Test XI - Windies series

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Test XI - Windies series

Post by jaybro »

Donald wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:53 pm
Ervine has been in training with the squad today so at the very least he will be playing with ballance.
Lot rests on their shoulders to be fair.
Ballance can pretty much play how he did in the one day matches with an accumulator role. This is perfect for him.
Expecting some runs from Kaia and chibhaba also.
Yeah I agree with this, I was thinking today that Kaia and Chamu should really be suited to playing the Windies at QSC. The pitch should be flat and a touch on the slow side without being 'two paced'. This should mean the Windies fast bowlers will come onto the bat nicely, without rearing up or causing the batsman too many issues.

Kaia and Chamu both look pretty comfortable against pace bowling, so if the pitch is playing any tricks and the ball is coming on nicely, it should suit their games. Ervine and Ballance should also both enjoy these conditions as well, especially if the top 3 can get through the first 30 odd overs, that would mean the Windies bowlers will be coming back for their 3rd and 4th stints which is where you can take advantage.

I'm assuming the Windies will go with four-fast bowlers and one spinner after the warm-up game where their pacers ripped through the Zim XI top order. But as I said if the Zimbabwe Top 3 can see off the first 30 odd overs before the middle comes in, we should be able to bat long enough to draw the game with the weather likely to play a part as well.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

jw2 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:11 pm
sam_ahm wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:02 am
I can't think of any Zimbabwe series in recent times for which I was so uninterested. Just can't see them competing here. It will be a boring one sided affair.
I gloomily predict (weather permitting) two three-day innings defeats, which should be dedicated to our two unpatriotic Bangladeshi mercenaries, Raza and Burl. Shame on them, who used to claim such pride in playing for their country!
Whilst it is disappointing that they aren't playing , you can't blame them for trying to make a decent living

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Why do we need international cricket at all? Let's help players earn a living by promoting franchise cricket, we can pick one random team in each league and cheer for them!!! 🎉🥳

andrea lanzoni

Post by andrea lanzoni »

sam_ahm wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:34 am
Why do we need international cricket at all? Let's help players earn a living by promoting franchise cricket, we can pick one random team in each league and cheer for them!!! 🎉🥳
My point of view is still the same: International cricket to be concentrated on a few months of the year.
In such case best players may play with their national squad without compromising their income.

It's a point of view which is even more valid for the survival of Test Cricket.
It's meaningless stubborning scheduling test matches on a random basis along the year. Concentrate ALL Test matches in a couple of months and you'll get best players while leaving the other 10 months for T20 leagues, etc.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

What's hurt me a little more is that West Indies have come absolutely full strength, Alzarri, Mayers, and Holder have all skipped their franchise commitments and are playing for WI, sadly Raza and Burl aren't. And Sikki probably has more leagues lined up than his westindian counterparts. At most he would have missed 2 games of ILT20 and 1-2 games of PSL. That's all.

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

sam_ahm wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:41 pm
What's hurt me a little more is that West Indies have come absolutely full strength, Alzarri, Mayers, and Holder have all skipped their franchise commitments and are playing for WI, sadly Raza and Burl aren't. And Sikki probably has more leagues lined up than his westindian counterparts. At most he would have missed 2 games of ILT20 and 1-2 games of PSL. That's all.
I think we all forgive Raza for missing the series but no excuses for Burl.

He has been in great form and is missing out on a big series to play in some awful league that nobody cares about. If I was a selector I would think twice about picking him for test matches in the future, I’d rather a committed player than one who would miss out on a test match, the highest tier match of all.

Oh well he has a crap average in this format anyway.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Yeah I’m mightily annoyed at Burl in particular.

ZC should have just told him No. Easy.

jw2

Post by jw2 »

mnelson68 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:23 am
jw2 wrote:
sam_ahm wrote:
I can't think of any Zimbabwe series in recent times for which I was so uninterested. Just can't see them competing here. It will be a boring one sided affair.
I gloomily predict (weather permitting) two three-day innings defeats, which should be dedicated to our two unpatriotic Bangladeshi mercenaries, Raza and Burl. Shame on them, who used to claim such pride in playing for their country!
Whilst it is disappointing that they aren't playing , you can't blame them for trying to make a decent living
The likes of Sean Williams and Craig Ervine seem to think it's a decent enough living though they don't have overseas contracts at all. Our top players are paid very well. With even partial overseas contacts, I'm sure they would be earning far more than I ever did. But they have now become mercenaries, available to the highest bidder, and national pride and loyalty must bow to the big dollar sign.

jw2

Post by jw2 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:01 pm
jw2 wrote:
sam_ahm wrote:
I can’t be mad at Sikandar. He’s done enough recently to earn freedom to choose. Also at his age and considering we play like 1 Test per year, it makes sense for him personally to pretty much retire from Tests.

I’m very disappointed in Burl though. He should be here.
Only one Test a year on average, all the more reason why he should put his country first for such a short time on its biggest occasion.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

jw2 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:33 pm
mnelson68 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:23 am
jw2 wrote:

The likes of Sean Williams and Craig Ervine seem to think it's a decent enough living though they don't have overseas contracts at all. Our top players are paid very well. With even partial overseas contacts, I'm sure they would be earning far more than I ever did. But they have now become mercenaries, available to the highest bidder, and national pride and loyalty must bow to the big dollar sign.
Absolutely. All well known cricketers earn a lot more than an average employed person, they have lavish life styles and many amenities at their disposal. I'm talking globally not just Zimbabwe.

So all this talk about "we are not paying their bills" and all that is exaggerated. I'm not against them earning more, I'm just saying that playing for your national team should be put above franchise cricket. You can't prioritise 'earning more' ALL the time.

They get picked by franchises only after performing well for their nation, at least that's the case for 90% of the time. We can't have a situation where in players are giving a demo of their abilities to franchises while playing fir their country and once they get a franchise deal, put that very country below on the priority list. That's not what this game was all about.