Zimbabwe vs India 2022 First One day International

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Zimbabwe vs India 2022 First One day International

Post by Googly »

The hype around Madhevere has to be wearing a bit thin.
Even Mawoyo was saying how he was world renowned. Commentators actually have a lot of influence on players' careers .
The one thing I will say about Wes is that he appears to have a good attitude towards cricket. He always seems unphased when he gets a jaffer, which is not an easy mind set when you're young and under pressure. Maybe he doesn't think he's under pressure? Maybe he isn't under pressure?

We almost need Masvaure to open and try and last 15 overs against the new white ball.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Oh Kaia was asked his prediction for the series and it was 2-1 Zim. When you're the massive underdog you have to have enough self awareness to dodge that one, surely?
Just go out there and bat for your life, in 5 ball spells and don't worry about series predictions, just be the best you can be. One good hundred against a sub par Bangladesh side is nice, but keep quiet until you've got 5 under your belt and at least one against a top side.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Googly wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:42 pm
It's clear that we need guys who can bowl 135 plus.
We can't have seamers bowling 130. Might work on a spicy deck, but on a flattie against good batters it's ugly.

I see Kaia is giving interviews stating he wants to be the leading run scorer in the series and wants an IPL contract.
That's KP ego without the goods to back it up, he needs to calm down and not make statements like that, cricket bites harder than any sport ever invented.
Maybe he'll have a rethink after his struggle today. He's up against some good bowlers that don't give you much, least of all an IPL contract in a different format :lol:

I think Burl needs to bat at 3/4 with clear instructions to try and bat long, he's got a decent enuf technique to hang in there. He always has to come in when we're in shit.

Chakabva batted OK today. Always looks the part up until the point he gives his wicket away.

If we bat first again we just have to get to 15 overs with one down max. If someone could find a coin with two heads on it and we get to call that would also be a blessing.
Cant say much about the bowlers when they had nothing to defend. Dhawan was scoring under 70 ffs. Only thing I would criticize were the extras. Most of the fault was with the batters.

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

Average swing - pacers(in powerplay)
ZIMBABWE - 0.9°
INDIA - 2.3°
Last edited by Marshmallow on Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I couldn't catch live action, but as feared there is a big gap between the two sides and it showed.

It's OK, such games can happen, It's very important for Zimbabwe to learn and keep improving, this Indian side is damn good, unbelievable depth as I said earlier and it's not going to be easy by any means.

Zimbabwe just needs to keep pushing and keep improving. I don't see any reason why they can't be competitive in the remaining two games. Got to keep believing.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Marshmallow wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:25 pm
Average swing - pacers
ZIMBABWE - 0.9°
INDIA - 2.3°
Where did you find that stat?
That's unbelievable. I'd really like to see that again if we bowl first.

Ya I believe we will do better next game. Once again it's all in the toss, but I think it's possible guys were a bit overawed by the opposition. They're good, but they're human, and maybe it takes a game to work that out.
It's a game of millimeters at this level. Everyone just needs to be the best they can be and the gap will be much smaller.
Dhawan and Gill are sadly looking in good touch :lol: , they didn't have to get out of first gear though. With their abilities it's a cake walk to nudge it around.

Back to Evans- told you guys he could bat! Invents ways of getting out, but if he bats sensibly he really has ability. He's particularly adept at spin, got really good hands, but plays too many big shots because he feels he can dominate. Probably can, but it's baby steps, you have to earn the right.
His 130kph surprised me. I really thought he'd be around 135. He got nothing out of that ball or pitch today. He's got a really nice action, but the pace isn't there.
When he finishes his delivery he's surprisingly upright and doesn't take his eyes off the batsman. You don't find many seamers that are balanced and upright post delivery, kind of indicates he can bowl quicker.
The most extreme seamer post delivery is George Bartlett, an action photo of that bloke and you fail to understand how he actually lands on his feet.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:27 pm

Zimbabwe just needs to keep pushing and keep improving. I don't see any reason why they can't be competitive in the remaining two games. Got to keep believing.
I was initially dumbfounded with the result of the BD series...in real time it looked like Zimbabwe had turned the page (and in some ways they did). Which is why I was saying this series vs India A and Australia would be the real litmus test in the sense that it would show the sustainability of the Houghton Zimbabwe (vs Mangongo, Whatmore, Streak, and Rajput). In real time, things looked very good. How could they not? 300 plus chased in back to back games, incredible fightbacks, etc. Then I realized it was basically the Raza + 1 other guy show. Lightening struck twice in the Bangladesh series (I'm ignoring the T20s), but it won't keep striking against even against low level opposition like Scotland or Netherlands, never mind India or Australia.

One single stat line says it all:

Raza runs in 2 games vs Bangladesh = 252
Runs scored by Wes + Marumani + Kaia + Chakabva + Kaitano + Jongwe in the last 4 games = 368

So 6 guys, in 4 matches totalled 368 runs, and Raza alone scored 252 in two games. That is not a sustainable model of cricket against India, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, or even Scotland or the USA.

So unless Houghton can get the other guys (non Big 4 of Williams, Ervine, Raza, Chakabva) to score runs consistently...the results will start to resemble Rajput's in no time. Such is the brutal world of top flight cricket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

True story. Dislike agreeing with you on anything, but you're bang on.

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

Googly wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:52 pm
Marshmallow wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:25 pm
Average swing - pacers
ZIMBABWE - 0.9°
INDIA - 2.3°
Where did you find that stat?

Mentioned swing is about Poweplay overs and the stats got it from Twitter.