Ben Curran

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Ben Curran

Post by secretzimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:14 pm
As good as this is, and it IS good, whats his role here?

He is a middle order bits and pieces player right?

The one spot we dont struggle for is middle order bats who do a bit of this and that. Wes, Burl, the big 3, Regis, Munyonga, Milton, Evans and Jongwe.

We need openers, genuine sloggers, spinners and paceman and wickey depth in no particular order.

Ballance is the real big coup and low hanging fruit.
Curran is an opener mate

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:38 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:

The one spot we dont struggle for is middle order bats who do a bit of this and that. Wes, Burl, the big 3, Regis, Munyonga, Milton, Evans and Jongwe.

We need openers, genuine sloggers, spinners and paceman and wickey depth in no particular order.

Curran is an opener mate
Oh I did not know.

Accept my apologies theres like 7 of them.

Also isnt this the one that was born and raised in England? How can he be local?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:50 pm
Oh I did not know.

Also isnt this the one that was born and raised in England? How can he be local?
Yeah that's interesting, there was a mention about 2 months back that he had began applying for his Zim passport, so it looks like he has got it.

You can gain Zim citizenship if one of your parents had it. I think that involves renouncing your other passports though - seems to be different answers depending on where you look.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Well let's hope he lights up the system this year

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:23 pm
The other one we really need to think about is Regis' successor as a gloveman.

Regis is 35, and in a year or so his agility, and therefore his glovework, is at massive risk of decline, and when it hits, its going to be pretty fast, unless he remains dedicated to his fitness, and even then thats only 2 years extension max.
But it will be harder and harder for him to maintain that, and theres a chance he will:
A) retire
or,
b) Give up the gloves in 1-2 years to focus on his batting. Which is a right he has earned really with his efforts the last 12 months, no doubt hamstrung by glove commitments. The only black batsmen we ever had that has improved with time.

The good news is if ZC wake up to this fact now, they can plan for it. They have a good year at least to prepare.

Schadendorf is the obvious one. He can slot naturally in and be better.
Murray is a never was and the ship has sailed even if he wants it.

One of the bennett boys are a keeper too arent they? That could also be a strong option in 2/3 years.
That's why ZC is persisting with Madande as backup wk

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Yeah I see Curran as the Ervine successor, can bat 3 in ODIs & Tests and open in t20s

Speaking of keepers, where is Ryan Murray at?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:04 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:50 pm
Oh I did not know.

Yeah that's interesting, there was a mention about 2 months back that he had began applying for his Zim passport, so it looks like he has got it.

You can gain Zim citizenship if one of your parents had it. I think that involves renouncing your other passports though - seems to be different answers depending on where you look.
Is a passport all you need to qualify?
If I got a polish passport because my grandfather was born in occupied Lviv, can I represent Poland?

Extreme example but if Ben was not born and raised there….?

And what he has probably done is renounced his UK passport, then just reapplied for it after getting his Zim, since he would obviously have a claim to Uk Citizenship.

I’ve also heard of people where I am, where dual citizenship mashup is not allowed, somehow managing to get dual through loopholes like this.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:

So we need everything :lol: :lol: :lol:

Realistically the order should be openers, slogger, wicketkeeper. We have enough bowlers. Should not spend any obscene amounts on any unless its some Rashid Khan clone. Are there any domestic washed up keepers who have the batting skill of a Kevin Kazuza or Maruma? I forget

Googly

Post by Googly »

I think Ben was born here and his dad certainly was so he has rights to a passport and citizenship. His mum is English. The Zim gov did not allow dual citizenship for many years, but recently relaxed that. That's the theory, practically they wouldn't issue you with a Zim passport, particularly if you were white, there was a "go back to Britain" mentality at the passport office. I know of a couple of people who eventually obtained their Zim passport after going through lawyers and engaging in a protracted wrangle with the passport office. Being told by the courts to issue a passport is not a guarantee that they will listen either.
What has happened over the years is that more and more black Zimbos now have Brit passports and it's becoming trickier for the passport office to discriminate, but they do anyway. Again I know of many people that had Zim passports which lapsed and the passport office just point blank refused to issue a new one even though legally they're obliged to. We are second class citizens.
Generally you use a facilitator to get anything done at the passport office or you will die of old age, frustration and claustrophobia. That's the general rule of thumb with most things here- make it difficult then create a back door route that requires money.
Having said all of that, it is getting easier there.
The printing of the passports is owned by a private firm that absolutely coins it. Clearly there's a kick back to somebody.
Welcome to Africa!

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly, Ben was born in the U.K.

Doggy, yep, get that passport and you could be playing for Poland! The ICC regs are you must either have a full passport (obtained through means in line with the countries normal nationality laws) or do a 3-year residence period. It’s pretty easy to play international cricket for some minor associate if you really want to!