2nd ODI | Zimbabwe v Ireland | 21st Jan 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: 2nd ODI | Zimbabwe v Ireland | 21st Jan 2023

Post by Googly »

ZC have a dilemma as the qualifiers loom. The younger players are not firing.
In theory they should load the side tomorrow with youngsters, but it's the decider.

You can't write off Marumani or Madhevere, but its looking increasingly unlikely that they're going to make our best line up at the qualifiers. One can only go on for so long about Madhevere's undeniable talent, he has to become more reliable.

We haven't seen enuf of Clive Madande, but I am certain that he's currently not our best option as a keeper batsman.
Maybe in future, but we need a quick fix. There are currently two better options- Marumani and of course PJ. They are both better batters currently. We need a whole bunch more ODI's before the qualifiers to establish our best option, but that's not going to happen.

Chamu, from what I saw yesterday edges Madhevere, which throws player development out the window temporarily.
Both are good players, both are frustratingly unreliable. Madhevere bowls though. Chamu batted really well yesterday, but in hindsight his rush of blood cost us. You're either a hero or an idiot in this game.

I don't know why Mavuta hasn't had a game. They obviously think Burl offers enuf as a leggie, and maybe they're right.
It would be interesting to watch them bowl in the same game from each end.

Our seam attack looked innocuous yesterday, which is a big worry. Obviously Blessing should beef it up, but he doesn't always hit his line and lengths either. Evans is frustrating. He looks really good in bursts and then is capable of dishing up some loose stuff. He needs to improve in all departments to distance himself from Jongwe. Alternatively Jongwe needs to do the same.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Innocent Kaia looks good as opener doesnt he.
Ervine get the magic spray on your pinkie finger or we are doomed monday.

Even chivanga seems to be injured now.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Although Madande hasn’t been a perfect keeper I do think Marumani is worse with the gloves

But I don’t mind the idea of giving Marumani the gloves tomorrow - making him feel part of the game and contributing in some way could be the confidence booster he needs and could help his batting? Maybe bat him down the order at 7 too although I think he’s way too good for that long term. All his success domestically has been opening, in both 20 over and 50 over cricket. His maiden First Class century was opening too

Shouldn’t be too damaging for Madande to be dropped for a game as I’m pretty sure he’ll keep in the upcoming Test series. Unless Regis returns (extremely unlikely) or they pick PJ (quite unlikely)

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Jongwe has been added to the squad for the 3rd ODI.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

zimfan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:43 am
Jongwe has been added to the squad for the 3rd ODI.
Injury replacement for Ervine?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Googly wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:27 am
We haven't seen enuf of Clive Madande, but I am certain that he's currently not our best option as a keeper batsman.
Maybe in future, but we need a quick fix. There are currently two better options- Marumani and of course PJ. They are both better batters currently. We need a whole bunch more ODI's before the qualifiers to establish our best option, but that's not going to happen.
/quote]

Yeah, PJ Moor, if he is available, will be the best option as Wicket Keeper batsman for the Qualifiers. That will make a big difference to the balance of the Zimbabwean side as well.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Calling Jongwe up to replace Ervine is a bit random? We have 5 seamers in the squad now!!! Unless one of the bowlers is injured too.

Really hope we go back to 3 seamers + Mavuta tomorrow

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Got a feeling Nyauchi and Evans are going to be dropped for Luke and Mavuta. I don't mind Evans and Jongwe rotating actually. Jongwe somehow regularly picks up wickets even though Evans is the better bowler. Flat decks sometimes need that kind of bowler. I also feel like Jongwe is a better bowler from over 40 onwards. He has better variations, Evans is still working on his variations.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Chatara and Nyauchi do the same role, can't be in the same side. I would even think about giving Evans the new ball.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

zimfan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:51 pm
Chatara and Nyauchi do the same role, can't be in the same side. I would even think about giving Evans the new ball.
But I can't see Evans playing tomorrow.