Hopefully some of those U19s can be groomed and persuaded to stay the likes of Bennet brothers, Nick Welch, Falao and then develop the likes of Wes, Shumba, Myers and players like Evans will feel more confident of a longer rope now. That's the more realistic scenario I think.

Also, there is little hope ZC will allow a lot of white UK based players to come back. Highly unlikely.

Wasn't Jarvis supposed to be a talent scout? 😂 what is he doing?? 😂😂

Kallum

Post by Kallum »

Fair play to ZC for not pussy footing around Rajput for the entirety of the remainder of his new contract. Got to give credit where credit is due and bringing back Houghton is a great appointment both for rejuvenating interest in cricket from both the external and internal players given that you have a guy who has both been an extremely successful player as well as a successful coach.

In terms of Ballance i genuinely dont believe they will get him. The security of finance and life that he has in Yorkshire are likely what he will do with the rest of his career.

I see Nick Welch got a game for Leicestershire yesterday and did well, but you guys are much more informed of how things are with him than i am.

Dane Schadendorf seems to be a possibility. Only really seems likely to play in what is effectively a 2nd xi List A tournament in the UK every season atm and is likely only on a (UK wise) small salary for a professional athlete.

In a dream world I would love to get Ryan Higgins but with his latest contract as a domestic player in the Hundred he is just making so much more money than i feel ZC would be willing to invest.

My shopping list given the 2 batters, 1 keeper and a bowler would be - say we have $120k per year for these

1. Nick Welch
2. Eddie Byrom - he has said on interview that he wanted to qualify for england but with him coming to the end of a 2 year contract with Glamorgan and still having very few opportunities I think he would be possible to lure back. An opener with alot of learning to do he shouldnt cost too much either.
3. Dane Schadendorf - he is the must have keeper for Chevrons future i feel - no doubt Clive Madande would feel hard done by but competition between the two cant hurt can it.
4. Dustin Melton - out of contract, out of luck - ZC give this man a home.