Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh 3rd T20 decider 2nd Aug 2022

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh 3rd T20 decider 2nd Aug 2022

Post by secretzimbo »

I was in the air today so missed all of this. Delighted to land with four balls to go and see a victory!

Few thoughts...

What’s the point of announcing a squad if you are going to just pick random players from elsewhere? I’m glad Evans played though. We’ve been saying for 18 months this guy has what it takes. So happy for him.

Masara is a very weird selection. He’s 31 and has only played a handful of domestic matches. He did well this season but then struggled in Nepal with the A team. I just don’t get this selection. The only explanation is that they have tried Ndlovu and Mavuta in recent months and they’ve been shit. So I suppose it’s worth trying someone else. It just shows how far ahead Wellington is and how few spinners we have in the system though.

This new all-out aggressiveness in the batting is ‘interesting’ to say the least. It’s a great strategy when you have world class players but I think Klusener and Houghton need to realise we don’t have many, if any, world class batters (in this format). It worked against the very weak opposition we faced in the qualifiers but it’s all a bit crazy against proper teams like this. 76-6 off 14 overs is very very bad, unacceptable. Thankfully a great rescue job down the order by Burl and Jongwe!

Still no game for Marumani which is baffling. He’s becoming a professional drinks-carrier. If we are really set on this ultra-aggressive approach then surely we need to pick the only guy in the country who is confident hitting from ball one? I don’t understand why we are selecting 4 or 5 ‘anchor’ type players but telling them to hit sixes from the very first ball. That’s like asking an offie to bowl leg spin. Get Marumani in the team and maybe even Munyonga and possibly this aggressive approach with the bat could be a bit more successful.

Shouldn’t be too critical - sounds like a great game and great to actually win a series for once. What a difference Houghton has made!

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

If anyone sees a video from Burl’s 34-run over on social media or anything please post a link! Would love to see it.

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:07 pm
If anyone sees a video from Burl’s 34-run over on social media or anything please post a link! Would love to see it.
https://twitter.com/FanCode/status/1554 ... Wu6xQ&s=19

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:07 pm
I was in the air today so missed all of this. Delighted to land with four balls to go and see a victory!

Few thoughts...

What’s the point of announcing a squad if you are going to just pick random players from elsewhere? I’m glad Evans played though. We’ve been saying for 18 months this guy has what it takes. So happy for him.

Masara is a very weird selection. He’s 31 and has only played a handful of domestic matches. He did well this season but then struggled in Nepal with the A team. I just don’t get this selection. The only explanation is that they have tried Ndlovu and Mavuta in recent months and they’ve been shit. So I suppose it’s worth trying someone else. It just shows how far ahead Wellington is and how few spinners we have in the system though.

This new all-out aggressiveness in the batting is ‘interesting’ to say the least. It’s a great strategy when you have world class players but I think Klusener and Houghton need to realise we don’t have many, if any, world class batters (in this format). It worked against the very weak opposition we faced in the qualifiers but it’s all a bit crazy against proper teams like this. 76-6 off 14 overs is very very bad, unacceptable. Thankfully a great rescue job down the order by Burl and Jongwe!

Still no game for Marumani which is baffling. He’s becoming a professional drinks-carrier. If we are really set on this ultra-aggressive approach then surely we need to pick the only guy in the country who is confident hitting from ball one? I don’t understand why we are selecting 4 or 5 ‘anchor’ type players but telling them to hit sixes from the very first ball. That’s like asking an offie to bowl leg spin. Get Marumani in the team and maybe even Munyonga and possibly this aggressive approach with the bat could be a bit more successful.

Shouldn’t be too critical - sounds like a great game and great to actually win a series for once. What a difference Houghton has made!
Nothing wrong with a 31 year old spinner or cricketer for that matter. Look at prabath jayasuriya, spinning circles and debuting after 30. Leggies, like masara is, can also take a long time to develop.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Key difference of course being that P Jayasuriya played 160+ professional cricket matches before making his international debut. Masara has played about 10.

Definitely the most bizarre selection since Innocent Kaia turned up out of the blue in Scotland and the commentators didn't even know his name when he walked out to bat!

Donald

Post by Donald »

In Houghton we trust
Super Dave
Super Burl
Super Jongwe
Super evans and nyauchi

Wow we have depth for the first time 😀😀

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

But still no Marumani :(
Hope to see him in 50 over match :?

Donald

Post by Donald »

Marshmallow wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:02 pm
But still no Marumani :(
Hope to see him in 50 over match :?
Ervines best format and williams and raza.
He could come in for Shumba however. He is having a horrific time.
That is probably the only batting slot available for Marumani but they will have to bench Shumba in process

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

To be honest what I saw of Masara it looks like he is a bit different. Still needs to do a lot of work but from the 6 deliveries I saw and what I have heard he is one of these "quicker" leggies. The half trackers he dished up were relatively quick and not actually that easy to hit for 6 if you have never faced him before. Definitely a lot faster than Burl and Mavuta.

Doing a bit more research it looks like he played his first T20 match in March, 3 of those "regional" matches of ours and straight to Nepal. There must be something about him. We definitely don't have anybody who bowls like that from what I have seen. DH was the head of the Mountaineers so he must have seen a bit of him

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

A T20 series win after a T20 tournament win? What year is this? How did this come to pass?