Test XI - Windies series

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Test XI - Windies series

Post by secretzimbo »

Mavuta in a 4-man attack is a massive massive risk.

Mavuta and Wellington both have to play.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:15 am
TapsC2 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:28 am
For me

Kaia
Maunze/Makoni
Chamu
Ballance
Ervine
Shumba
Tsiga(wk)
Evans
Mavuta
Ngarava
Chivanga
Me too I’m down for this
Yep, makes sense.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Taps u make a couple of good observations-
That cut shot with steep bounce is not easy. It's his money shot for sure. The steep bounce is less of an issue than variable bounce though.
I will bet that Chamu has quietly been on a Central Contract all this time. He's a party stalwart. You only make noise if you're being compensated and wanting the most coveted thing of all, and that's a ZC job after cricket. There's no money in cricket here, only job security for survival purposes after you hang up your boots. He has to believe he's in line for that, he's been a decent senior player and supporter for a very long time. Nervous times for him at the back end of his career, ZC already carrying a lot of dead wood, not that that appears to worry them. Chamu has been thrown a life line here and is likely to get a few games, I rate him, good luck luck to him.

I think Campbell should have had a run in this last game.
He will start pressing Shumba. He may well improve whilst Shumba is in real danger of stagnating.
I like Shumba, has DF, but he's struggling, whilst Campbell appears to be making slow and steady progress.

I think Mashinge is out of his depth at international level.

These guys that have had international exposure and not quite making the grade being a better option than the younger guys proves that experience counts. They obtained that when the cupboard was really bare. Now the "selectors" face a dilemma because Shumba and Madhevere have really not grabbed their opportunities. It's obviously not too late to persevere with them, but then you produce a player that we've seen many times before. A shell shocked guy wondering how he's going to get his 19 average to 35 plus.

Their only other options are Curran, if he shows decent form and does whatever time they deem appropriate. That's probably based on them not wanting to annoy the existing domestic players, but that's only a worry when it suits.
Revisting PJ. Nobody seems to know whether he's available and there's definitely poor history with him and politics. He's had shit form in long patches but he can definitely hold his own on occasion. Is that not where we are at?
There's Myers, depending on his plans. I will be surprised if he makes a successful return.
There's Bennet if he sticks around and plays well over the next 18 months.
Ditto Matt Welch. Both did well at u19, both have ability, but they would need to deliver domestically.
The logical comparison is between these two and Shumba, Myers and Wes because only 3 or so years separate them. Would one of them be able to get to the next level? ZC are not spoilt for choice and they need to persevere with them if they stick around because there are no other youngsters coming through that are even close to their level. It's the same thing though- ZC need to think 2 years down the line when guys retire. Maybe by then another decent Zimbo will emerge on the county circuit that can be bought?
They won't stick around for 4 months worth of pay though.
ZC needs to create another domestic tier of guys on 12 month domestic contracts for about 6 or so promising guys. It's not a lot of extra money in the grand scheme of things. If they think they can keep paying good players a pittance for 4 months of the year they will continue not getting anywhere. The minute they address this there will be a marked improvement.

This last game and this looming test is going to highlight the dire straits we are in. ZC will either bury their heads in the sand or will be a bit more pro-active.

Then of course we can revisit the age old Muyeye, Byrom, Welch debate. Guys who haven't established themselves at County yet, but in my opinion are a cut above. Someone at ZC needs to buy into that though, and that is not going to happen. They want them to come back of their own free will or if they've lost their contracts to come and duke it out with the other $500 a month players.
They will change their minds in 2 years time though. Without Williams, Ervine and Raza and without Shumba and Wes having stepped up as expected it's a shit show.
So far the only guy to pleasantly surprise is Kaia.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

It all boils down to whether you think Gumbie and Tsiga et al are better investments than Madhevere, Munyonga, Marumani and Madande.

I really don’t think they are

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:30 am
It all boils down to whether you think Gumbie and Tsiga et al are better investments than Madhevere, Munyonga, Marumani and Madande.

Love to know what Mawayo at the Rhinos has done wrong, a better batsman and wicket keeper that Tsiga. Just not sure how Tsiga is suddenly the best wk in the country, Mutumbambi has been keeping for the Rocks this season.

Googly

Post by Googly »

It will likely be a long round of musical chairs without any player really cementing a spot.
One innings of 30 plus guaranteeing more exposure. Its a low bar.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

zimfan1 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:38 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:30 am

Love to know what Mawayo at the Rhinos has done wrong, a better batsman and wicket keeper that Tsiga. Just not sure how Tsiga is suddenly the best wk in the country, Mutumbambi has been keeping for the Rocks this season.
Ya Mayavo is a dynamite keeper. Tsiga probably a better bat though in this format.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

zimfan1 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:30 am
jaybro wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:15 am
TapsC2 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:28 am
For me

Kaia
Maunze/Makoni
Chamu
Ballance
Ervine
Shumba
Tsiga(wk)
Evans
Mavuta
Ngarava
Chivanga
Me too I’m down for this
Yep, makes sense.
Kaia
Chamu
Ballance
Ervine
Shumba
Tsiga(wk)
Welly M
Evans
Mavuta
Ngarava
Chivanga

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I can't think of any Zimbabwe series in recent times for which I was so uninterested. Just can't see them competing here. It will be a boring one sided affair.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Do we think blessing and williams will come into the reckoning for the second test?