Zimbabwe Cricket Photo Quiz

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Zimbabwe Cricket Photo Quiz

Post by Googly »

I watched BT, Wishart and a few other talents when they were schoolboys and they were exceptional, it was a different era, cricket has moved on a bit. When you watch Muyeye change gear it’s quite a sight I have to tell you. He can really T off. Zim cricket has gone backwards from those days and the rest of the world has gone up a couple of notches.

Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Andybligzz »

Googly wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:35 am
I watched BT, Wishart and a few other talents when they were schoolboys and they were exceptional, it was a different era, cricket has moved on a bit. When you watch Muyeye change gear it’s quite a sight I have to tell you. He can really T off. Zim cricket has gone backwards from those days and the rest of the world has gone up a couple of notches.
Googly who would be your top 3 youngsters coming through over the age of 16 currently , likely to stay and play for zim obviously . So over the talent leaving , its soul destroying
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Andybligzz wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:53 am
Googly wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:35 am
Googly who would be your top 3 youngsters coming through over the age of 16 currently , likely to stay and play for zim obviously . So over the talent leaving , its soul destroying
Good question. Wouldn't mind hearing this myself

Googly

Post by Googly »

That’s an impossible question to answer.
Once these boys hit Form 6 if they have the university option they have to take it. ZC are not offering alternatives.
Even if they have an option to travel/work elsewhere and get in some cricket they would be stupid not to.
This is what Roche (ok I hear he’s left permanently?) and Shardendorf have done. I’m using these two guys as examples because they cropped up on this thread, but it’s absolutely no longer an option only available to the white kids.
Let’s revisit this RS initiative- even if it was in place, perhaps you’re essentially creating just another franchise without any really standout cricketers? In theory a really good youngster should make one of the existing franchises on merit anyway, shouldn’t they?
It’s almost as if Taibu and co figured they needed one because they were of the opinion that the existing franchise slots were dead man’s shoes. There’s merit in that thought process because that’s exactly what has happened. But then again we haven’t really seen anyone outstanding except perhaps Blessing.
I really thought that the RS guys were fairly ordinary (just my opinion) yet they managed to win the 50 over stuff, which was a double edged sword. On the one hand it opened up an opportunity that didn’t exist before, but on the other hand it showed up the poor standard of our domestic cricket. So how many players from this winning RS side have now got a franchise gig? I don’t know the answer, but if at least 4 of them haven’t then there’s something very wrong. Taps, can you answer this?

The real problem here is that we’re in economic meltdown and anyone that can leave will do so. I don’t think that just applies to school leavers either!
I have just seen the U19 squad of 30, which is just a stupid number, if they can’t get that down to at least the best 22 at a glance then they’re just wasting time.

I guess I may have almost answered your question. ZC require unbelievably talented boys with no money hence cancelling out any opportunities for university, travel or scholarships. Most kids at the private schools you would think have some options, that leaves government school boys. I don’t know them that well because I don’t really see them play expect for Churchill. As far as batsmen go the only one in this category is Shumba and the only bowler that really jumped out at me was a young leggie they call Chessa, I’m not sure if that’s a nickname, but I rate this young man, he’s got turn, bounce and control, he’s very promising. There’s the Churchill opening bowler, Nungu, who really charges in and has got a very fast arm action. He’s good, but his size worries me, he’s not going to grow much and these days you don’t see many short genuine quicks, but he’s got heart for sure.
If I get an opportunity to watch any u19 stuff or get feedback from guys I know that know what they’re talking about I will pass it on.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Sorry am bored and my DSTV was just cut off and it’s too late to reconnect so I can waffle if anyone is interested. :lol:
We really are facing our biggest economic crisis yet and it’s going to have a profound impact. Nobody is seeing the way out. Ncube’s austerity budget can’t work. He’s a smart guy and it’s glaring errors smack of him not having a free hand. It was chaos in town today with massive fuel queues at every garage. Obviously owners are withholding fuel until Monday when they get that extra 7c, but my friends in the trade say they’re getting no RBZ allocation for fresh imports, and that’s not just for fuel. We’re a retail outlet with virtually no industry or manufacturing, the export retention programs has made mining non productive and the command agriculture can’t work. State run enterprises, even with competent people at the helm, have a history of 100% failure in every country, yet we’re having yet another stab at it with the most corrupt and incompetent bunch of people, how can it work? . It pains me to say that because I want to see a future here but it’s not easy.
ZC are one of the very few foreign currency earners and should be better placed than most, but we know but we know their problems and you can never be impervious to the economic chaos around you.
They seem intent on not spending money on anything and that I find very alarming. They obviously need to service their debt but if they don’t spend money on cricket itself we’re worsening our already monumental problems.
They don’t tell anyone what’s going on, we just hear via via and there never seems to be any official announcements, it’s very disheartening

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

559. For getting the full point, name the two here, and how one has potentially influenced another's career.
ZCPQ418.JPG
ZCPQ418.JPG (31.55 KiB) Viewed 3644 times

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I know it's Landman and Mire, not are about the influencing bit

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I think you've cracked the important part. The remaining can be googled and answered too. So, giving you the point.

Landman had planned to play grade cricket in Australia soon after the U19 World Cup, but proceeded to go to UK and study instead, as a last minute decision. Instead of leaving the Aussie club in the lurch for his loss, he got them in touch with his U19 team mate Solomon Mire. The rest, as they say, is history.

Mire looks so Chigumbura-esque in that pic, with his smile especially :)

CrimsonAvenger: 57
eugene, foreignfield: 55
zimfan1: 36
Ming: 34
Jemisi: 23
Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic), gargamel: 22
brmtaylor.com admin: 19
totoro: 16
PSR: 15
Train Driver, sloandog: 13
andrewn9: 12
samedwards, aydee, grant: 10
Googly: 9
andy24: 8
alan132, reverbinstinct: 7
dylan, maehara, cock: 6
mdm, Leg-Glance, zimlover: 5
Rayzer, Detective RDS, jontym87: 4
baiju029, jaybro, cricket_22001, Tom91: 3
Conant, hhm, Flower power, Horo, PieChucker, Zimfanatic69, sixes fan, rusty17, TapsC: 2
zimdan, Boundary, betterdays, jamthala, auszim, pearl, takleg, ZIMFAN, TheCricketStoreZim, TheBradDevil, herb, AngusBeef, jimmylesaint, SpitfiresKent, rupeni, tawac:1

Googly

Post by Googly »

I’d cracked double figures but you’ve left me on 9?

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Googly wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:10 pm
I’d cracked double figures but you’ve left me on 9?
Opps! I copied from the wrong post I guess. Here's the correct updated score:

CrimsonAvenger: 57
eugene, foreignfield: 55
zimfan1: 36
Ming: 34
Jemisi: 23
Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic), gargamel: 22
brmtaylor.com admin: 19
totoro: 16
PSR: 15
Train Driver, sloandog: 13
andrewn9: 12
samedwards, aydee, grant, Googly: 10
andy24: 8
alan132, reverbinstinct: 7
dylan, maehara, cock: 6
mdm, Leg-Glance, zimlover: 5
Rayzer, Detective RDS, jontym87: 4
baiju029, jaybro, cricket_22001, Tom91: 3
Conant, hhm, Flower power, Horo, PieChucker, Zimfanatic69, sixes fan, rusty17, TapsC: 2
zimdan, Boundary, betterdays, jamthala, auszim, pearl, takleg, ZIMFAN, TheCricketStoreZim, TheBradDevil, herb, AngusBeef, jimmylesaint, SpitfiresKent, rupeni, tawac:1