2023 World Cup Qualifier discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

2023 World Cup Qualifier discussion

Post by sam_ahm »

I think we need a thread for this in Zimbabwe cricket section. It will be am event hosted by Zimbabwe and Zimbabwe are already confirmed to be participating.

Now folks, there are very strong rumors that Pakistan won't travel to India for the World Cup. As stupid as it may sound, it can happen.

Personally I would love to see Pakistan at the WC, they are a very good team and arguably the most entertaining team to watch. They can blow you away on your best day at the same time they can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, anytime.

However, if they don't travel then we are potentially looking at 3 open slots at the WCQs. That will be huge for the likes of Zimbabwe, Ireland and the associates.

Crastle_cog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: 2023 World Cup Qualifier discussion

Post by Crastle_cog »

If Pak don't come(which is highly unlikely) it's an interesting predicament. Highly unlikely cuz the PCB says all this for PR driven purposes. They know in cricket BCCI is the real deal. I reckon they'll come irrespective of India missing the Asia cup to be held in Pak.
Hypothetically even if Pakistan don't participate we won't know until very close to the world cup. That means heading into the qualifiers we won't be seeing any major changes.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I think PCB is just blowing steam. For one thing, the importance of a WC >>> the Asia Cup. Also the money lost would be massive for PCB, and no team can afford that especially PCB, given the dire economic situation in Pakistan right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

What is more interesting is if the ICC will grow some balls and suspend Afghanistan. I’m betting they won’t but really they should.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Yeah it is unlikely that Pakistan will skip something as important as a World Cup and take a revenue hit themselves in addition to some sanctions ICC may impose on them. As a cricket fan I hope they play.

Coming to the qualifier itself, by the end of next month we will know for sure as to which teams will be participating.

SA - 78 (2 games to go v Netherlands)
SL - 77 (3 games to go v NZ, away)
WI - 88 (0 games to go)
IRE - 67 (3 games to go v Ban)

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:31 am
Yeah it is unlikely that Pakistan will skip something as important as a World Cup and take a revenue hit themselves in addition to some sanctions ICC may impose on them. As a cricket fan I hope they play.

Coming to the qualifier itself, by the end of next month we will know for sure as to which teams will be participating.

WI - 88 (0 games to go)
South Africa is on 77 now .they have lost one point for slow over rate in the last game against England .

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

tej_27 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:29 am
sam_ahm wrote:

WI - 88 (0 games to go)
South Africa is on 77 now .they have lost one point for slow over rate in the last game against England .

No mate, they came down from 79 to 78.

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:51 pm
tej_27 wrote:
sam_ahm wrote:

WI - 88 (0 games to go)

Then ireland is on 68 . Cause cricket ireland literally released an article stating how loss of one point has given renewed hope to the Irish to qualify

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

tej_27 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:58 pm
sam_ahm wrote:
tej_27 wrote:

Then ireland is on 68 . Cause cricket ireland literally released an article stating how loss of one point has given renewed hope to the Irish to qualify
Oh! I'm sorry, yes Ireland are on 68.

Barely gives them any hope Tej, If RSA win their next 2 games against the Dutch then Ireland are left with requiring 3 wins out of 3 against Bangladesh. That's very unlikely.

So the only realistic way their are looking at is either for the Dutch to upset RSA (again) or for rain to play spoilsport in RSA-NET games and RSA end up losing some more points.

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

sam_ahm wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:16 pm
tej_27 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:58 pm
sam_ahm wrote:

Oh! I'm sorry, yes Ireland are on 68.

Barely gives them any hope Tej, If RSA win their next 2 games against the Dutch then Ireland are left with requiring 3 wins out of 3 against Bangladesh. That's very unlikely.

So the only realistic way their are looking at is either for the Dutch to upset RSA (again) or for rain to play spoilsport in RSA-NET games and RSA end up losing some more points.
Yes mathematically ireland are in this but don't see them winning 3-0 against ever improving ODI side of Bangladesh. Although ireland have themselves improved massively in this format . But i still feel southafrica ( and hope they do for zim's sake) qualify