Zimbabwe Vs Ireland | 3rd T20I | 15th Jan 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe Vs Ireland | 3rd T20I | 15th Jan 2023

Post by jaybro »

Donald wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:19 pm
Innocent Kaia has some power.

Think he will do well under Houghton myself over a period of time. Rajput made him drop anchor against afghanistan in his debut series. You can see he now looks a different player playing with freedom.
Yeah Kaia is definitely impressive, much better than his domestic numbers suggest
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

His domestic numbers over the past few years have been really good actually.

I have high hopes for him in Test cricket

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Real opportunity to cash in on this cricket fever at the moment, particularly with local soccer being in a really bad place currently. In fact soccer's problems are probably contributing somewhat to more people turning back to cricket.

The problem we have with building the fanbase further and stronger is the large gaps between home series and the absolute zero interest in domestic cricket. Not sure how we drive real engagement in the domestic stuff and I'm sure ZC have no clue either. At the moment it' a good day when 20 people turn up to watch a Logan Cup game...

Will be interesting to see what the crowd is like for the Tests in Bulawayo next month. Not sure if this recent craze is mostly just a Harare thing. Also it's been literally years since we hosted Tests with fans allowed to attend - I wonder if there is still local appetite for attending Test matches and if any of these newly energised fans will be interested? I'm hoping to get down there, maybe for the 2nd Test.

Donald

Post by Donald »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:34 pm
Real opportunity to cash in on this cricket fever at the moment, particularly with local soccer being in a really bad place currently. In fact soccer's problems are probably contributing somewhat to more people turning back to cricket.

The problem we have with building the fanbase further and stronger is the large gaps between home series and the absolute zero interest in domestic cricket. Not sure how we drive real engagement in the domestic stuff and I'm sure ZC have no clue either. At the moment it' a good day when 20 people turn up to watch a Logan Cup game...

Will be interesting to see what the crowd is like for the Tests in Bulawayo next month. Not sure if this recent craze is mostly just a Harare thing. Also it's been literally years since we hosted Tests with fans allowed to attend - I wonder if there is still local appetite for attending Test matches and if any of these newly energised fans will be interested? I'm hoping to get down there, maybe for the 2nd Test.
Did we not host the world cup quailifiers in Bulawayo last year. Crowds were electric.
People also back a winning horse. Series wins against ireland and bangladesh and also occasional wins against pakistan and australia has really brought cricket to forwfront again. Not to mention our progression to super sixes.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

I like Munyonga has something that Wes, Shumba and Co don't, character.

Clear that Houghton likes him. I think he is a better bet at 5/6 than Wes at three at the moment.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Random one but did anyone else notice that Kudzai Maunze had been added to the squad. Wearing shirt number 4.

Wonder if it is more to do with the fact the Eagles were not playing in the logan cup?

tgk

Post by tgk »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:20 pm
tgk wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:13 pm
Get Evans back in for Jongwe as well.
I like Evans a lot and deserves a run in the team but I don't understand why anyone would say the above after today? Jongwe bowled pretty well including the crucial last over, and then hit the winning runs with no drama.

Gets lots of unnecessary criticism for no reason. He just needs to eat fewer pies.

Evans would be my pick in longer formats but Jongwe's record in T20's is very very good..
I feel like he's a better bet for the 50 over games, that's what I meant. Jongwe still has that x factor of sorts which the T20 game needs but I'd rather take 10 overs of Evans in an ODI

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Maunze; Ya I think probably just a case of him being available and nearby. Wouldn’t read too much into it although some people rate him for the red ball team

Donald

Post by Donald »

So hopefully balance Nd raza back for one dayers

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Any highlights??