3rd ODI | Zimbabwe v Ireland | 23rd Jan 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
tej_27

Re: 3rd ODI | Zimbabwe v Ireland | 23rd Jan 2023

Post by tej_27 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:53 pm
Got a feeling Chakabva will pitch up for the qualifiers. No ways he let that dream go. That will solve the top order issues and creates a very mature and stable batting lineup on paper. Either that or PJ will become available again. I just have a feeling with Regis being the most likely to happen. Still... we need at least 10 more ODIs before the qualifiers. I'm sure they will make something happen. Even if it's Namibia.

This would be my squad of 15

Regis (wk)
Kaia
Craig(c)
Ballance
Williams
Wes
Raza
Burl
Evans
Ngarava
Muzarabani

Chatara
Marumani(wk)
Chamu
Jongwe/Wellington

To me this is playing it safe. We are underdogs with batting issues. 8 batsmen is the way to go with Burl, Raza, Williams and Wes bowling the extra 20 overs. Chatara can come in for some games since we will have 8 batsmen. Maybe against the weaker opponents.

As it stands today I can honestly say Chamu is a better pick than Shumba, Munyonga or Madande and even Kaitano. I'm tired of seeing single digit scores from the kids. Let them develop without the pressure that will be at this World Cup. Its a final chance for a lot of these guys. There will be a lot on the line.

As for Wes he has only opened 3 times in ODIs and he averages 5. He averages 38.5 at 6. That's clearly his position. I think the strategy should be Wes, Raza and Burl to occupy the lower order batting spots but we read the match situation and shuffle them according to what's required in that specific match. That's how I would do it.

The final spot between Wellington and Jongwe is the one I honestly can't decide on. Very tough call for me. If Regis is back then there is no need for Madande honestly. We need to qualify here. No time for youngsters learning on the job as it stands
I have a feeling PJ will make himself available if ireland dont choose him for next tour . Also I strongly believe ZC will pull out one final card and get one of byrom/ Welch ( this will seriously solve top order issues) dream line up would be
Welch/byrom
Ballance
Ervine
Williams
Raza
Burl
moor
Mavuta/jongwe/mazakadza
Evans
Ngarava
Muzarbani
Zimbabwe will have really strong chance if somehow we assemble this side

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

I don't know how many times this needs saying, but both Byrom and Welch are on newly-signed contracts with counties and obviously won't be playing for Zimbabwe in 2023.

Also you know you are a poor team when you have to pick 8+ batters. Might as well just give the top order a day off. Such negative thinking, that actually has never worked for us in recent years. Burl at number 8!!! :lol: Jeeez.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Whilst you might think PJ is a more reliable option than a youngster like Madande, Moor hasn't really done a huge amount to beat the door down has he? Ireland haven't picked him because he didn't do very well over there at the end of the day.

Did okay in the Pro50 this season but is currently Mountaineers' 5th highest run scorer in the Logan Cup. And do people not remember his wicketkeeping is average at best? He might have a good end to the season which can change things, but currently I don't think he justifies selection.

As far as I've heard, Regis will not be around. Of course ZC may panic and call him and try to change that... But the league he is playing in in Australia is not the highest quality - is he going to justify selection? (And remember I am/was the biggest Chakabva fan of the forum!).

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:03 pm
I don't know how many times this needs saying, but both Byrom and Welch are on newly-signed contracts with counties and obviously won't be playing for Zimbabwe in 2023.

Also you know you are a poor team when you have to pick 8+ batters. Might as well just give the top order a day off. Such negative thinking, that actually has never worked for us in recent years. Burl at number 8!!! :lol: Jeeez.
I think a player can always cancel his contract if he gets a better offer . Sort of what we did with Taylor and Jarvis i think . Also my team has burl on 6 and not on 8. PJ in the past has played at 7 and i think he can be a good hard hitter down the order

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

All this Moor talk is hilarious. He was as unreliable as Waller, Matsi, Chamu and Wes (except, he did decently in tests - thanks to the aggressive field settings and his adventurous natural approach). Just because he could biff some sixes rarely does not make him a sure shot selection into the XI. And yes, he hasn't set the domestic scene alight too. He does add options if he makes himself available, but not enough runs to get to the XI at the moment in any format.

Googly

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:17 pm
If I'm Marumani and you're the coach, and you are making me bat at number 8, I'm asking Chivanga and that brick shithouse fitness coach guy to pay you a visit in the night.

Raza at 7 is even worse considering his form. What a waste!
:lol:
At 8 or on the bench or not in the squad. Easy choice.

Raza's form is in T20, doesn't necessarily carry over to 50 over. I'm swapping him and Burl around because we're about to see the new Burl, can feel it in my water. He played some shots there that were very impressive, looks in great touch.

I don't see why Chakabva gets a pass and can come and go as he pleases. He's done nothing in the T20's, I know it's a different format but he's not good enough to pick and choose, and now we've got some choices.

Our current keeping choices are Maru, Clive and the possibility exists of PJ being in the mix. For me Maru gets the nod.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:07 pm

Raza's form is in T20
Is it? Raza's ODI Average in;

2023...... 34.00
2022...... 49.61
2021...... 51.66

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ok I surrender :lol:

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

The disrespect for Raza is absolutely criminal, how on Gods earth is Burl a better player than Raza :lol:

That’s why I’d ideally like to keep Raz & Burl at 5 & 6 but I get the want to bat down to 8 for that extra security.

TapsC brings up a good point, if Regis was available he opens & ‘opens’ up a spot down the order to fit everyone in, but it seems like they have indeed moved on.

Let’s hope we see more matches than just the 3 ODIs v Holland to try and work out some of these riddles. I still think best case scenario is that Wes finds form, he could be a real match winner if he’s in form for the qualifiers.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:53 pm
Got a feeling Chakabva will pitch up for the qualifiers. No ways he let that dream go. That will solve the top order issues and creates a very mature and stable batting lineup on paper. Either that or PJ will become available again. I just have a feeling with Regis being the most likely to happen. Still... we need at least 10 more ODIs before the qualifiers. I'm sure they will make something happen. Even if it's Namibia.

This would be my squad of 15

Regis (wk)
Kaia
Craig(c)
Ballance
Williams
Wes
Raza
Burl
Evans
Ngarava
Muzarabani

Chatara
Marumani(wk)
Chamu
Jongwe/Wellington

To me this is playing it safe. We are underdogs with batting issues. 8 batsmen is the way to go with Burl, Raza, Williams and Wes bowling the extra 20 overs. Chatara can come in for some games since we will have 8 batsmen. Maybe against the weaker opponents.

As it stands today I can honestly say Chamu is a better pick than Shumba, Munyonga or Madande and even Kaitano. I'm tired of seeing single digit scores from the kids. Let them develop without the pressure that will be at this World Cup. Its a final chance for a lot of these guys. There will be a lot on the line.

As for Wes he has only opened 3 times in ODIs and he averages 5. He averages 38.5 at 6. That's clearly his position. I think the strategy should be Wes, Raza and Burl to occupy the lower order batting spots but we read the match situation and shuffle them according to what's required in that specific match. That's how I would do it.

The final spot between Wellington and Jongwe is the one I honestly can't decide on. Very tough call for me. If Regis is back then there is no need for Madande honestly. We need to qualify here. No time for youngsters learning on the job as it stands
Regis is not the answer full stop