Zimbabwe one day squad for ireland series

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Re: Zimbabwe one day squad for ireland series

Post by sam_ahm »

Googly wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:06 pm
I'm not totally averse to Chamu's selection. He's never quite figured out international cricket, but he's a good player. Maybe he'll play with a different mindset this time around?
Hes a Vusi type, looks damned good but more often than not doesn't fire. If you do well domestically you should be in contention.

I see a lot of folk talking about Curran after one good innings, it shouldn't be a discussion. He hasn't done anywhere near enough and although he looks reasonably organised, he looks a bit one dimensional to me. I've seen him play some good county Two's innings, but in Ones he is not as assured, so what's the expectation at international level? I'm not saying he won't make the step, but he has to earn it.

There are a few guys that have looked good domestically, but will surely not find the next level comfortable.

I'd like to see Marumani play and keep. There's no way he's as good as Secret makes out that he should just focus on batting, just my opinion. I'd give Wes a game or two, but I'd definitely reward Chamu with a game.

They almost have to persevere with Madhevere, he's talented and they've invested so many games in him, but he's surely only a couple of bad games away from having to go down and sort his game out.
I think it is a bit of a bias on our part who think players coming from County circuit are good or at least better than the local ones... I mean i know that's a poor thing to say but there is some sort of perception like that.

Particularly in Ben's case there are his two brothers who are good enough to play international cricket for England so somehow mind goes towards him that may be he is also that good. 😁

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

Well that was unexpected :lol:

The way I’m trying to look at it is this - ‘as an outsider looking in would pick players that are performing well in List A cricket alongside regulars in the international squad’

Chamu had a good one day season but still doesn’t win me over. I guess in Houghton we trust right???

My attempt at an 11 for tomorrow: (Assuming Raza is back and ready)

1. Kaia
2. Marumani
3. Ballance
4. Ervine
5. Raza
6. Burl
7. Madande
8. Evans
9. Mavuta
10. Ngarava
11. Chatara

Bench
Nyauchi
Chamu
Masakadza
Madhevere

Marumani will be on thin ice but I’m sure he will be given game 1.definitely think Mavuta over Masakadza in this format.

Nyauchi may feel hard done to but both Ngarava and Chatara are bowling well and shouldn’t be dropped unless they fail game 1.

With Ballance and Raza in the side I can’t see Madheveres place, will be even worse when Williams come back. Ervine would probably have to open and Williams takes marumanis spot.

Overall though I think it’s a really strong squad and I’m positive we will win this series.

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

Also why are people talking about Ben Curran in this format. Here are his numbers for List A this season:

Matches /innings - 8
Runs - 121
Average - 17.29
Highest score - 67*

His Logan cup stats are good (I know most of his runs came in the last game) he did hit a few 30 odds as well. Still needs another season to make the test squad though over other high performers.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

I think Cal's XI is about right. Maybe a small chance of them giving Marumani the gloves so they can get Wes in the side too. Or maybe Raza won't be ready.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

As long as the young guys don't play well consistently you will keep seeing the older guys being recalled. Chamu was the 2nd highest run score when the List A competition happened during the world cup. 3rd in the regional games. We have top order issues. It actually makes sense.

Expect to see Mutumbami making a come back if Marumani and Madande fail

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:36 pm
As long as the young guys don't play well consistently you will keep seeing the older guys being recalled. Chamu was the 2nd highest run score when the List A competition happened during the world cup. 3rd in the regional games. We have top order issues. It actually makes sense.

Expect to see Mutumbami making a come back if Marumani and Madande fail
It doesn’t make sense at all when you consider he’s 37 and has played over 140 international innings as a top order batsman without making a century over a period of nearly 18 years.

We know he’s a good domestic cricketer and a poor international one. We’ve known both of those facts for 15 years and it’s unlikely to change at 37 years old and his 15th recall or whatever.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I also think he's quite unlikely to actually play, unless we pick up some injuries. In which case is not better to have Munyonga or Shumba or literally anyone younger around the squad to observe and learn?

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

zimfan1 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:36 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuvPPgZRpso&t=34s

Press conference from Ervine.
Didn't really give too much away, but confirmed Ballance would be fit for the series (assuming that means for G1) he also said he thought Raza would be available for G1 as well.

On the selection of Chamu, he spoke about rewarding players who have performed in domestic cricket and we can't deny Chamu has done well. Second leading run-scorer in the Pro50 and also made a ton in the Logan Cup. Once you start ignoring guys who perform levels above the rest at domestic level, it sends the message to the rest of the guys that 'the coach already has the players he wants in mind and you can't change his mind'.

When Streak was in charge he certainly had his 15 or so guys he trusted and he didn't really care about the rest, which was ultimately part of his down fall. The domestic circuit is still the best source for talent Zimbabwe has, so the higher the standard it is the better it will be for the national team, so to keep these guys pushing for selection it's important to reward guys like Chamu & Mavuta.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

It will be interesting to see what the line-up is for the 1st ODI following on from DH's interview the other day. He mentioned wanting to give Marumani & Madhevere an extended run in the side, plus he also said that Kaia impressed him and would likely open in the 1st ODI.

Assuming Ballance & Raza both play, and Madande keeps, and we stick with the 7-4 line-up there seems to be one too many batsman once you include the captain Ervine. A good problem to have, especially once you bring Williams back into the mix, competition for spots is the best way to get the best out of people IMO.

The bowling should be more straight forward, with Jongwe's omission Evans looks set for the No.8 spot and Chatara & Ngarava will continue to take the new ball. Nyauchi could get a game if they feel Chats is being overloaded and needs a spell, that leaves Wellington & Mavuta to fight it out for the spinner role.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement