Dave Houghton Head Coach

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Mueddie28

Re: Dave Houghton Head Coach

Post by Mueddie28 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:33 am
Fast bowlers get injured regularly so I don't think Evans and Melton would face too much resistance. They thought they had that department covered but the last few months have shown we need more depth there.

Ideally I think if they really did task DH with vision 2027 a lower order like this could be what we can aim for:

7-Burl
8-Evans/Wellington
9- Blessing
10- Melton
11- Ngarava

Wellington has a big role to play in the future unless Shumba really works on his bowling. At the moment he still isn't a necessity as long as Williams is still around but I doubt the current senior players will be there in 2027. I'm thinking they will retire maybe in 2024 after the t20 world cup.

This is why I also think the smart move for Byrom would be to wait until Williams and co retire. Give it a real shot out there and if you fail put yourself in a position where you can get a bumper ZC contract. Ballance is a superstar so he has nothing to worry about and I think Welch is better off here. Ballance, Welch and Melton make the most sense.
6 jongwe / shumba
7-Burl
8-Evans/Wellington
9- Blessing
10- Melton
11- Ngarava

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

I will be happy if at least 2 of them can be signed, by preference order:

1. Gary Ballance
2. Hilton Cartwright
3. Ryan Higgins
4. Nick Welch
5. Eddie Byrom
6. Dustin Melton
7. Tawanda Muyeye
8. Dane Schadendorf

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

Detective RDS wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:00 am
I will be happy if at least 2 of them can be signed, by preference order:

1. Gary Ballance
2. Hilton Cartwright
3. Ryan Higgins
4. Nick Welch
5. Eddie Byrom
6. Dustin Melton
7. Tawanda Muyeye
8. Dane Schadendorf
Ryan higgins the MVP💥

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Higgins is a fantastic player. Doesn't get the credit he deserves.

No chance of him coming here though - he will have a very long and successful county career for sure.

Googly

Post by Googly »

We need all 8 plus Matigimu. We need depth and options.
That's the problem. These dudes think one guy fixes everything. Fuck it up for 20 years, pick one guy to save the day at the 12th hour and carry on enjoying the good life, if only it were that easy :lol:
They still can't pick the strongest squad out of our existing players :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Higgins is decent for sure. He's got better stats than Curran, which is where I was going with that conversation.
That's before you even get to Willey, who never gets a game

Googly

Post by Googly »

Higgins left Middlesex because he wasn't being selected, goes to Gloucestershire and his career kicks off. Believe me that had something to do with him not being a born and bred.
The reality was that he wasn't doing that well at Middlesex.
There are so many damned good cricketers that fade away because some dipshit doesn't like them personally or prefers someone else. If I was a cricketer I'd go on a Dale Carnegie course because it's more important than your cricketing ability.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Probably similar things going on with Welch at Leicester. He finally got some T20 games towards the end of the competition and I'm sure he'll play the List A stuff next month. But how he doesn't get in their completely awful championship team is beyond me. Dominates at 2s level and has dominated in club cricket too this year (he plays in Surrey for club cricket weirdly).

The only explanations are someone taking exception to him because he's a Zimbo or he's just fell out with someone.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya to date they've effectively hamstrung his progress. He's been contracted for 2 years and not played one full 50 over or 4 day game!! That's a world record, and if you consider that Leicestershire are bottom of the log and have changed their team less than any other county it doesn't make sense. They've plugged away with the same guys that don't get them over the line. They're all good players, but they invariably get beat on the day. Its actually their seam bowling that let's them down more than their batting. Even Hendricks and Mulder have taken tap. They actually sat Mulder (their overseas) out of some T20 games. :lol: :lol: The guy is a world class international player yet couldn't get a start in the Leicestershire side. If I were on their Board I'd have been asking the coach to justify that!!

They've given other guys opportunities that have been released from other counties long before they've given NW a run. Rishi Patel (ex Essex) is a good example. He's a world class looking player right up to the point where he inexplicably goes out, beautiful stylish technique, maybe the best in England actually, but he's been 4 years as a pro with only 4 fifties and 1 hundred? . They have about 3 similar guys that seem to just do just enough to justify ongoing selections and NW has been forced to sit and wait and nobody really knows why.
Ackerman, their captain once went about 15 innings without getting into double figures, then out of nowhere had 3 fantastic T20 innings and an unbelievable 250 in red ball. But which county will let you go 15 innings without a score? Thats Kohli and Zimbabwe territory.

They've had opportunity to pick up 2 really good older players with good stats that had been released and they've plugged for cheaper options hoping they'll come good. If I were them I'd have really pushed the boat out to get Byrom, but they'd want a Byrom at 2k a month :lol: , they're better off buying lotto tickets. They're the only county with this strategy. The problem is if those guys do end up doing well they're unlikely to pay to retain them. I saw Azhad didn't play the last red ball and I'll bet my bottom dollar that it's a contractual dispute. If they let him go they're dumb. They'll lose Riahn Ahmed the second his contract is up for renewal and again I'll bet my bottom dollar they're going to lose Benny Mike, he'll have other counties after him and they won't match the offer. Ben Mike has a big career ahead of him, they'd be incredibly short sighted to let him go, he's a proper player. He might be the best no 8 batsman in County and bowls quick, but he's wayward. Anyone who does well at Leicestershire gets poached by Notts. I'm sure money is tight for them, but surely pay fewer players better or they'll stay at the bottom of the pile.

If you gave NW 4 years or even 15 innings like they seem to give a lot of others he'd be an established pro by now and an absolute gun T20 opener. Something doesn't stack up.
I'd think a lot hinges on how he goes in this RL 50 over comp which has been weakened by guys playing the 100 and he's going to need to go big in at least 3 games and at least get them starts in a couple of others. That's assuming he opens, they may bat him middle order, who knows with them.

Surrey have 13 guys playing in the 100 and yet they'll still put out a strong list A team. They're the Takashinga of English Cricket :lol:
They'd happily sign 200 players and pat themselves on the back because they're so good.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

6/6 for Dave so far!