AUSTRALIA VS ZIMBABWE / 2nd ODI/ 31 August 2022

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: AUSTRALIA VS ZIMBABWE / 2nd ODI/ 31 August 2022

Post by TapsC2 »

You could also tell from the commentary and some of the set ups that they 100% got video on every single one of our players and have a plan for all of them. Very very professional and clinical unit. Watch them set Williams up rough on Saturday. It definitely didn't feel like that against India

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:59 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:33 am
Other than his two wickets, unsure Ngarava offered much to the attack. Evans looked far more dangerous and was unlucky not to get a wicket or two.

I think our batting will always be an issue as long as our players have decided that they are more about preserving their wicket, rather than playing their game. You can see they get angsty about not scoring, so they either cower or they try to play big shots.

They really need to work on their tactical aspects. Feet movement, standing straight, playing with a straight bat. Break them down to basics.

Considering he has played 24 ODIs, Wessley should really have at least 1 century to his name. I don't want him or Marumani to fall into the bracket of being players who had talent, but didn't do anything with it.
Thats some real high expectations. Even root took 25 odis to make his first century
Root wouso have had 6 centuries if he spent all his time against afg, ban, Ireland, Scotland etc
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:24 am
slcricfan1 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:59 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:33 am
Other than his two wickets, unsure Ngarava offered much to the attack. Evans looked far more dangerous and was unlucky not to get a wicket or two.

I think our batting will always be an issue as long as our players have decided that they are more about preserving their wicket, rather than playing their game. You can see they get angsty about not scoring, so they either cower or they try to play big shots.

They really need to work on their tactical aspects. Feet movement, standing straight, playing with a straight bat. Break them down to basics.

Considering he has played 24 ODIs, Wessley should really have at least 1 century to his name. I don't want him or Marumani to fall into the bracket of being players who had talent, but didn't do anything with it.
Thats some real high expectations. Even root took 25 odis to make his first century
Root wouso have had 6 centuries if he spent all his time against afg, ban, Ireland, Scotland etc
Thats fair. But heaps of caveats to that which Sz has not even begun to talk about. ANd anyway this is Joe root, probably the best batter in the world atm barring Babar maybe. Point is, will take a while and a lot of experience for Wes to make centuries in the current climate unfortunately. If he can somehow beat the odds, kudos to him though. But many talented players have been unable to do that. Not many great young batters in world cricket outside of the big 3.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

It highlights the need to up our match numbers against the big boys.

Who cares if we win a series against Ireland.

The boys also need the world stage to put their foot forward for IPL gigs and what not.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:34 am
This. It's so tough to step up to this level suddenly. If we don't play India or Australia regular in the coming years, then we'll be in exactly the same situation on the very rare occasion we do next play them in the year 2133.

If we played this quality of opposition every year I'm sure we'd see some sustained improvement over time.

I'm not excusing todays performance because it was beyond rubbish and not good enough. We should be at the level of the 3rd Indian game and the 1st Australia game already. But we aren't going to be consistently doing that or even winning games if we only play a top quality team once every five years.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Those two shots down the ground from Regis were lovely. It continues to mystify me how this guy doesn't average 35+. Good technique, plenty of experience, works as hard as anyone by all accounts, is a smart educated guy, always looks good when he is out there.....until he randomly gets out.

How he hasn't scored more runs through his career is the biggest mystery of all.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:06 am

You can't have it both ways though. If you are discounting Bangladesh, Ireland and Afghanistan.... then Wes has only played 9 ODIs. You can't count them for one player and not the other.

