2nd ODI | Zimbabwe v Ireland | 21st Jan 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Donald

Re: 2nd ODI | Zimbabwe v Ireland | 21st Jan 2023

Post by Donald »

Whats the latest on Ervine?

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:48 pm
Got a feeling Nyauchi and Evans are going to be dropped for Luke and Mavuta. I don't mind Evans and Jongwe rotating actually. Jongwe somehow regularly picks up wickets even though Evans is the better bowler. Flat decks sometimes need that kind of bowler. I also feel like Jongwe is a better bowler from over 40 onwards. He has better variations, Evans is still working on his variations.
With the shape Jongwe was in physically in the T20’s I can’t see him bowling 10 overs without dying, and that’s probably why he wasn’t included in the original squad tbh

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

They might actually rotate Ngarava out as he’s the only one who has played every single match so far and we’ll need him in top condition for the Tests if Blessing is still out.

Nyauchi, Evans, Chatara is a pretty innocuous and tame combination though.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Taps definitely has his finger on the pulse so let's see.

Are Ngarava's figures such that he's the only dead cert seamer each time in the absence of Muzarabani?
He offers the left arm option and a bit of extra pace, but I doubt his figures are better.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Googly wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:45 pm
Taps definitely has his finger on the pulse so let's see.

Are Ngarava's figures such that he's the only dead cert seamer each time in the absence of Muzarabani?
He offers the left arm option and a bit of extra pace, but I doubt his figures are better.
I was meaning to bring this up, for all the improvement in his game we haven’t seen an increase in wickets for Ngarava. You can’t deny he’s not a much improved bowler, but he’s still lacking that consistency that will deliver him 2-3 wickets a game on regular.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

It could be Ngarava. Hadn't thought about that. He is still averaging over 40 with the ball so yes people are right that he shouldn't be an automatic starter.

I just hope Mavuta gets a game.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:16 pm

I was meaning to bring this up, for all the improvement in his game we haven’t seen an increase in wickets for Ngarava. You can’t deny he’s not a much improved bowler, but he’s still lacking that consistency that will deliver him 2-3 wickets a game on regular.
Yeah in the past year he averages a touch under 40 in ODIs. Blessing averages just 24.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

It's strange. Both are giants, Ngarava is probably quicker when he's letting it go and is a leftie. He's more of a threat now he's got the one that comes back into the right hander, although it's just a nibble and not a big hoop.
Both don't have great control, but Blessing just bowls more wicket taking deliveries. He definitely gets a lot more bounce which is probably the difference.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Brad Evans probably has the most control, but he also can spray it and although his economy rate is very good, he doesn't take enough wickets, even in our domestic league, although his red ball stats are very good.
We keep saying he should be faster, especially with his athleticism and nice action, but it hasn't happened. If he could squeeze an extra 5-7kph I think it would make a world of difference.
He gets movement in the air and off the pitch, but clearly needs a bit more, especially at international level and he needs to be more accurate than he is. They're fine margins, but that's what cricket is.
I often wonder how Mcgrath would have faired in this modern white ball era. His metronomic line and length was incredible, but he was in the 250 runs per innings era and not the 300.

Oh I heard Matt Parkinson is coming (Lancs) for a few games. Not sure who he will play for, but he's an outstanding leggie. It will be very interesting to see how he fares on our wickets.

Googly

Post by Googly »

It's the darkest gloomiest rainy day today. No chance of any cricket.