Antum Naqvi

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Antum Naqvi

Post by Googly »

Why?
Nobody was after him initially. People merely queried where he might be from and why he was here. Just read the thread.
He misconstrued what was said, which is just weird, sensitive AND stupid, and out came the race card :lol: I wonder if he pulled that one in Aus?
The world is messed up when he buys a spot, prejudices some more deserving players, makes some runs and people then say back off he's earned it. He could of course play his cricket in Pakistan where race would never be an issue.
The only thing that sucks is karma hasn't gifted him a couple of ducks or a Chivanga bouncer.

You've got Byrom, who as a fact is a better player, trying to prepare for FC county, keep his foot in the door here etc etc, now cooling his heels because this guy's dad has money and needs a few games to get a visa!!! That's bullshit all day long.

Googly

Post by Googly »

His good back to back hundreds saved Rhinos management some sweats, because they'd have been hard pushed to select him after a couple of poor outings, but it would have happened nonetheless :lol:

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

sam_ahm wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:36 pm
Even if this is Antum, why are you guys after him? He is a good player and let's leave it at that.
Looks a good player, so good luck to him. He's done well so I'm not questioning his ability.

But we shouldn't be having any pay-to-play system at all. Regardless of how well he's performed, he's bought the place of Byrom - a Zimbo who you never know, may eventually turn out for Zim (Small chance - but shit like this makes that chance even smaller probably). Also the dozen or so local Kwekwe and Kadoma guys who turn out for Rhinos nets every week, year after year, but never get a single game. They probably aren't anywhere near as good as Naqvi, but we will never find out! because they haven't got the money to be able to buy an opportunity.

Also he's the one who created a fake account blowing his own trumpet and having a pop at me :lol:

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Googly wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:08 pm
You've got Byrom, who as a fact is a better player, trying to prepare for FC county, keep his foot in the door here etc etc, now cooling his heels because this guy's dad has money and needs a few games to get a visa!!! That's bullshit all day long.
Thats free market capitalism my friend. The rich always play by a different set of rules.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

The fact he can play and has pretty much dominated the competition is the saving grace.

I don't care how he ended up there as long as he's lifting the standard in the way he has.

I get the sentiment about the kids from Kadoma turning up in the nets and never getting a turn, but when we look at what's about to go down in this Test series, it reinforces the fact there's no room for sentiment.

The whole thing about Byrom is strange, why can't they just play 3-overseas players? Who's made up this rule that they can't? Silly stuff
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

Or just played him in another franchise that had only one overseas.
He's not the stand out super star, he claims he is, by the way. He's solid and has had two good games.
The usual diablolically rehashed schedule may mean he has to hang around a bit longer. We might see him in the T20's??

In no way has his presence added any value to our cricket.
We don't want people corrupting the system. End of!!!
If you think he's going to wherever he's going and will say- loved my time in Zim, wonderful blokes, fine cricket, can't recommend the place enuf, then you're sorely mistaken.
Their behaviour has made that very clear. I could tell you what they're going to say, but its not lekker.

Is there another cricket board less organised than ZC?
They chop and change schedules at a whim and it makes a mockery of the tournaments and the continuity of the whole thing. 4 bottles of Johnny Walker Green and a case of Fanta later and they decide- we need to mix it up a bit, it's going too smoothly and we need to show them we're still here and in charge.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Googly wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:07 am
Or just played him in another franchise that had only one overseas.
He's not the stand out super star, he claims he is, by the way. He's solid and has had two good games.
The usual diablolically rehashed schedule may mean he has to hang around a bit longer. We might see him in the T20's??
Maybe not, but he's dominating the Logan Cup
Googly wrote:
In no way has his presence added any value to our cricket.
I'm sorry Googly, but anyone that walks into the domestic setup and scores back-to-back hundreds and also takes wickets is adding value to the game. What's the point of having overseas pros if they aren't adding anything to the competition?
Googly wrote:
If you think he's going to wherever he's going and will say- loved my time in Zim, wonderful blokes, fine cricket, can't recommend the place enuf, then you're sorely mistaken.
Their behaviour has made that very clear. I could tell you what they're going to say, but its not lekker.
Never thought he'd become a tourism advocate for Zimbabwe

Googly

Post by Googly »

No bud.
Playing 2 games is not dominating. Compton and Mavuta are dominating. Let's see how he goes for the remainder of his stay.
You're missing the point in that he's displaced someone that I like to believe is one of our own and as a fact is a better batsman.
It matters not whether he piles on more runs either, it's not the point.
What I particularly dislike is that there's glum resignation when a guy like that walks in and manipulates the system. It shouldn't have happened and at the very least there should be a players union that tells him to fuck right off.

Are we a stop gap for Pakistanis and South Africans with some spare bucks and a visa problem?

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I had missed this. Last kept track when Muddie was on one :lol:

The simple solution here would have been to increase the overseas slots. They change the rules all the time anyway. However he ended up here kind of becomes irrelevant because of how well he has played in my opinion. Although the risk they ran was that mistreating Byrom could make him turn his back on us forever. If I remember correctly he qualifies for Ireland as well. It was a risk. I just hope its not taken too personally.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

You might like to think Byrom is ‘one of your own’ but facts are he wants to play for England and Zimbabwe would be a last resort of it doesn’t make it and loses his county gig and needs a pay day.

Byrom & Naqvi are both overseas players, and one has done much better than the other thus far this season. Most players in Zimbabwe struggle to score one century every two seasons, he’s scored two in two innings.

Sure the system sucks, it would be great if there was a lineup of players who were deserving of a spot and the franchises didn’t need to sell off spots for cash. But that’s the way it is in Zimbabwe aye, money talks right?

Anyways my point is that if indeed it is true his old man paid for his spot, at least he’s playing well. This other guys SZ mentioned didn’t do any better than the other local Zim boys.