Zimbabwe Vs Ireland | 3rd T20I | 15th Jan 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Zimbabwe Vs Ireland | 3rd T20I | 15th Jan 2023

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Googly wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:49 pm
I think a fair percentage of the crowd come for the dancing and singing. We've developed a worldwide rep for it now.
It looks very impressive on TV. Imagine if they ever put the floodlights in!

tgk

Post by tgk »

What a brilliant series from the team, shows that Houghton has actually made some serious impacts to this team. We already knew that but it puts it on paper. Burl really coming into his own now as a proper all rounder, he's taking over that Raza role for the future. Wes had a tough series but I still think sticking with him and Marumani is the right thing to do. Get Evans back in for Jongwe as well. The bowling attack has been without Blessing and they've done a solid job. Ervine today was actually pretty perfect, marshalled the innings. I think he gets unfair criticism, he's still one of the three best batsmen in the country and will continue to be that until he calls it a day. Can't wait for the ODIs, hopefully we can stamp another series win.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

tgk wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:13 pm
Get Evans back in for Jongwe as well.
I like Evans a lot and deserves a run in the team but I don't understand why anyone would say the above after today? Jongwe bowled pretty well including the crucial last over, and then hit the winning runs with no drama.

Gets lots of unnecessary criticism for no reason. He just needs to eat fewer pies.

Evans would be my pick in longer formats but Jongwe's record in T20's is very very good..

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:20 pm
tgk wrote:
I like Evans a lot and deserves a run in the team but I don't understand why anyone would say the above after today? Jongwe bowled pretty well including the crucial last over, and then hit the winning runs with no drama.

Gets lots of unnecessary criticism for no reason. He just needs to eat fewer pies.

Evans would be my pick in longer formats but Jongwe's record in T20's is very very good..
Is it possible to accommodate both of them?

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Can somebody post highlights when they're readily available? This looks like it'll be worth a watch!

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:31 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:20 pm
tgk wrote:

Is it possible to accommodate both of them?
Yeah could be!

Evans gets the nod in the ODIs for me though. Jongwe doesn't look fit enough to bowl more than a few overs....

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya I agree. Is there not room for both of them in T20?
Evans and Jongwe are comparable to Munyonga with the bat. Obviously when Raza returns it gets tight.

The problem is nothing has changed with the batting. We rely on Williams and Ervine to anchor, Raza to deliver and Burl to occasionally come to the party. That's woeful at international level.

Burl and Raza are the only two that can comfortably bang it in front of square. Raza has to really give it 120% whilst Burl can do it easier.
Burl is still stuck in the role of match saver, not match winner. He's always under the pump when he comes in and surely has to come in at least one up the order?

How does Jongwe pass fitness tests? Clearly he's fitter than he looks.
Madande nearly bottled that for us. Had he not hit that 4 after chewing 3 balls we were in trouble. He needs to find BMT from somewhere because it's currently lacking.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

This is a very good win given there was no Raza, Williams and Ballance for today. Critical knock by Ervine in that context and Burl finally doing justice to that power hitter role.

We've all been talking about Shumba, Wes and Marumani, but Innocent Kaia is proving to be more dependable than them all.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Well done Zim! Great crowd atmosphere. Necessary series win. Pretty good effort whilst missing four first choice players.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Innocent Kaia has some power.

Think he will do well under Houghton myself over a period of time. Rajput made him drop anchor against afghanistan in his debut series. You can see he now looks a different player playing with freedom.