Zimbabwe vs bangladesh second one day international

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe vs bangladesh second one day international

Post by secretzimbo »

Reggie's century off 73 balls....is that the fastest by a Zim batter? I can't think of any that might have been quicker. BT vs Ireland was 79 balls I think?

We haven't actually ever had many centuries at a strike rate of over 100 at all. Maybe around half a dozen?

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Amazing. So sorry I missed this game.

Raza take a bow! Regis, he's got a launch capability these days.

Two series wins against BD after the tourney win.

Nice to be able to look forward to the chance of a win again. :D

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

What a win! I could not follow much again. but looks like a clinical win after going 4 down. Raza and Regis, take a bow!

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:17 pm
Reggie's century off 73 balls....is that the fastest by a Zim batter? I can't think of any that might have been quicker. BT vs Ireland was 79 balls I think?
From the Cricinfo report in the first match:
81 Balls needed for Raza to complete his century, the third fastest for Zimbabwe in ODI cricket. The fastest hundred is by Sean Williams off 77 balls against the UAE in 2019, while Brendan Taylor scored a 79-ball century against Ireland in the 2015 World Cup.
So, Regis's century yesterday is indeed the fastest by a Zimbabwean in an ODI!

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:56 pm
Jeez Raza is in some form with the bat. Has any other Zimbabwean in the post 04 era been on such a run as he has.

It's so nice to see Zim winnings games, particularly when we are getting ourselves into bad situations. If we can fix some of the up front problems, we can be much stronger against certain teams, Bangladesh being one of them.

So far it's all been good under Dave, so hopefully its continuous improvement. Some little worrying signs around certain players, so hopefully we can find the solution to tick them into form.
BT averaged 300+ for a series vs NZ several years back. Raza has 250 odd runs, for no dismissal right now. So getting out for 50 or so in the final game will mean he matches BT purely on numbers. But Raza s contribution has been more impactful and more surprising than BT's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

So many people in my Gym talking about Zimbabwe and Sikandar Raza, so many of my colleagues are talking about this series and how good it is to see Zimbabwe back as a competitive cricketing nation.

That's what guys, with results people take notice. The world which is full of casual fans take notice, because very few people follow cricket outside of their nation's schedule esp Zim, Ire, Afg,associates no one really follows unless they beat some big guns or play at world cups. Some of my friends we're asking me why Zimbabwe was not there at last WC, some were asking have they qualified for next year WC? (😆 lot of them don't even know about WSL or WCQ) but they know I watch a lot of cricket so they ask me.

I can say that the events in the last 1 month have definitely put Zimbabwe cricket back on the cricketing map and honestly everyone even here in India has a soft corner for Zim, they are happy to see good old Zimbabwe back!

Donald

Post by Donald »

And at last miilton Shumba has a bit of competition with Tony Muyonga teeing off yesterday afternoon.
If he performs well in front of the indians there is a 20 20 contract or BPL contract in the making right there. Could open up some fantastic doors. Same with Jongwe and Marumani

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:30 am
So many people in my Gym talking about Zimbabwe and Sikandar Raza, so many of my colleagues are talking about this series and how good it is to see Zimbabwe back as a competitive cricketing nation.

That's what guys, with results people take notice. The world which is full of casual fans take notice, because very few people follow cricket outside of their nation's schedule esp Zim, Ire, Afg,associates no one really follows unless they beat some big guns or play at world cups. Some of my friends we're asking me why Zimbabwe was not there at last WC, some were asking have they qualified for next year WC? (😆 lot of them don't even know about WSL or WCQ) but they know I watch a lot of cricket so they ask me.

I can say that the events in the last 1 month have definitely put Zimbabwe cricket back on the cricketing map and honestly everyone even here in India has a soft corner for Zim, they are happy to see good old Zimbabwe back!
Thanks for sharing man. Love to hear this.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

What impressed me was, in the first ODI, when Kaia played the anchoring role, Raza played the calculated explosive cricket to keep the asking rate at check. And in the second ODI, when Regis took over Raza's role, Raza went back to the anchoring role to see us home. Brilliant partnerships, both of them.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

I think we needed those "easy games" in the qualifiers just to serve as a reminder of what winning feels like. That momentum took us to that t20 series win, which took us to the ODIs again. Hopefully we go well vs India and Aus.

We must not be complacent though. Our top order is still struggling and we are finding ourselves 4 down too early, then having to rely on Raza and a willing partner to rescue us. This will not work vs clinical opposition hey. I still think we need the steady head of Ervine opening in ODIs to try and see us through the first 10 overs at 50-0 or at worst 50-1. Zulu has a lot of work to do with our top 3. The bowling has been decent, but as we all have noted, we struggle with closing overs well, too many last balls go for 4, releasing all the pressure from the first 5. Each bowler should have 2 or 3 specific 6th ball that they bowl that is unplayable.

Also, do we rest Raza, or do we let him play on. Remember it is a long season and he has pretty much played every single game since Namibia. Worried about his fitness going forward. It also looks like we have a decent squad taking shape. 5 changes and we still managed to win the game, top stuff.

Very refreshing that there is now some competition for places and everyone knows the team can still win without them. The likes of Wes and Shumba know they need to step up to be counted. Wes has the talent but what he lacks is the temperament to construct a big innings. He got out yesterday trying to sweep the wrong length instead of playing it down in the V for a single. There is work there. Shumba has been unlucky. That boy is a number 3 or 4, and he is the type that is smart enough to build long innings and not hastily give it away.

Lastly, with everyone available, this is my current best.

Kaitano
Ervine
Kaia
Williams
Raza
Chakabva
Burl
Jongwe
Evans/Nyauchi/Chatara (In T20s we bring in Wellington)
Muzarabani
Ngarava