Damien Martyns 144* vs Zim

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Damien Martyns 144* vs Zim

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Cricket Australia are starting to put out a few nostalgic video footage of old historic clashes with Zimbabwe in the lead up to the series this week.

Heres some highlights of Damo and the Zim team in action, might be good viewing to some.

I miss Murphys bowling action.

Also worth noting that Zimbabwe team looked very fit healthwise. Fast across the ground. No fat slobs like today.

https://www.cricket.com.au/video/damien ... uS59zkcpO8
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sam_ahm

Re: Damien Martyns 144* vs Zim

Post by sam_ahm »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:15 am
Cricket Australia are starting to put out a few nostalgic video footage of old historic clashes with Zimbabwe in the lead up to the series this week.

Heres some highlights of Damo and the Zim team in action, might be good viewing to some.

Also worth noting that Zimbabwe team looked very fit healthwise. Fast across the ground. No fat slobs like today.

This match for whatever reasons was one of my all time favorite, and I rate this run chase by Zimbabwe as their best ever, although they lost by a run.

Good old days, I was still in my 12th standard, a school going student, I remember my dad was following this match too and we both so badly wanted Zim to win against the all conquering Aussies, later my cousins joined in too... And what a heartbreak it was to see Zimbabwe lose by a run.

Who can forget that last over when Marillier was hitting Glenn McGrath over the keepers head, something which was so uncommon at the time!!! That was epic!

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sam_ahm wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:22 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:15 am

This match for whatever reasons was one of my all time favorite, and I rate this run chase by Zimbabwe as their best ever, although they lost by a run.

Good old days, I was still in my 12th standard, a school going student, I remember my dad was following this match too and we both so badly wanted Zim to win against the all conquering Aussies, later my cousins joined in too... And what a heartbreak it was to see Zimbabwe lose by a run.

Who can forget that last over when Marillier was hitting Glenn McGrath over the keepers head, something which was so uncommon at the time!!! That was epic!
It never occurred to me that this was the same game. Yes, it was one of the all time greats. I remember the atmosphere well and the great tv production. Aussie tv re played that game during rain outs alot.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Also I remember how much of a passenger Muleki Nkala was that series. Never got the ball past 125km/hr, more hovering around 120. Got belted harder hard than the Donbas.

ZCU did him quota dirty there. Rushed his development too early. He was only young.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:42 am
Also I remember how much of a passenger Muleki Nkala was that series. Never got the ball past 125km/hr, more hovering around 120. Got belted harder hard than the Donbas.

ZCU did him quota dirty there. Rushed his development too early. He was only young.
Haha, yeah, I looked at that bowling line up and think today it is probably better barring Heath Streak of course.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sam_ahm wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:23 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:42 am

Haha, yeah, I looked at that bowling line up and think today it is probably better barring Heath Streak of course.
Yeah, people forget how bad our attack has always been bar Streak.

Blessing, Ngarava are as good as we have ever had.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Paul Strang was the other good bowler of yesteryear.

Damien Martyn was one of my favourite players when I was young. I remember him gritting out a century in Kandy in dififcult humid conditions when almost everyone else failed. I think he hit one boundary in the entire innings.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

Was picked in 1993 and was touted as the next big thing, holed out with a lofted drive against West Indies and the selectors blamed him for the loss and didn't get selected again until 2000.
Unbelievably talented batter.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

He was often overshadowed simply because Hayden, Langer, and Ponting batted ahead of him. If Martyn had played for anyone else he would have been a superstar.

A number of guys were even less fortunate than Martyn, Brad Hodge and Martin Love for example. Love played five tests, averaged 46, yet could never get an extended run.
Last edited by eugene on Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Man our bowling really was poor during the early 2000's. When Brandes and Johnson retired, and Olonga fell away with form, we really did only have Heath Streak as a world class seam option.

Until Blignaut, Friend and Ervine a few years later, we were relying on Mbangwa, Nkala, Mutendera and Brent with the ball. Zero pace