Zimbabwe Vs Australia 3rd One day international 2022

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Zimbabwe Vs Australia 3rd One day international 2022

Post by TapsC2 »

That Regis knock might be one of his most important. Played a key role. I also feel like Munyonga's 17 was also very very important in the context of the game. Got us just close enough. If they had got him for a duck I'm convinced we would have lost. The 30 minutes he was there killed their momentum.

To be honest it was just our day yesterday. A lot of things went our way. Regis was dropped by Finch too if I remember correctly

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:07 am
That Regis knock might be one of his most important. Played a key role. I also feel like Munyonga's 17 was also very very important in the context of the game. Got us just close enough. If they had got him for a duck I'm convinced we would have lost. The 30 minutes he was there killed their momentum.

To be honest it was just our day yesterday. A lot of things went our way. Regis was dropped by Finch too if I remember correctly
Regis played best in our team I think.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

grant

Post by grant »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:47 am
I’m going to go extreme negative Nelly here and post what will be a very unpopular opinion.

This victory was not all that good.
Good, but not amazing like is being said.

A few observations:
Home ground advantage:
‘First time we have beaten Australia at home’.
This is technically correct, but they played in Townsville. I’m the Tropics. They have never played there before either and these are foreign conditions for them considering 95+% of the population live below the tropics line.
Harare would feel more at home to these players than Townsville.

Burl brilliance:
Not saying he bowled badly but this haul was a complete fluke. This one I’m certain of.

Two wild stupid swings, a dolly from the worst full toss you’ll see, and two tail Enders is more luck than brilliant bowling.

Total:
We won off the back of such a low target being posted.
We were 7/141.
If we batted first, or if we were batting out the innings for soem reason, we would not have ousted a total larger than 170, absolute max. Is that really well played?
We won this on the back of Regis’ cool head. So again, leaving it up to one player.

Also, when Australia capitulates THAT quickly you know that it is a statistical anomaly of some sort. Yes, Zimbabwe bowled well, but this is more of a case of Australia not taking it serious and showing up and playing stupid then being dominated by us.

Honestly, the best work was from the quicks.

So yes, whilst it was good. The truth is a little bit more bland.

Flame away.
I still feel the conditions were more suited to Australia than us. There was so much bounce on offer! Our players clearly struggled against the bounce the Aussie bowlers were generating. Zimbabwean pitches are very different. Some of the shots that our batsmen got out playing, they wouldn't have got out playing those if they were playing in Zimbabwe.

For the first two matches, you can even argue that Australia got the better conditions since they won the toss on both occasions and made us bat first.

The positive I see from this series is that it shows we are capable of competing with higher ranked teams. We just need to improve our application. We played a lot of stupid cricket, yet we sneaked a win. Many of our batsmen were not patient enough and threw their wickets away.

Cosetz
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Cosetz »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Burl brilliance:
Not saying he bowled badly but this haul was a complete fluke. This one I’m certain of.

Two wild stupid swings, a dolly from the worst full toss you’ll see, and two tail Enders is more luck than brilliant bowling.

Total:
We were 7/141.
If we batted first, or if we were batting out the innings for soem reason, we would not have ousted a total larger than 170, absolute max. Is that really well played?
We won this on the back of Regis’ cool head. So again, leaving it up to one player.

Also, when Australia capitulates THAT quickly you know that it is a statistical anomaly of some sort. Yes, Zimbabwe bowled well, but this is more of a case of Australia not taking it serious and showing up and playing stupid then being dominated by us.

Green got praised for his 5fer in the first match. Overly aggressive shots being skied by Zimbabweans. Tailenders holing out in the deep, where it on some international grounds they could have been maximum. It is still a 5fer it can be applauded. Also in the past 2 years Burl has started to take these types of wickets. maybe it just is his strength, to lure batsmen into false sense of safe 6s.

Winning the toss was important all throughout the series. if we remove Aus and Zim and say team A v team B. If you see the scorecards of this series when Team B scores 200 then 96 in their first innings you'd say team B are not good, but when team A then also score 141, then maybe you will say the pitch, batting first was not good. That is without even factoring how far superior Team A is to team B in both batting and bowling.

We were chasing 142 on the same track we had been skittled for 90 odd and we had seen a far superior team post 141 against a world class bowling attack who are trying to defend such a low score.

If you are a professional representing your country and you are not taking it serious then you have a problem. Only Warner, Smith and Maxwell could also get away with that, the rest had the opportunity to cash in against a weaker opponent. Finch would have liked to make runs, so too Carey, Stoinis, Green ...

Flip this result and it is Zim losing exactly like this. Marumani is Warner, Ngarava is Starc etc. We lose 3-0 whitewash. What would have been the hot takes being made. Ravi Shastri would be using this series as an example why ODIs are dead and Bilaterals are useless. that does not mean they are going to stop I'm just saying that would have empowered them.

