Zimbabweans in franchise league

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
pillowprocter

Re: Zimbabweans in franchise league

Post by pillowprocter »

Googly wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:38 am
sam_ahm wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:55 am
No guys, I can for sure say that BCCI are not biased against Muslims, you can trust me and fellow indian posters on that. I don't want to elaborate much on this but yeah, I mean, you can accuse the BCCI of being greedy and bully and selfish, I won't argue hard on that, but I wouldn't blame them on biasedness against Muslims. That's not correct.
How many Moslems or Christians have played for India?
I'm sure never more than one guy in the team and very occasionally.
Shami and Siraj are both muslims. I'd assume they've played a few games together.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

pillowprocter wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:20 am
Googly wrote:
sam_ahm wrote:
No guys, I can for sure say that BCCI are not biased against Muslims, you can trust me and fellow indian posters on that. I don't want to elaborate much on this but yeah, I mean, you can accuse the BCCI of being greedy and bully and selfish, I won't argue hard on that, but I wouldn't blame them on biasedness against Muslims. That's not correct.
Shami and Siraj are both muslims. I'd assume they've played a few games together.
They have had a few muzzies.
Robin Singh the last big christian I think but there was one guy in the domestic scene with a crazy anglo name. Something like charlie Anderson.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Saint_Mel

Post by Saint_Mel »

Sheldon Jackson

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Robin Uthappa too.

all the anglo indians would be christian too i assume. So alot of bollywood types.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Crastle_cog

Post by Crastle_cog »

Googly wrote:
sam_ahm wrote:
Why would more than a guy be a norm when muslims are about 14 percent of the population? But to answer your question- currently India regularly has Siraj and Shami. We also have had muslim captains in the past. There has been 1-2 muslims at any point of time in the squad or thereabouts since cricket became international. Almost always. Also, christians are more common than you believe as well. Many Christians still keep their indian names so that would need more of a research from my side.

andrewn9

Post by andrewn9 »

Zaheer Khan must be a muslim I'd have thought. Azharuddin is another, going back many years.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The one interesting one, although he was Pakistani, was Yousuf Yohana (Christian) who then became Mohammad Yousuf.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I think the team is selected on merit, I don't think we have any reason to believe BCCI is anti Muslim.

Mohammad Azharuddin, Arshad Ayub, Mohammad Siraj all come from my home town and are practising Muslims. Azhar lead India for 10+ years and is still the only Indian Captain to lead India in 3 ODI World Cups and still has the most ODI wins as a captain for India. Cannot happen if the BCCI were biased guys.

Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi has also lead India in the yesteryear.

Zaheer Khan, Mohammad Kaif, Irfan Pathan, Munaf Patel, Syed Saba Karim, Wasim Jaffer, Mohammad Shami are some of the more famous players to have played many internationals for India.

I'm a muslim myself so obviously I'm not being biased guys. I'm very happy and proud to be an Indian.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Ryan Burl smashing it again today, good to see him get back into form.