Zimbabwe T20 World Cup Squad 2022

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Zimbabwe T20 World Cup Squad 2022

Post by CholeZimbo »

Damn, weird Aussie hours to watch the WC ;)

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I hope someone has clocked on to getting us some night training and playing under lights somewhere in Zim. All our qualifying games are the 2nd of the day and will be played at night, so we really need to get familiar with the conditions.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Changes can be made to the WC squad until 10th October without any approvals from ICC team. So there is a chance Marumani can still be slotted in. Problem is that without any warm up series, you just cannot take a justified decision to drop someone already in the squad.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I'm confused by all the tweets about Marumani. Are the complaints about him not being in the starting line-up, but he's still in the squad?
I saw a couple of people's starting XI and Evans is not featured either. I'd have him ahead of Ngarava.
Plus I still don't see the benefit of Masakadza. He's not that much better than our part time spinners to justify a spot.
That would surely be where Marumani could slot in?

Donald

Post by Donald »

Googly wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:46 am
I'm confused by all the tweets about Marumani. Are the complaints about him not being in the starting line-up, but he's still in the squad?
I saw a couple of people's starting XI and Evans is not featured either. I'd have him ahead of Ngarava.
Plus I still don't see the benefit of Masakadza. He's not that much better than our part time spinners to justify a spot.
That would surely be where Marumani could slot in?
Masakadza the non spinner 🙄🙄😂😂
Fair play line and length can be immaculate in 20 20 so he needs to be in squad but maybe not final eleven.
Marumani is a non traveling reserve really and should have been on plane.
I get the impression they are trying to honour the team that got them qualification through the preliminaries for dressing room harmony perhaps. Evans is the only notable face that didnt feature in previous squad.

Googly

Post by Googly »

They've persevered with practically every half decent batsman over the years, yet Marumani has to wait for a retirement. He's not going to improve unless he plays internationals.
Both Chakabva and Ervine don't come off too often either.

Googly

Post by Googly »

There's a lit to like about Marumani. He's got an exceptional eye, fast hands and I don't think he's plagued by doubt.

BugsBunny

Post by BugsBunny »

Googly wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:41 am
There's a lit to like about Marumani. He's got an exceptional eye, fast hands and I don't think he's plagued by doubt.
I beg to differ here. If you look at the way he has played international cricket, he is a wild slogger and he connects the ball rarely too reflecting his strike rate of <80. Marumani needs to improve a lot on his batting as well as fielding. If Shumba/Burl had been given similar chances as an opener, they would would made much more impact than Marumani. Marumani had been dominating the domestic cricket as the quality of bowling is very bad.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

BugsBunny wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:19 am
Googly wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:41 am
I beg to differ here. If you look at the way he has played international cricket, he is a wild slogger and he connects the ball rarely too reflecting his strike rate of <80. Marumani needs to improve a lot on his batting as well as fielding. If Shumba/Burl had been given similar chances as an opener, they would would made much more impact than Marumani. Marumani had been dominating the domestic cricket as the quality of bowling is very bad.
The bowling may be very bad, yes, but then it's interesting that no one else apart from him and Raza have been 'dominating' that bowling, isn't it?

He may look out of place in international cricket, but he's still only 20 years old and has had limited, inconsistent, opportunities - so that's natural. Wes and Shumba have had stretches where they have looked poor too, but they are persisted with. Why isn't Marumani getting the same opportunities as them, especially when he does better domestically than them?

He's an aggressive player and I doubt he will ever play a Test match for Zim, but in T20's you need someone who can hit; and he can hit better than literally anybody in the entire country. Unfortunately the selectors still think a powerplay of 30-0 is better than 60-2.

Can anybody seriously tell me that Innocent Kaia deserves a place in the T20 squad more than marumani?

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

I’m sure the comparison has been made before, but is Marumani the new Cephas Zhuwao? Slogs the local bowlers from pillar to post, but can’t replicate it against international quality bowlers?

Marumani is obviously a lot younger than Zhuwao was when he ‘re-emerged’ in 2017/18 but I’m getting similar vibes. Although he did ‘responsibly well’ in Australia I feel like he had lots of luck & didn’t find the middle of the bat that often.

I do agree with the idea that he won’t improve by destroying local bowlers in a T10 league, if Marumani is going to be a successful international batsman he’ll need to play at that level to find his feet.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement