Antum Naqvi

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Antum Naqvi

Post by secretzimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:36 pm
Now here is the problem, Naqvi has done well, but what if he didn’t?
See Karabo Motlhanka and Jordan Morris.

Also maybe the two Irish guys that played for Tuskers in the Pro50 too? Idk if they paid. But it is Tuskers, so probably :lol:

Side note.
Am I theo boy one that thinks batsmen imports isn’t that important?
What I would like to see is elite spinners and fast pace men in ten comp. It’s what that Logan Cup is desperately crying out for.
Never going to happen sadly. Counties are very protective of their pace bowlers. We just don’t have the elite level physio/fitness/medical support in our cricket system for them to ever consider letting pace men come and play here.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Side note.
What I would like to see is elite spinners and fast pace men in ten comp. It’s what that Logan Cup is desperately crying out for.
Agreed, that was why I used a spinner like Ashwin as an example. Zimbabwe has always struggled against Asian spinners. Case in point, the great man himself, Antum Naqvi, took 4/22 the other week...

Admittedly, Ashwin is world class by any standard and he'd never really come. But I think there would be great value in a few no-name Asian spinners playing in the Logan Cup - you just know some Sri Lankan journeyman leggie would take 7-fers for fun. And if this SL leggie who is clearly going to give good exposure to the Zim batsman has a rich dad, do we really care?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well as I said earlier, Matt Parkinson arrives any day now, will hopefully play on the weekend. He's an international calibre leggie.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:52 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Now here is the problem, Naqvi has done well, but what if he didn’t?
See Karabo Motlhanka and Jordan Morris.

Also maybe the two Irish guys that played for Tuskers in the Pro50 too? Idk if they paid. But it is Tuskers, so probably :lol:

Side note.
Never going to happen sadly. Counties are very protective of their pace bowlers. We just don’t have the elite level physio/fitness/medical support in our cricket system for them to ever consider letting pace men come and play here.
Why does it have to be a county player though? Could be someone from Pakistan.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

It could be, but their domestic and provincial and club seasons align with ours.

The low hanging fruit is Irish/Dutch/Scottish players. They have some decent seam bowlers and I’m sure they and their boards would love them to get experience here in their off seasons.

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:04 pm
It could be, but their domestic and provincial and club seasons align with ours.

The low hanging fruit is Irish/Dutch/Scottish players. They have some decent seam bowlers and I’m sure they and their boards would love them to get experience here in their off seasons.
It would be great if our domestic sides would target decent African players, South Africans may not be interested but players like Vraj Patel for Kenya, we need quality spin bowling and he is better than anything we have.

In terms of decent pace bowlers, namibia have a few and even Uganda have Kyewuta and Miyagi (who bats like Mumba)

Namibia have players like Gerhard Erasmus as well who would be a quality addition to the Logan cup.

Problem is none of these players are probably interested in playing in Zimbabwe, I was shocked by the 2 Irish blokes.

Googly

Post by Googly »

African players would presumably be busy with their own cricket seasons?

We could advertise for seamers- Must bowl 140 plus, be of a cheerful disposition and be prepared to pay to play.
25k for a season at KweKwe, so nice they named it twice.
$100 for a season at Bulagweru, bring a friend.
Southern Rocks will provide $10 a game to play at Masvingo. Ideally applicants should enjoy doing fuck all in their down time.

Googly

Post by Googly »

If you could average out the bowling speeds of all the fc seamers from every country I'm willing to bet the Zim lads are 10 clicks slower than the country in second last place.
We have a bilharzia issue :lol:
It's from school- more emphasis is on line and length and getting through the overs, and even that they can't get right. An all but dead cricketing culture and not the most cricket ever being played in the country's history :lol: That level of shameless lying is up there with Nick Mangwana.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:04 pm

Fair point and I agree.
They do tend to produce some fast bowlers. Not necessarily class bowlers but FAST. This is what we generally need as we lack that extra pace and you see it when the bowling goes up a notch internationally.
Raza is one I have noticed who has mastered the medium fast pacer but not the fast medium.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Googly wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:25 am
If you could average out the bowling speeds of all the fc seamers from every country I'm willing to bet the Zim lads are 10 clicks slower than the country in second last place.
But I bet you the ZIM lads would be the tallest though. Blessing at 6'8", Ngarava at 6'5", Chatara has to be 6'2" at least, Evans is probably the same height. I'll bet even a relative midget like Tiripano is close to 6 feet. Through in Mpofu and Charlton Tshuma and Carl Mumba for good measure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)