Zimbabwe Vs United States of America T20 Qualifier 2022

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Zimbabwe Vs United States of America T20 Qualifier 2022

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:02 am
TapsC2 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:12 am
Shumba is another guy who is batting too low.
Who would he bat ahead of? I've not seen him have a good T20 innings at a decent strike rate.
I'm sure he's capable. As with most things cricket, you usually only get a few opportunities to show what you've got and you've got to grab a couple.
Chakabva and Ervine are the two guys that aren't doing too well. Both of them look hugely capable right up to the point where they go out prematurely playing stupid shots. Ervine averages around 23 at 120% and Reggie about 17 at a similar strike rate. I'm not too sure what opposition that's against, but mostly associate level I'd think and those are not great stats. It's mostly about the strike rate. You need to be averaging at least in the high twenties, but at around 140% plus and then you're really doing your job as an opener, well anywhere in the line-up actually.
You're seeing less batsmen in good teams going at a run a ball for 20 deliveries with a view to going big thereafter. If you get out at that point you've essentially chewed up at least an over.
Lower down the order even if you had an average in the high teens but at 140-150% you're also doing a good job.
It's extreme, but Burl's innings of 8 off 2 at the back end is not shit, it's a lot better than 12 off 12.
I saw Ervine do an old fashioned thing yesterday. He hit a great shot, got the next delivery in his slot and took a single, you've just got to believe in yourself and keep banging them in that powerplay. If you can get just one over to go for 20 it instantly changes the game.
You are right. It's a tough one. The problem is we have too many players who are very similar. I was thinking of Shumba in Scotland who took about 20 deliveries to really get going but he exploded when he did get going.

All our best batsmen need at least 8 deliveries to get going which against good sides isn't good enough. If we somehow make the Super 12 we will be exposed badly with that kind of batting.

The American opener is an example of what we need at the top. You can tell he is a serious associate bully. Had he stayed in another 5 overs we would have been in trouble. Marumani is the only guy I can think on who is capable of doing that at this level at least
Last edited by TapsC2 on Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

And yes that Burl 8 off 3 was decent actually in the context of the game

Googly

Post by Googly »

Even the best guys struggle when the pitch is holding up a bit, but they assess the conditions immediately and generally hit it a bit squarer.
If the deck is decent you just have to be bloody bold and resolute.
In David Miller's words - "if its in the V hit it in the tree, if it's in your arc, hit it out the park!"
The good openers generally keep fairly still on the crease as well, no big triggers and they want to come forward. I don't think there are too many good back foot T20 openers.

Donald

Post by Donald »

I have serious reservations about taking Ervine to the world cup.

Its not an age thing as williams and raza are blossoming and doing good still. I dont believe he is a 20 20 player. I would rather marumani partners up with chakhabva for example at top of order or we make a play for nick welch when his county contract runs out in september