Antum Naqvi

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Antum Naqvi

Post by Googly »

They have to make the 500k investment and then the passport is probably on the table, or he's looking at 10 years. In theory you find something to invest in and bring your money, but in practice it's definitely not as simple as that or he probably would have done it by now. ED made this announcement a while back, but I don't know if its actually been through parliament and been okay'd

I don't know their financial circumstances, but its possible that they don't have a spare 500k.
ZC can't do much to fast track a passport, it's not their department. It's also high profile in that if any corners are cut it would not be a good look if someone exposed any shortcuts.

Assume he gets one in due course and he has a bad start to an international career, which is obviously possible, how many games in a row will they give him before they resume their musical chairs of their favorites? That's where we would see some interesting stuff :lol: and some delighted selectors.
How many games do you play for Zim before you get offered a starter central contract? Is it based on how well you do or how long they can mess you around- which is practically forever. Once the Big 3 go, who have good contracts based on them being able to squeeze ZC, they can say to the rest- we'll give you 2k a month before tax and not one of them will refuse it.
Those Big 3 have enabled a couple of others to get better deals, but once they retire it's a clean and ugly slate that awaits the others.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Antum Naqvi's triple hundred has actually made news across major international platforms, like Cricinfo, cricbuzz, Pakpassion, and several Indian websites.

If you read through them you would think Naqvi is very much Zimbabwean and would wonder why someone like him is not playing for the side!?

It's the kind of news you would like to hear about Zimbabwean players more often.
Last edited by sam_ahm on Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:17 am
Antum Naqvi's triple hundred has actually made news across major international platforms, like Cricinfo, cricbuzz, Pakpassion, and several Indian websites.
Yeah I was pretty shocked to see it. Good on the guy tho. Maybe he could be the next Raza for Zimbabwe cricket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:19 am
sam_ahm wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:17 am
Yeah I was pretty shocked to see it. Good on the guy tho. Maybe he could be the next Raza for Zimbabwe cricket.
Yeah, I mean that's the kind of news one would like to hear about Zimbabwean young players. This lad has definitely started on the right note and has the ability to go big.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Why would he be the ‘next Raza’, other than being brown? Completely different stories and he probably is not as good as Raza, let’s be honest.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Some of the reporting about him being the first 300 for a Zim team is also slightly erroneous. Graeme Hick once scored 300* for Zimbabwe Presidents XI against Ireland in the 80's I believe. An uncle of mine was (briefly) part of the HSC staff at the time and witnessed it.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I think he's going to get a few of our better batters to get better scores. When you watch someone construct a big innings and not do anything out of the ordinary they're not doing, the penny will start to drop.
He's at least created a lot of interest.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Yeah that's right googly, he is creating some interest. I can even see some Indian social media 'influencers' have posted about this knock on X and generally Zimbabwe cricket gets very limited coverage, so to see this in the news and all was actually pleasing for me, no matter what we think of Naqvi.

Personally I don't have a problem with him representing Zimbabwe. In fact I'll be happy with anyone who makes the team better, but as I said before, I am a no one to be commenting on this, so I'll take whatever Zimbabweans decide.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Yikes, he has made it to the front page of the BBC. His profile has gone through the roof.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/67992089

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

With the way things are going we are going to owe Solomon Mire a lot :lol:

Scoring 300 is an incredible achievement. That bowling lineup wasn’t the worst we have ever seen I think the pitch was flat. Maposa got both Welch brothers yesterday. He is ok