Ireland Tour - Discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Ireland Tour - Discussion

Post by Googly »

And as much as we want to watch cricket we need the rain more.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Looks incredibly unlikely we'll see any play in either of the remaining matches according to the current forecast

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I was even surprised we got a game on Wednesday but Harare is actually not that small anymore. It was pouring in many places on Wednesday but the match still happened. My weather app is at 99% but where I am right now there is sunshine and its about 50% clear.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

My concern is that if these games are washed out, there’s only the 3 ODIs v Holland prior to the CWCQ

This is where we really need to call in a favour from one of the already qualified sides to play some more ODIs, preferably in Zimbabwe.

Afghanistan are free to play now that the Aussies bailed on them, although we tour the UAE to play them soon after but I’d still be asking them the question.

The other option is to have a strong A-team tour such as South Africa or Australia. Even a 3rd string Aussie side would be great preparation for the boys. Depending on if South Africa qualify directly, they might not want to help Zimbabwe’s preparations.

South Africa really don’t do anything to try help out Zimbabwe at all, which is really disappointing. Apart from inviting them over for that ‘suicide mission’ pink ball test, there’s very little cricket played between the neighbouring nations which is sad.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:30 pm

Afghanistan are free to play now that the Aussies bailed on them, although we tour the UAE to play them soon after but I’d still be asking them the question.
I was thinking about this yesterday. Honestly, screw Afghanistan. They have bailed on us quite a few times now. Why should we keep running to them?

They also have not done any of their duties as a full member ICC, yet continue to hold status and get games. They are now also under a regime that is restricting and denying women basic rights, so should we really be allowing them to play us and make money of matches against us.

The ICC were so quick to ban us after the SRC issue, yet Afghanistan have been breaking so many rules of being a full member and getting away with it. I don't think we should be running to them so quickly. We can arrange against the SA Emerging side or ask Aus to send over their B side. Heck, even play Namibia if we have to, but let's stop legitimising Afghanistan.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I've always disliked the Afghanistan side. A sense of arrogance and cocky attitude.

I used to seriously dislike the Irish, too. There seemed a bitterness towards us for our full member status. But things seem to have cooled slightly since. There seemed to be a lot of harmony after the T20 series and that first ODI.

I remember William Portesfield being incredibly disrespectful in a post match interview when the Irish had lost, saying Zimbabwe got lucky and and they were and always will be better than them. Jog on mate.

The Afghanistani's have taken that mantra now

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Namibia would be a truly great option to turn towards. They're a side on the up

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I agree with your sentiments about Afghanistan Zimbo_05, but I’m just looking at schedules, who’s available and who’s likely to come.

Afghanistan would also provide a really good test for Zimbabwe in preparation for the CWCQ, even if Rashid can’t be arsed coming over, Afghanistan should look at a series like this as a chance to blood new talent if they think they’re good to play Zimbabwe.

I’d love to see Zimbabwe play Namibia more often, but although they are a much improved side and would challenge Zimbabwe, I’d rather play better opposition in preparation.

As I’ve said many times before, the best way to improve is to play against better opposition, and for preparation for the CWCQ it would be greatly beneficial for Zimbabwe.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sloandog wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:53 pm
I've always disliked the Afghanistan side. A sense of arrogance and cocky attitude.

I used to seriously dislike the Irish, too. There seemed a bitterness towards us for our full member status. But things seem to have cooled slightly since. There seemed to be a lot of harmony after the T20 series and that first ODI.

I remember William Portesfield being incredibly disrespectful in a post match interview when the Irish had lost, saying Zimbabwe got lucky and and they were and always will be better than them. Jog on mate.

The Afghanistani's have taken that mantra now
The reason the Irish don’t talk so much anymore is because they keep losing to Zimbabwe in head to heads. It’s that simple.

The Irish are known for drinking a lot. So of course they will talk a lot of shit. Remember Connon McGregor before he got his ass shredded by Khabib?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

The weather apps seem to be improving for Zimbabwe