2023 World Cup Qualifier discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: 2023 World Cup Qualifier discussion

Post by Jemisi »

I think it is a fair squad.

No howlers here which should always be celebrated when a Zim squad is announced.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Yes if we do end up with situations where Evans and Jongwe are both on the bench then thats a waste but also at the same time you could have seen both Wellington and Mavuta on the bench. So it's difficult.

Getting the the best 11 will be difficult here. So many combinations. I guess it will depend on the conditions and opponent.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Jemisi wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:53 pm

No howlers here which should always be celebrated when a Zim squad is announced.
Yeah, we haven't resurrected a Chibhabha or a Chigumbura out of the blue or haven't picked a Maruma for the 782nd time. Nyauchi over Evans or Mavuta over Jongwe were the closest in consideration I would think, but probably none of those 4 would get into the strongest playing XI at the moment, so one can understand them picking slightly more accomplished batters among them there.

jontym87
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by jontym87 »

The inclusion of Marumani is a no brainer. Who else would you pick ahead of him? Mutumbami is in UK and Chakabva is in Australia and all are pretty semi-retired from International cricket. The qualifying tournament is long. Zim are guaranteed a super six finish so there is a lot of cricket to play. At some point Madande would need a break to manage his workloads
Professional troll feeder since 2011 :P

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

You are suggesting we need 3 wicketkeepers?

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I think the only one that could be thrown in as possibly making a case for themselves is Myers, but other than that, I don't think the squad could have been any different.

Donald

Post by Donald »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:17 am
I think the only one that could be thrown in as possibly making a case for themselves is Myers, but other than that, I don't think the squad could have been any different.
Myers time will come. Might have been an issue should we qualify he will be back in Uni

pillowprocter

Post by pillowprocter »

Donald wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:04 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:17 am
Myers time will come. Might have been an issue should we qualify he will be back in Uni
You think he's gonna skip a WC for Uni?

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:54 am
Jemisi wrote:

Yeah, we haven't resurrected a Chibhabha or a Chigumbura out of the blue or haven't picked a Maruma for the 782nd time. Nyauchi over Evans or Mavuta over Jongwe were the closest in consideration I would think, but probably none of those 4 would get into the strongest playing XI at the moment, so one can understand them picking slightly more accomplished batters among them there.
Yeah, a couple of calls could have been different but the squad would still be fine. They seem to have lost the habit of leaving out one of the better players.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Jemisi wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:30 pm
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:54 am
Jemisi wrote:

Yeah, a couple of calls could have been different but the squad would still be fine. They seem to have lost the habit of leaving out one of the better players.
Sean Williams will no doubt miss a game or two due to a sore throat and Craig Ervine will inevitably have a hamstring issue keeping him out of a game.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes