2nd ODI | Zimbabwe v Ireland | 21st Jan 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: 2nd ODI | Zimbabwe v Ireland | 21st Jan 2023

Post by Googly »

sam_ahm wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:13 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:10 pm
Oh well. Shame we lost on the day the crowd is nearly 100% full!

But sets up Monday very nicely (if the weather plays ball again). Two very similar competitive teams.
Josh Little is the difference between the bowling attacks. Zimbabwe's answer to that has to be Blessing. I'm OK with the batting, but not so with the bowling.
Adair is good as well. Bowls a heavy back of length ball that is extremely difficult to get away

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

We bowled them 54 overs. That's where we lost it today.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

The difference at the moment is the bowlers. Little and McBrine are really good. We miss Blessing.. how long is he out for? Not having Ervine and Williams also affected us badly.

Looking at Ballance today I think it's a fair conclusion to say he should bat in the top 3. Either Ervine or Ballance opens with Kaia. It's pretty straightforward. The more time those 2 have on the crease, the better. Ballance is an upgrade of Ervine. He rarely looked troubled but acceleration is another thing. He is world class.

As for the kids and the next game. I don't know how bad Ervine's injury is but if he is back then just to try, I would make Marumani keep and bring in Erivne and Mavuta for Madande and Nyauchi

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

People will really appreciate Ballnce next month in Bulawayo. The guy is World Class. You could tell something was up with BT for a good year but with Ballance he doesn't look troubled at the crease at all. Obviously they have different things playing on their mind but this guy is good. He should be the anchor of the team

I will check fancode if I can bet on Ballance scoring a hundred against The West Indies. That's a very good bet. Trust me. 4 innings...

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Ballance just looked very unfit, he made that look like a battle today. Surprised he didn’t faint at one point when Burl had him running a lot.

He’s very classy though, just such a good cricketer. Exciting to have him in the Test team especially.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Burl finally looks the part... we need to work on our batting order. I think at full strength Burl can bat higher than Raza if you really think about it. This version of Raza is a finisher

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

Xlife wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:09 pm
Ballance is too far down the order, he should open or bat at 3 with that kind of strike rate
Agree would be the perfect opener

Googly

Post by Googly »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:19 pm
The difference at the moment is the bowlers. Little and McBrine are really good. We miss Blessing.. how long is he out for? Not having Ervine and Williams also affected us badly.

Looking at Ballance today I think it's a fair conclusion to say he should bat in the top 3. Either Ervine or Ballance opens with Kaia. It's pretty straightforward. The more time those 2 have on the crease, the better. Ballance is an upgrade of Ervine. He rarely looked troubled but acceleration is another thing. He is world class.

As for the kids and the next game. I don't know how bad Ervine's injury is but if he is back then just to try, I would make Marumani keep and bring in Erivne and Mavuta for Madande and Nyauchi

I don't know why Burl didn't bowl his 10 overs.
Mavuta in for Nyauchi.
Maru to keep and bat down the order for me.
I would keep Ballance at 4 for now. I'm pretty sure he can change gear. Fitness is an issue and they bowled well at him. Why risk him with rhe new ball when he looks so solid at 4?
I would doubt Ervine can play next game.
Chamu has definitely done enuf to justify re-selection.

Googly

Post by Googly »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:24 pm
Burl finally looks the part... we need to work on our batting order. I think at full strength Burl can bat higher than Raza if you really think about it. This version of Raza is a finisher
Ya this I agree with completely.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

It is really problematic that we have three No. 11s at the end of the order. We really need our bowlers to be able to hit as well as Jongwe at a minimum.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes