Squad for Bangladesh T20s

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Squad for Bangladesh T20s

Post by Googly »

Yvmnaidu wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:38 am
Evans should selected for t20. he has good variations. if we dnt select him he will same like pj moor.
Have u even watched him? What variations does he have?

Donald

Post by Donald »

I watched Evans in the nepal games and he seemed more effective in the one dayers than 20 20 matches. Got a lot of swing.
Let's hope the selectors are following a similar thought process.
I would like to think Houghton has told him you will be in one day squad

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

He's better than Chivanga at least.

But I wouldn't want to be the selector telling Chivanga that :lol: :-o

Googly

Post by Googly »

I'm 100% certain that if it was up to Houghton he'd be in the T20 starting line-up.
Do we need good seaming all-rounders or don't we?

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

This is ZC guys. The squad could change overnight. Somebody who isn't even in the bigger 20 man squad could play on Sunday. I'm sure all of them will get a game. Especially in the ODIs where there really is nothing on the line.

Got a feeling if Chivanga fails this time he might be done.

Donald

Post by Donald »

We have seen some petty moves from ZC.
Remember chisoro got punished for going to england when he was selected for a zimbabwe series.
If i recall rightly Evans went to england lasr year when he was selected for a Zimbabwe A series.
Now im not sure the rights and wrongs on both sides and i dont want to speculate but you can bet that ZC havent forgotten.

Googly

Post by Googly »

It's the only way to deal with this. If one guy is constantly being picked ahead of a better player, just keep giving him the new ball or bat him up the order or whatever and let him have an extended shot. If he takes his chances then good luck to him, but the deal has to be then give the other guy the same opportunity if the first guy doesn't work out.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The problem in cricket is you can hide an underperformer if you want to. Put a guy on at first or second change and give him 2 overs, or bat him at 8 or 9 where he won't likely get a bat or the game is gone and he's not expected to perform miracles.
Underperformer is probably the wrong word. I mean a guy who's not doing anything noteworthy. I'm not singling anyone out here, I try and avoid that, everyone is giving of their best, but Evans potentially could go on to become a really good cricketer and he's being denied. Everyone in Zim gets thrown in the deep end before they're ready and it usually doesn't work out anyway, but Evans clearly is going to have to really perform in the domestic stuff so he just cant be ignored and it will have to coincide with not only an individual underperforming, but the team as well.
Those are two likely scenarios so he just has to be fit and ready.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Nyauchi was very poor in Nepal and musukanda has come from nowhere. A 93 against a channel island in a warm up game shoudnt give you a free pass when you have been poor in the domestic 20 20 matches.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I beg to differ slightly. For sure we have 25 guys that have done better than him of late, but he's still bloody talented.
If I had a choice between coaching a guy that was averaging 35 in domestic but was limited and Tari, I'd pick Tari all day.
In theory he should have to get it right in domestic this season, but the clock is ticking for us. If they include him in these 20 man squads it will do him the world of good. I don't know the guy personally and clearly he's got looming issues, but I've watched him bat a few times and he's got huge potential. That only gets you so far and you have to make runs at the end of the day, but we are so short of guys capable of playing international cricket that I don't have a problem with not following normal processes.
The guys that feel aggrieved for being bypassed who have done well domestically I feel for. Evans is a good example.
Kaia will also be biting his tongue and asking himself what he has to do. This is a cruel game and the selectors play God.