Zimbabwe Vs West Indies | 1st Test | 4-8 Feb 2023 | Bulawayo

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
mnelson68

Re: Zimbabwe Vs West Indies | 1st Test | 4-8 Feb 2023 | Bulawayo

Post by mnelson68 »

Donald wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:01 pm
I understand the need for experience in these matches. Chibhaba has actually done ok domestically.
I suppose everyone has seen Williams in the dressing room and wants to jettison chibhaba next match 😄
Fair call. There is still the second innings to go.
Jonathon cambpell for wellington next match so we actually have a number 7 .
Chivanga for any one of Evans ngarava or nyauchi. None of whom have added to their reputation this match.

Next test if Williams is available
Kaia
Makoni
Ervine
Ballance
Williams
Campbell
Madande
Mavuta
Evans
Chivanga
Blessing if available or Ngarava / Nyauchi

rusty17
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by rusty17 »

After seeing all of the comments about Chamu's struggles against spin I had a play around on cricmetric.com to have a look at it. Hopefully I've got it working right, I haven't used it much before, but from what I can see in ODI cricket he averages 15.8 and strikes at 62 against all spin types, and has been out 40 times out of 55 when he's had to face it. Even though he's only had a few Tests he's gone out to it twice in five digs, averaging 12.5 and striking at 27.5. Obviously not as important in Test but thats pretty ordinary strike rotation. Then in T20i its 16.5 at 118, and out 15 times out of 20.

I know we are all pretty sick of seeing him play and not contribute much but to have a problem with a whole discipline for that long makes it even harder to take.

rusty17

Post by rusty17 »

To be fair to him I should have a better look into the other guys in the team, but I don't think they'll be battling that hard

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Thanks for the numbers rusty

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

rusty17 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:48 pm
After seeing all of the comments about Chamu's struggles against spin I had a play around on cricmetric.com to have a look at it. Hopefully I've got it working right, I haven't used it much before, but from what I can see in ODI cricket he averages 15.8 and strikes at 62 against all spin types, and has been out 40 times out of 55 when he's had to face it. Even though he's only had a few Tests he's gone out to it twice in five digs, averaging 12.5 and striking at 27.5. Obviously not as important in Test but thats pretty ordinary strike rotation. Then in T20i its 16.5 at 118, and out 15 times out of 20.

I know we are all pretty sick of seeing him play and not contribute much but to have a problem with a whole discipline for that long makes it even harder to take.
This is wonderful insight. Thanks for sharing. And proves what we all have been thinking without the data to back it up. And you would think the team management would have a basic analyst doing this job, but well...

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Looks like a really good innings by Kaia. Can he go on to the three figure mark after doing the hard yards?

Makoni did quite well to do score 30 odd. The Windies bowling attack is actually a pretty decent one...its their batting which is weak.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Andy31
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Andy31 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:53 am
Looks like a really good innings by Kaia. Can he go on to the three figure mark after doing the hard yards?

Makoni did quite well to do score 30 odd. The Windies bowling attack is actually a pretty decent one...its their batting which is weak.
A 100 would be huge.
To have someone score a Hundred in test and ODI's so early in a career is rare in Zim standards.

Donald

Post by Donald »

The emergence of Kaia and also the successful comeback of Mavuta as a test spinner of some quality are reasons alone to celebrate.
We need a hundred from Kaia. Ballanc e needs a substancial score and the tail to wag ideally in this innings.

I have a horrendous feeling zim will be 185-8 at lunch or something stupid.

Kaia ballance tsiga prove me wrong boys.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

My thoughts -

We've always known Chamu cannot play spin, no one is surprised by his struggles. I don't think anyone wanted him near this side, but with so many out and with the youngsters struggling there wasn't many other options.

Everyone surprised that Ballance coming in down at No.5, did we not learn anything from our old Friend Hhm?? White dudes always hide in the middle order :lol: :lol: :lol:

Agree 110% with the sentiment that Innocent Kaia is the best find in Zimbabwe cricket for a long time. We always discard these type of 'veterans' from the domestic game, but Kaia has done his time and worked on his game and now he looks really comfortable opening the batting at international level.

I've said many times on the forum, I like my batsman to have scored 3000-4000 runs at domestic level before picking them at international level. Maybe Zimbabwe should look ore closely at older players rather than throwing in guys like Wes & Marumani so young?

Really happy for Mavuta, I don't know why he was shunned for so long by the selectors. You can tell he's worked on his game, his control is so much better and really, he took about 10 wickets that innings if not for poor catching, keeping and umpiring.

The magic number is 247 for me, once we're passed the follow on the Windies will have to bat again, and it's still not an easy pitch to score quickly on, so they'll have to take their time amass a winning total.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Paul Reiffel strikes

Dreadful decision