Gary ballance bombshell switch

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Gary ballance bombshell switch

Post by zimfan1 »

https://www.cricketeurope.com/DATABASE/ ... .shtml?768

Am I reading too much into this article but is there a chance that PJ may make himself available for Zimbabwe again?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

zimfan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:55 pm
https://www.cricketeurope.com/DATABASE/ ... .shtml?768

Am I reading too much into this article but is there a chance that PJ may make himself available for Zimbabwe again?
There has been talk here all season that he's wanting to come back into the fold. I think he was disappointed not to get into their world cup squad.

The problem he might have is that so many bridges have been burned and that several in power (incl. Masakadza) have a particular dislike for him. The upside for him however is that Houghton seems to have free reign.

He's been consistently good for Mountaineers so far this year without doing anything spectacular. Our batting suddenly looks pretty strong so tbh the only way he is getting back near a Zim team is as wicketkeeper. And unfortunately that side of his game seems to have regressed.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I’ve always said that in Zimbabwe burnt bridges can be mended, if Mark ‘Rex’ Vermeulan can burn down the academy and still play for Zimbabwe again I’m sure Moor can too.

I don’t see an immediate spot for PJ in the side, unless he dedicated himself to either keeping or opening. But when some of the old firm or Ervine, Williams & Raza retire that’s where I’ve always thought he’d add value.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:03 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:40 pm
Who's the better batsman overall, Ballance or Taylor?
This could be a thread on itself
Brendan Taylor hands down. The kind of impact Taylor has had at international level for Zim is massively underrated. He is one of Zimbabwe's best ever.

Ballance on the other hand has a lot to prove at international level. Yes, he has played for England and has played some good test knocks but that is just about it.

Taylor has played top knocks across formats, across continents and the highest of levels in the World Cups.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

It will be a lot of work for PJ to get a contract again. I think it will depend on how Madande and I guess Marumani perform with the bat and gloves. If they fail then I think he will slot back in. Hami is not the kind of guy who will hold a grudge forever if a proper apology is issued and Houghton seems to have a huge say on who plays.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Confusing why he hasn't made the Ireland side? Just as a pure batsman he's way better than Delaney.

Ya Vermeulen burning down the academy should have made him a pariah. That CFX academy was probably perceived as a white initiative and there's no real crime in dismantling that. That attitude is still prevalent throughout Zim and SA actually. Less so, but its there.

I'm not sure what PJ has to apologise for. I'm sure he and Masakadza had strong differences of opinion about something, but doubtful that PJ crossed any lines, he's not that kind of guy. He's a straight up decent bloke.

How's Australia declaring and leaving Khawaja not out on 195? That is just fucking rude. Team first bullshit like they cant spare two overs against a shattered SA batting line up.

With the inclusion of Ballance and with Evans now putting his hand up this Zim side is suddenly not so easy to get into. Obviously still a gap for an opener and a keeper/batsman though.
PJ is currently a better keeper/batsman than Madande. That may change as Madande develops, but I doubt.
I still think Marumani should persevere with his keeping. This perception that he's not a good keeper is wrong. Sure it needs work, but he's talented.

Googly

Post by Googly »

And that he's that big a talent that he should just focus on his batting I think is wrong. Very few people can afford the luxury of not having another string to their bow.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I don't really see a spot for PJ, unless he puts his hand up for opening for which he don't think he has the quality to do effectively. Moor occasionally get runs but for me he basically looks like a bowler who can bat decently, except of course he isn't a bowler.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:41 am
And that he's that big a talent that he should just focus on his batting I think is wrong. Very few people can afford the luxury of not having another string to their bow.
I haven't seen huge amounts of Marumani keeping but the handful of times I've seen him on a stream he looks uncomfortable with the gloves and very much looks like a part-timer. It seems to be a stretch to think he will be able to develop that side of his game enough to be a really top quality international wicketkeeper.

On the other hand, I think he is a generational talent with the bat. I'm not exaggerating. I've rated him highly since he first arrived at Falcon and I think he has shown enough over the past twelve months at franchise and club level for us to really believe in the kid.

So the question is, whilst it's nice and certainly useful to have a second string to his bow - is the amount of time he is going to spend training and working on his wicketkeeping, going to detract from his potential with the bat?

I'm pretty sure he will take the gloves in these T20s next week anyway, so we'll see how he goes behind the stumps.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I think he's got plenty of potential, seen him make a couple of good leg side stumpings and a couple of athletic catches. He's bloody untidy collecting balls between deliveries- casual one handed catches that don't look good.