Gary ballance bombshell switch

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Donald

Re: Gary ballance bombshell switch

Post by Donald »

Ballance is 33

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Massive if he does play for Zimbabwe

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Confirmed by Mukuhlani on twitter

Kallum

Post by Kallum »

Confirmed on all ZC socials now that he has agreed a 2 year contract to play domestically and more importantly internationally too! That's the number 3 slot with a genuinely world class batter sorted for the side for the future then

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Absolutely massive news. I'm travelling from Sunday but tempted to get down to HSC on Saturday to watch if he is making his debut.

Googly

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:24 pm
jaybro wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:55 pm
I remember when Murray Goodwin was approached to comeback in 2011 they said they didn’t want another old white player taking the spot of a young black player.

Indeed it seems times have changed
The premise hasn't changed and neither have the underlying attitudes and opinions. What has changed is that the current cartel have finally at long last realised that they have a far greater chance of keeping their snouts in the trough for longer if results on the pitch are decent.
So who exactly harbours those attitudes? How deep does it run? We know the usual suspects. How uncomfortable must it be to realise that some of the current guys are not competitive enough. I think that's been apparent for a while but they're finally being quite pro-active. What will cause consternation in some quarters and delight in others is if Ballance doesn't fire. This is not their first rodeo importing/recalling players and it's been a mixed bag.
Johnson and Goodwin were game changers. Mire, Chivanga, BT and Jarvis not so much.

Ballance usually bats at 3. I wonder where the optimum spot is in our side? He's likely to come in earlier than usual so 4 would probably be more suitable.
It doesn't change the fact that we are still looking for more reliable openers. He can also turn his arm over and what is interesting is that he's a very astute captain.
He will also easily make our T20 side.

The inclusion of some overseas has been good, but they've not been that consistent. It doesn't lend much weight to those of us that think our domestic cricket is not strong enough and they're there to improve the standard. How well have they done this season so far? It would be interesting to speak to a few local players and coaches and get their take about the overseas guys as a whole and about individual players.
Are they thinking this guy is useful, he's overrated, I can make little changes to match him, or what? It has to be a beneficial process for the local players and coaches.
Anyone who understands cricket will enjoy the way Byrom sets about a red ball game, he's a very very organised, technically excellent player, but finds ways of getting out.
Whilst they haven't shone, you generally have to bowl a very good ball to get them out, they don't give it away.
Overall I think they've made the cricket more competitive for certain. Its been good, and there's more to come. Let's hope the hierarchy and the influencers also see it like that.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Imagine being Ben Curran and thinking you could make Ervine maybe drop to number 4 then they sign Ballance :lol: he will probably have to open now. Ballance was always going to get a contract immediately. He is world class. Let's hope he can turn a new leaf and put in some big performances. Depending on how he plays our WC chances have significantly improved.

I wonder who should bat at 3 and 4 between Ervine and Ballance? Or maybe Ervine will open?

Any news on Melton? He will probably have to go the Curran route and put a shift in.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I also got a feeling the plan might genuinely be to play for 2 years then go back to play County. We have to convince him this is the right place for him

Googly

Post by Googly »

I think his wife will play a part in that decision. If he's got kids that will also play a big part. You need to bring your kids up in Zim, it's great.