Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh 1st ODI /2022 August 5

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

Re: Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh 1st ODI /2022 August 5

Post by zimbos_05 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:23 am

There's 'many' who bat at 7, and keep wicket, who average above 40? Nope, there's only a very small handful.... Matt Prior the only one I can think of in the past several decades.

I admire your high standards and expectations but it's unrealistic, I'd say ridiculous, to expect anyone who has grown up in our system, plays in our Logan Cup, has played through all the chaos of ZC etc to get anywhere near that average, let alone batting at 7 and taking the gloves.

Only Williams has an average in that region and he doesn't keep wicket, he bats up the order, and he's one of the most naturally talented players on Earth.

Anyway this doesn't matter as we haven't played a Test in 13 months and won't play one for another six months! In white ball he's terribly out of form, but he's better than any alternative (which is very worrying.....). Let's hope he gets a dose of the Houghton magic soon.
You said bats at 7, you didn't say keep wicket as well. In saying that though, I'm not being overly critical, I'm making a statement and simple point. Also, just fyi, Adam Gilchrist and De Kock are in the 40's and there's a plethora of WK averaging high 38 and 39.

It's not about high standards and expectations, it's about basic standards. We want to play at an international level, so players need to be working at being on an international level. Simple. I get we've had issues with ZC and their shithousery, but many of the players have just accepted that, so don't really put it in any more work than they should, and it shows come game time.

All I'm saying is that it's a worry that our number wk is 34 and the stats don't back up him being a number 1. It's something management needs to actively work on.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:05 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:23 am

There's 'many' who bat at 7, and keep wicket, who average above 40? Nope, there's only a very small handful.... Matt Prior the only one I can think of in the past several decades.

I admire your high standards and expectations but it's unrealistic, I'd say ridiculous, to expect anyone who has grown up in our system, plays in our Logan Cup, has played through all the chaos of ZC etc to get anywhere near that average, let alone batting at 7 and taking the gloves.

Only Williams has an average in that region and he doesn't keep wicket, he bats up the order, and he's one of the most naturally talented players on Earth.

Anyway this doesn't matter as we haven't played a Test in 13 months and won't play one for another six months! In white ball he's terribly out of form, but he's better than any alternative (which is very worrying.....). Let's hope he gets a dose of the Houghton magic soon.
You said bats at 7, you didn't say keep wicket as well. In saying that though, I'm not being overly critical, I'm making a statement and simple point. Also, just fyi, Adam Gilchrist and De Kock are in the 40's and there's a plethora of WK averaging high 38 and 39.

It's not about high standards and expectations, it's about basic standards. We want to play at an international level, so players need to be working at being on an international level. Simple. I get we've had issues with ZC and their shithousery, but many of the players have just accepted that, so don't really put it in any more work than they should, and it shows come game time.

All I'm saying is that it's a worry that our number wk is 34 and the stats don't back up him being a number 1. It's something management needs to actively work on.
I agree, WKs for long now are proper batters. In fact many of them are top players for their countries. Zim need some WKB options desperately quickly.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:05 pm

Well I thought you know Regis is a WK right? :lol:

And in Tests he has batted at 7....the others don't. Unfair comparisons.
He's the hardest worker we have. It's well known.

The sad thing is he is more or less permanently injured and has played through lots of issues for the past five years. He had a really good 12 months but got injured in Sri Lank at the start of this year and that seems to have set him back significantly - hasn't been the same since.

Anyway I literally have agreed with you, several times, that his white ball form is rubbish and if we had anyone else he would have been dropped. But he's not a bad cricketer and I believe he will come good. I really believe.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Pretty bad timing for a guy to be having a go at Regis hey. Maybe he read the forum this morning.

Legend, I love him. Great captain too.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Yvmnaidu wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:23 pm
instead of muskunda. tsiga is best player
Rajput, that u?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Ba

Post by zimbos_05 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:14 am

And in Tests he has batted at 7....the others don't. Unfair comparisons.
Batting at 7

De Kock 36 Innings Avg 48.97
Gilchrist 100 innings Avg 46.45
Prior 82 innings Avg 40.99
McCullum 48 innings Avg 38.91
Haddin 92 innings Avg 38.10

Then you have Sarfraz Ahmed, Tim Paine, Bairstow, Moin Khan all with averages in the 30s. I left out Alan Knott because he was 80s
secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:11 pm
Pretty bad timing for a guy to be having a go at Regis hey. Maybe he read the forum this morning.

Legend, I love him. Great captain too.
I wasn't having a go, was just saying that I think it's a little worry he's performances of late. Yesterday he got moved down the order and delivered, so maybe he is better suited to that spot. Still, the point that our WK stocks are low is a valid one.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:11 pm
The last time zimbos_05 had a go at Reggie, he exploded in the Europe T20s if I remember correctly. So, keep it coming zimbos_05, it seems to help him :D

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:50 am

The last time zimbos_05 had a go at Reggie, he exploded in the Europe T20s if I remember correctly. So, keep it coming zimbos_05, it seems to help him :D
Send me a list, I'll create a "having a go thread"

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

:lol:

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:34 am
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:50 am

Send me a list, I'll create a "having a go thread"
I don't think even your thread can salvage Timycen Maruma's career, can it? :lol: :lol: :lol: