3rd ODI | Zimbabwe v Ireland | 23rd Jan 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Marshmallow

Re: 3rd ODI | Zimbabwe v Ireland | 23rd Jan 2023

Post by Marshmallow »

Match called off

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Match abandoned

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Cutoff was 3.10 apparently - outfield too wet to get started by that time.

Googly

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:47 am
Googly wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:39 am
I don't know why you all think Ballance should open. Why risk him against the new ball? I guarantee he can change gear, which is what everyone is hung up on.
Kaia looks reasonably solid atm. We're just looking for one opener then there's Ervine, Ballance, Williams, Burl (I think he should bat ahead of Raza), Raza, Marumani.
That's the best line up we've had for a long time.
Fuck imagine throwing BT in there!
Ervine, Ballance, Williams, Raza, Burl, Marumani/Madande - that takes us down to number 8 - too many. Realistically they cant all play (and one of Marumani/Madande HAS to), so someone needs to open.

I am definitely not convinced that Madhevere should open. He has basically never scored runs opening, and never opens in franchise cricket either. So add him to the middle order pile-up too.

Someone probably has to bat out of position and open. Raza/Burl the obvious candidates but both doing so well down the order. Ervine may struggle with pace early on. Ballance will be wasted out of position. Williams would probably have a tantrum.

Difficult
Why is that too many? 3 of those are spinners, 4 if you include Ballance, then there's Evans, Jongwe, Nyauchi, Ngarava and Mazarabani to take up 3 seaming spots.
If u go with Kaia, Wes/Chamu, Ervine, Ballance, Williams, Burl, Raza, Marumani it gives our best batting line-up.
It unfortunately leaves no room for Mavuta or Masakadza, but the other spinners are enough to do the job.
We need to bat deep, it's always been our Achilles, and to have Burl, Raza and Maru at 6,7 and 8 is a good look.
That swap of Burl and Raza folk may not agree with but Burl is starting to look really good. Either or.

If Madhevere opens then he can also bowl. Someone has to front up to open. Kaia is earning his spot. That leaves Madhevere or Chamu to take a teaspoon of cement and be the other opener.

We hardly ever chase more than about 260-270, hardly ever set that and this batting line up gives us a better chance.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

If I'm Marumani and you're the coach, and you are making me bat at number 8, I'm asking Chivanga and that brick shithouse fitness coach guy to pay you a visit in the night.

Raza at 7 is even worse considering his form. What a waste!

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I thought Zim could have won this series. Nonetheless Zimbabwe have come out very good from this series, yet another one where Zimbabwe have given a good account of themselves.

Won T20s 2-1
Drew ODIs 1-1.

To build on the success of the past few months, this is still fairly good.

On to the tests against West Indies!

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

Any idea when and against whom do we play next odi match ?

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

tej_27 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:35 pm
3 ODIs v Netherlands in mid-March

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

tej_27 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:35 pm
We have to play 3 Vs Netherlands at some point. April apparently. The rumour is that we are touring Namibia in April-ish as well.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Got a feeling Chakabva will pitch up for the qualifiers. No ways he let that dream go. That will solve the top order issues and creates a very mature and stable batting lineup on paper. Either that or PJ will become available again. I just have a feeling with Regis being the most likely to happen. Still... we need at least 10 more ODIs before the qualifiers. I'm sure they will make something happen. Even if it's Namibia.

This would be my squad of 15

Regis (wk)
Kaia
Craig(c)
Ballance
Williams
Wes
Raza
Burl
Evans
Ngarava
Muzarabani

Chatara
Marumani(wk)
Chamu
Jongwe/Wellington

To me this is playing it safe. We are underdogs with batting issues. 8 batsmen is the way to go with Burl, Raza, Williams and Wes bowling the extra 20 overs. Chatara can come in for some games since we will have 8 batsmen. Maybe against the weaker opponents.

As it stands today I can honestly say Chamu is a better pick than Shumba, Munyonga or Madande and even Kaitano. I'm tired of seeing single digit scores from the kids. Let them develop without the pressure that will be at this World Cup. Its a final chance for a lot of these guys. There will be a lot on the line.

As for Wes he has only opened 3 times in ODIs and he averages 5. He averages 38.5 at 6. That's clearly his position. I think the strategy should be Wes, Raza and Burl to occupy the lower order batting spots but we read the match situation and shuffle them according to what's required in that specific match. That's how I would do it.

The final spot between Wellington and Jongwe is the one I honestly can't decide on. Very tough call for me. If Regis is back then there is no need for Madande honestly. We need to qualify here. No time for youngsters learning on the job as it stands