Zimbabwe v Sri Lanka - ODI Series

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Zimbabwe v Sri Lanka - ODI Series

Post by Train Driver »

Well, it's almost upon us.

I can't say that i am particularly optimistic about the outcome of the series, but stranger things have happened on the cricket field. Whatever the final result, i just hope that the players can gain some more experience and learn from watching what is a very good Sri Lankan side.

Given the most recent speculation it would seem that Tatenda Taibu will not be available, so out goes the wicket keeper and one of the most experienced batsmen, Ray Price simply must be selected and hopefully the much hoped for return of Vusi Sibanda will give the side some run scoring ability at the top of the order, we would be wrong though to expect him to come back blazing runs after such a long lay off.

Allowing for the speculation, my side would be

Vusi Sibanda
Hamilton Masakadza
Chamu Chibhabha
Regis Chakabva
Stuart Matsikenyeri
Elton Chigumbura
Keith Dabengwa
Prosper Utseya
Tawanda Mupariwa
Ray Price
Christopher Mpofu

I really don't want Dabengwa in the side as he simply hasn't done anything to deserve constant selection, but who else is there ?

If Taibu was available then i would drop Dabengwa for him and retain Chakabva as a batsman, i would have Chakabva as high as possible in the order to give him a chance of building an innings, he seems to have talent so give him a chance to prove it. With Mpofu, Mupariwa, Chigumbura, Price and Utseya you have 5 front line bowlers with Chibhabha, Matsikenyeri and Masakadza to fall back on, so no need for Dabengwa there either if Taibu plays.

My choices for back-ups would be Friday Kasteni, Bonaparte Mujuru and Tino Mawoyo with the bat and Graeme Cremer, Ed Rainsford and Blessing Mahwire with the ball.

Let's hope that Harare on thursday will see the side fight with as much pride as possible, regardless of the chaos going on around them.

Train Driver

Re: Zimbabwe v Sri Lanka - ODI Series

Post by Train Driver »

I've just realised that i am a total idiot :oops:

Why have Keith Dabengwa in the side at all when Graeme Cremer or even Timycen Maruma could take his place ?

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Train Driver wrote:I've just realised that i am a total idiot :oops:

Why have Keith Dabengwa in the side at all when Graeme Cremer or even Timycen Maruma could take his place ?
On current selection policies, Timycen Maruma is classed as a batsman. It could well be that Maruma plays in the middle order while Sibanda returns to his opening position.

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Nice to see edward rainsford back from injury and also taking 3-29 against sri lanka. He has put himself in the frame for a re-call no doubt. Also nice to see malcolm waller playing and taking a few wickets. I though he was primarily a batsman

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Forgot to mention that admire manumwa took a few wickets and also Kamungozi though wicketless had a very economical spell of 10 overs for 38 runs. Kamungozi is definetly one for the future

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/zimvsl20 ... 75455.html

good performance nice to see that malcom waller is still around

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

Well done to the players, a very good display against a very good batting side, if they could have got one of Mubarak or Tharanga out cheaply there would have been a chance of a shock win.

Delighted to see Ed Rainsford back and in the wickets, also Admire Manyumwa and Malcolm Waller, i certainly didn't expect to see a surprise selection like Waller.

It's always nice to see younger players get selected, but i would have thought that there are a number of more senior players who could have done with some time on the pitch rather than Chimbambo and Zhuwawo, for example.

Let's hope that the seniors take heart from this game, Sri Lanka can be bowled out relatively cheaply, fingers crossed it happens again on thursday.

zimdan

Post by zimdan »

There is some real hype here in Zimbabwe about this series and it really brings a smile to alot of faces. To have some of the top players of the game in the country is a big deal for alot of Zimbabweans.

However politics have again ruined the game here and selections. The race card is being played over and over again, with only a handful of hardened white players left now, and ive got nothing against black cricketers, they just are not as good technically, but that doesnt matter over here. If your black, your at the front of the queue in terms of the game of cricket. Its almost like your punished for introdicing the "upmarket posh" game into Zimbabwe, and now you'll pay for it because your white.

This is what it is like for the white players in Zimbabwe. The reasons they are all leaving is clear. They have no future, and even though alot of the black players are very good, and even a few are better than some of the whites, the lessers ones are still given priority, giving a totally skewed zimbabwe team that gets smashed and humiliated. The fact that its being televised is just farcial. It is going to be embarassing unless the best team is picked of skill alone, and not colour.

That would mean seeing Sibanda, Staddon, Waller, Rainsford, Cremer, Price, Taibu, Matsikineri, Mazakadza and Utseya in the one team. We all know thats not gonna happen because there are too many whites, but they are the ones with something to offer the Zimbabwean game.

Lets just wait and see, im going to try and see a game live, even though its on TV, which im suprised at as the ZBC dont normally allowed overseas tv crews into the country.

tlse

Post by tlse »

A VERY GOOD NEWS FROM CRICINFO Sean Williams is available for the series.

aydee

Post by aydee »

Some encouraging news today. Firstly, a very decent performance from the A-team. Especially Ed Rainsford, who really should be taking the new ball for the national team. It's a shame that they didn't have the opportunity to chase that target, as with Sibanda & Chibhabha in the side, they might have had a chance.

Also, Williams returning. I just hope the selectors do pick him. They can't afford to ignore him after this episode, although that is probably what any other country would do, and possibly how a player should be treated for threatening to walk away from his national side...