You points totally make sense, but that is if we were an England, a South Africa, team that was expected to beat Australia. But we are not, we were expecting to be totally humiliated. Heck even a competitive loss would have us reacting slightly like this. But little us, injury hit us, with openers with single digit international experience us, beat a FULL STRENGTH AUSTRALIA IN AUSTRALIA.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Dogg, many of those points are fair in terms of qualifying the win.

We could have had a greater first win against Australia in Australia.

But it still stands.

How many of our losses involve us hitting full tosses to fielders or equivalent? And we say, 'we suck'. We deserve to lose when we do that. Yesterday Australia deserved to lose to Zimbabwe and that is significant.

A couple of Burl's wickets were classic get out shots to a leggie. The caught and bowled along with Warner. How many times do our batsmen get out like that? All the time.

Australia could have played better and won. But they didn't and Zimbabwe won. And since that almost never happens it is big.

But you're right, it could've been a better first win in Australia.

Xlife

Post by Xlife »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
I’m going to go extreme negative Nelly here and post what will be a very unpopular opinion.

A few observations:
Home ground advantage:
This is technically correct, but they played in Townsville. I’m the Tropics. They have never played there before either and these are foreign conditions for them considering 95+% of the population live below the tropics line.

Burl brilliance:

Total:
We were 7/141.

Flame away.
Who pissed in your flakes this morning? 😂 This is a wildly pessimistic view of a very good win against a side that has infinitely more resources and players than our impoverished little country.

Commentary mentioned that this was the first time Australia lost 3 wickets within the first 10 overs since 2013! So their middle order is not used to dealing with falling behind early like that and shows how well our bowlers did upfront.

Don't minimise this, its a historically great victory and will do a lot for the team's confidence going forward (lack of confidence has always been Zimbabweans biggest flaw)

Xlife

Post by Xlife »

I'm also convinced that if we had won the toss and batted first our last 6 games against India and Australia, we would have won 1 or 2 more games, or at least been very competitive.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:

A few observations:
Home ground advantage:

Burl brilliance:

Total:
We were 7/141.

Flame away.
It is well played. Hard pitch against an excellent bowling attack under heaps of pressure.

As for the home ground advantage lol, you cannot say ZImbabwe were more at home there surely. The ground support is still overwhelmingly for Australia. The players were obviously not familiar with this ground or we wouldnt see the debacles in the first odi where they didnt understand the bounce or what shots to play.

And as for Burl`s haul, meh. He was bowling agsint the tail. Leg spinners are hard to face.

Anyway lmao, would you be more satisfied if Australia did not capitulate quickly?

Come on mate.

Like yeah, I understand it wasnt a comprehensive perfect victory with Raza and WIlliams tons but many better teams have come here and done much worse

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Well I definitely would have respected a 6/270 Aus getting beaten by a 5/273 type score.
My statistical mind screams outlier of the factors I named in the post everyone’s quoting.

I don’t think Zim were more at home. I think that both teams felt they were touring the West Indies.
Is it really home ground advantage if you’ve never played there before?

Climate wise, the difference between North QLD and Melbourne is huge.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

Was that Townsville pitch that much trickier to bat first on?
The results would indicate so, but it wasn't as noticeably different as the HSC deck between first and second dig.
There is a gap in skills between the sides, but you just need a few mistakes from the opposition batters and you're in the game.
The bowling especially levels the playing field- doesn't matter who's bowling it, if it's on a good length and nipping around you're going to take wickets. If the ball is only 130 plus and seaming 2 inches Tendulkar is struggling if it's on a good length.

The one thing that is a game changer for me is the sidearm.
A good guy on the dog stick can give you all the nastiness you need as a batsman. I'll bet ZC don't even give the staff new balls :lol: and the batters don't have enough bats to get them fucked up against the new ball in the nets :lol:
There's such a gap in the market for an aluminium or some type of plastic bat that saves your 400-800 dollar bats.

Burl's fifer was actually astonishing. Took 18 deliveries, second fastest ever, but for sure some innocuous deliveries did damage. We and he, will take it all day.

Evans currently is one of those guys that doesn't take wickets, but bowls well enough to, currently a bit unlucky, but if he just keeps plugging away they'll come. He's got such a nice repeatable action that he could become the backbone of our seam attack. A Third World McGrath.

That was perhaps Reggie's best innings. He'll remember that above any other, hopefully there's a couple more in the tank.

The guy that benefitted the most from that experience was probably Marumani. This guy has ability in abundance, but the brain of an ant, if he can learn to keep the scorpions at bay he solves a batting slot problem for us. He believes he can do it, and that's 90% of the battle. You actually probably need a few guys that lack a bit of imagination. :lol:

That HSC deck is a problem. You can't have a pitch where the game is decided on the toss. They need to re-lay at least 3 decks with clay from 3 different sources and see how they go because its ridiculous. Or of course we pray we win the toss and have a fighting chance :lol: