Zimbabwe one day squad for ireland series

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
tej_27

Re: Zimbabwe one day squad for ireland series

Post by tej_27 »

They invested so much on munyonga last year and now dropped him to get chibhaba :?

Donald

Post by Donald »

Cephas zhuwayo and maruma be expecting a gig next 😄

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

Probably they want to play Chamu as opener? Since they don't trust marumani
Chamu
Kaia
Ervine
Ballance
Raza
Burl
Madande
Mavuta
Evans
Chatara
Ngarava
This could be the playing 11.
Madhevere will play for Ballance if he is not fit

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

My God Almighty! I never thought I would see Chamu in the team again. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Could have instead opted a for a younger player like Campbell or Ben Curran who will be good for the future.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

I’d rather they went with Maunze or even went back to Shumba. Or persisted with Munyonga.

Chamu for sure has been in good form and I think was the 2nd highest domestic run scorer after Marumani. but we’ve known for 15 years he’s a good domestic player but can’t crack it at international level. What are they hoping to learn?

With any luck he’s just there to warm the bench and won’t play.

I’m pretty sure they’ll keep the faith (rightly or wrongly) in both Marumani and Madhevere for this series. Dave said as much in His press conference yesterday

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Nah, You can’t pick Curran after 1 good match in three months (and in a different format). And Campbell will struggle to ever get picked because Burl offers the exact same but better.

sscricket
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by sscricket »

Chamu looked good in his previous stint imo.looked a vastly improved player.more than handy bowler.certaintly no worse than the other guys in the team. Give him another go pls...

Googly

Post by Googly »

I'm not totally averse to Chamu's selection. He's never quite figured out international cricket, but he's a good player. Maybe he'll play with a different mindset this time around?
Hes a Vusi type, looks damned good but more often than not doesn't fire. If you do well domestically you should be in contention.

I see a lot of folk talking about Curran after one good innings, it shouldn't be a discussion. He hasn't done anywhere near enough and although he looks reasonably organised, he looks a bit one dimensional to me. I've seen him play some good county Two's innings, but in Ones he is not as assured, so what's the expectation at international level? I'm not saying he won't make the step, but he has to earn it.

There are a few guys that have looked good domestically, but will surely not find the next level comfortable.

I'd like to see Marumani play and keep. There's no way he's as good as Secret makes out that he should just focus on batting, just my opinion. I'd give Wes a game or two, but I'd definitely reward Chamu with a game.

They almost have to persevere with Madhevere, he's talented and they've invested so many games in him, but he's surely only a couple of bad games away from having to go down and sort his game out.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I met Marumani when he was about 16. Something instantly special about him. I knew he'd play for Zim. More for his attitude and confidence - I don't think I've ever met a young black cricketer with a mindset quite as good as him at that age - belief and absolute determination. Also a beast of an athlete. Gavin Ewing used to say he could train for 12 hours straight no bother :lol:

He was technically good, but not outstanding. Certainly not as much natural ability as someone like Wes or whoever as a youngster. But those other attributes are what could help him become outstanding.

I don't know when the last time anybody in Zim had 13 professional half centuries and two centuries before his 21st birthday? Also a dozen more at NPL/club level too.

Not working for him yet at national level, for various reasons. Might be too soon and he might have to go away and keep working. But he'll make it one day, I'm certain.

His brother was a very promising cricketer too but had a really serious illness. His sister plays in the women's league too actually.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I think the selectors and Dave are looking at WCQ (and subsequently the WC in case of qualification) and probably want to consider an experienced guy like Chibhabha over some of those younger guys like Shumba, Munyonga, Kaitano who have completely failed to impress (Shumba did impress but fell off the radar quite quickly)

I can understand that, given that Chamu has had a good domestic season. For Zimbabwe's sake I hope he comes off.

Post the WC or the WCQ, I think Willo, Ervine will retire for sure, Sikki will give 2024 T20 WC another shot so he will mostly stick around but i think that is when guys like Curran, Shumba, Campbell, may be even Myers and other younger lads will get their long term chance.