Gary ballance bombshell switch

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Gary ballance bombshell switch

Post by Googly »

Train Driver wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:26 am
Googly wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:51 am

It's how it works here, what they really want to hear is All Hail ZC for being so smart as to choose Dave, but alas they can't undo 25 years of gross mismanagement and pilfering.

ALL HAIL DAVE!! ALL HAIL DAVE!! ALL HAIL DAVE!!
You were doing OK until this point, now the Leaders are after you :shock:
:lol: I thought I covered myself by cussing Chamisa?
All Hail Dave!

andrewn9

Post by andrewn9 »

Xlife wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:36 am
Did someone say he was not a good T20 player? He apparently just smashed 95 runs off 25 balls in a game against Northumberland.

He's the type of player that could make a significant difference to the team, ala Goodwin and Johnson in the late 90s
It's a great effort but bear in mind Northumberland is a minor county, not a first class side.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

So how does our side look with Ballance in the team?

Not to mention, the bowling dilemma we now have. All of a sudden guys have put their hand up.

I think pitch style personally will need to factor into selection decisions. On a fast pitch we have enough spin part timers to compensate for Wellington for instance.
I cant split evans and Ngarava.

That said, all things neutral, ill take a stab. White players are bolded as some people like to monitor the consequences of that.. including ZC,

1. Ballance
2. Regis (w)
3. Wes
4. Willo
5. Raza
6. Burl
7. Ervine
8. Wellington
9. Jongwe
10. Evans
11. Blessing
-
12 Ngarava
13 Shumba
14 Marumani
15 Nyauchi

Have I missed anyone?

I dont think we can persist with chatara even when fit unless injuries. Too old, slow and not a bat.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

https://www.herald.co.zw/zc-confirm-gary-talks/

Makoni admits there are talks. I had doubts but I'm starting to believe now. It might just happen. Not sure about Byrom. Melton I believe will give it a go at some point.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

If they get Ballance, Welch and Melton then keep Raza, Ervine and Williams for maybe 2 more years we can actually be decent. First step would be to get the confidence up, second step we need an identity. I'm in favour of going the SA route and playing on pace friendly wickets. That's who we should be.

Xlife
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Xlife »

andrewn9 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:05 pm
Xlife wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:36 am
Did someone say he was not a good T20 player? He apparently just smashed 95 runs off 25 balls in a game against Northumberland.

He's the type of player that could make a significant difference to the team, ala Goodwin and Johnson in the late 90s
It's a great effort but bear in mind Northumberland is a minor county, not a first class side.
Minor county sides are still better than Zim first class teams... and besides it also shows his T20 intent and ability. Not many batsmen can score at a rate of almost 400%, even against poor opposition

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Get him in the team!
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Well knock me down and call me Susan. It is happening, 100%

:o

Donald

Post by Donald »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:58 am
Well knock me down and call me Susan. It is happening, 100%

:o

When though is question. In time for australia? 😀

Googly

Post by Googly »

Interesting times ahead. We'll have a world class batsman in the side. If he's there in time for Australia don't forget it was their seamers that undid him. Either he'll be in a hurry because hes got some unfinished business there or he'll be happy to dodge that tour :lol:, but if youre a player of his caliber thats the ultimate test isnt it?
He hasnt played for a long time. I watched him the other day and he looked really scratchy and rusty, but that will change in a heart beat. I can't remember exactly but his technique was found wanting. I'll YouTube and Google now, but I think he had a back and across trigger and some technical flaw that was not holding up to the scrutiny of 150. In fairness nobody on the planet is comfortable with that pace, its just downright ugly and dangerous. I'd bet he's fixed it, but it's what ultimately ended his England career. I recall he also had a couple of really unlucky dismissals which compounded his woes.
In my view he should have been kept on, he's got the most beautiful hands, such good touch.

It would have been doubly interesting if Taylor was still around. I don't think they'd have been talking to Ballance if Taylor was still in the mix, but if they had that would have really changed the complexion of our batting line up.