Also theres another point there. Our guys just aren't used to facing this quality. It's pretty tough ask to come from facing club-level attacks in Zim and occasionally facing Bangladesh and Ireland, to then suddenly be playing India and Australia 6 times in 2 weeks. The step up is massive, seems pretty unrealistic to expect that step up to just happen - for any players anywhere in the world. It's like your post earlier in the thread saying our guys probably just come out and ignore the coaches and do whatever they want. I get the sentiment and understand your frustration and I've probably posted lots of similar things in match threads tbf. But obviously they do listen to coaches and they do try. Most if not all of this current squad are pretty switched on and seem like decent people that are playing for Dave and doing their best. There is a massive gulf in quality between us/ireland etc and teams like Australia in their home conditions. It's bloody tough.

It doesn't excuse today though.

I'd expect results like the first game, where one or two show signs with the bat and we take a handful of wickets and at least be half-competitive for some of the game. Today wasn't good enough, but it happens. I'm sure they'll learn and will come out better in the third game.
I'm not discounting them, I'm merely stating that Wes has faced somewhat easier opposition than Joe did, hence that Wes has had perhaps an easier start to his ODI career than Joe did.

Yes there are the Rashid Khans and the like, but Wes has had quite a bit of time to develop his trade in this time, yet we are seeing simple errors still in his game. Yes the step up in opposition is noticeable, but that does not mean that you should still be doing the same things that you were doing in game 1. A player should be maturing and developing their game through their games.

It's not only Wes, and I'm not picking on him. All of our players should not be making the same mistakes over and over, particularly those who have been around for a while, regardless of the opposition. I can understand being beaten fair by a Starc and the like, but throwing away ones wicket is a different story.
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:34 am

Who cares if we win a series against Ireland.

The boys also need the world stage to put their foot forward for IPL gigs and what not.
It's all well and good saying this, but as the calendar becomes more saturated, big teams are only going to want to play big teams, especially if when they do play the small teams, the matches are not nearly competitive enough. Big teams will either just end up playing 2nd string squads.

It's a catch 22 because playing the big teams helps improve the standard but also not currently competitive enough to play the big teams. ICC screwed up on this big time, and ZANU screwed up Zim

Googly

Post by Googly »

He's in the same boat as a lot of decent looking Zim batsmen- Vusi and Hamilton being the most recent and obvious examples. They look great, have decent techniques, get starts, and suddenly they're inexplicably trudging back to the hut.
Theyre not alone, the batting world is awash with talented guys that can't kick on, that's why guys tape bats to the walls of change rooms and have lucky hyena foot charms hanging round their necks because nobody really understands why they would suddenly play a shit shot out of nowhere and guys like Root and Babar don't seem to.

Donald

Post by Donald »

We are missing ervine and muzarabani badly.

Think evans fluffed his lines a little with new ball. When muzarabani is back he will share mantle with ngarava. Evans goes back to first change.

Ervine is pretty good at seeing off new ball. His 30s against afghanistan was testament to this when the ball was swinging wildly and predegiously.

People have mentioned shumba as missing in action and sure he is a good young upcoming player but he doesnt really strengthen the side apart from having more options.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Today's game just made me think that if this is what we are going to get from Zimbabwe 7/10 times against top boys then what exactly is the point of playing the 50 over WC? I'm sure Afghanistan will do better.

On the other hand WI, SL, Ban will at least be able to compete and cause some upsets.

ICC sucks, but then these kind of results justify a 10 team WC. No one wants to see such a pathetic contest in a world event. Not this modern generation.

We can talk all day about lack of fixtures, lack of fixtures against top teams etc. But the harsh truth is that no one is going to give you the fixtures just for charity. No one. It is pure business.

The only way you get fixtures is by performing. At least be competitive. Like it or not but Afghanistan and Ireland have pretty much the same kind of fixtures but they often punch above their weight when ever they play the big boys. That's one reason why Ireland these days are respected more than Zimbabwe in cricketing circle.

Sorry guys, I don't want to sound harsh, but this was terribly disappointing for me. If you are telling me that the likes of Munyonga are international cricketers, then I'm sorry but they are not. These players if they are turning up for the national team then they should at least be up for it. This was embarrassing like the first two ODIs against India.