Gary ballance bombshell switch

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

Re: Gary ballance bombshell switch

Post by zimbos_05 »

I've noticed that the general populous don't care less who is wearing the shirt. They just want to see Zim win. I noticed this too after the Rugby side lost to Namibia when that one MP wrote on twitter about it being a race thing. Everyone was responding saying how dumb it was for him to make it about race and to stop.

There will always be people who play the race card and ZANU will always keep it in their back pocket, but I get the feeling the general populous have had enough of it. They just want to see Zim win.

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

Get Ballance right now to zimbabwe team i want to see we winning the qualifier ;)

Googly

Post by Googly »

We need to put a watch at the airport to let us know when Ballance touches down.
All Hail Gary ! :lol:

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Googly wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:56 am
We need to put a watch at the airport to let us know when Ballance touches down.
All Hail Gary ! :lol:
Better get the Rhodesian flag out of storage. I wonder if anyone much in Zimbabwe would even recognize it these days?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMFAN

Post by ZIMFAN »

Does anyone have any updates on this? GB or any of the others...

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

There will always be two sides to this argument. While personally I do agree that the likes of Gary Ballance and other UK based players will add immense value to the team, bringing them back will also be a huge disrespect towards the players who choose to stick around with Zimbabwe cricket in the tough times and have given it their all. For them to lose position to UK based players will be unfair. Very unfair.

ZC will have to find the right balance. The situation with BT abd Jarvis was very different, both, Taylor in particular, had greatly served ZC before leaving. Here we are talking about players who never cared to represent Zimbabwe, taking them back, just like that, will not go down well with existing players, irrespective of their colour.

A better, long term option, would be to make the current group of youngsters stick around. The younger Welch, Bennet brothers, Bawa, Falao etc. Ensure that they make the long term future.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:02 pm
There will always be two sides to this argument. While personally I do agree that the likes of Gary Ballance and other UK based players will add immense value to the team, bringing them back will also be a huge disrespect towards the players who choose to stick around with Zimbabwe cricket in the tough times and have given it their all. For them to lose position to UK based players will be unfair. Very unfair.

ZC will have to find the right balance. The situation with BT abd Jarvis was very different, both, Taylor in particular, had greatly served ZC before leaving. Here we are talking about players who never cared to represent Zimbabwe, taking them back, just like that, will not go down well with existing players, irrespective of their colour.

A better, long term option, would be to make the current group of youngsters stick around. The younger Welch, Bennet brothers, Bawa, Falao etc. Ensure that they make the long term future.
I dont disagree with your vibe, but I will say alot of the fringe guys who have hung around have only done so because they arent good enough elsewhere.

Its where you have to respect BT in his twenties.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:02 pm

Can we honestly say that many of those who stuck around did so out of loyalty or purely because they had no other option?

I agree with the sentiment, but some of these players would not have seen the A side let alone the national team had players stuck around. It's hard to blame people for wanting to leave Zim because the life there is not exactly worth sticking around for for many.

Terryalderman

Post by Terryalderman »

It’s not kids sport, I’d be picking this best available. Whilst Loyalty is good, as long as the new players aren’t flogs and are willing to get involved in improving the future I can’t see a problem. The more success the more sponsorship and tv deals the more money to go round. Or maybe the more money for admin🫣. Hopefully it will lead to more sticking round and not having to go to other countries!

Crastle_cog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Crastle_cog »

With Gary and hopefully a few other UK based lads in we can surely strengthen our batting department but we still lack a very good out and out spinner who will be immensely needed in sub continental conditions if we qualify for the ODI WC.....Any new upcoming young spin bowlers coming up who are showing potential?