[Match Thread] Zimbabwe v Netherlands, 1st ODI, Harare, 21 Mar 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Match Thread] Zimbabwe v Netherlands, 1st ODI, Harare, 21 Mar 2023

Post by jaybro »

Idiotic bowling changes again by Ervine, I actually thought his early bowling changes were also very poor as he pretty much just ran Ngarava & Blessing for 5 each before doing the same with Wellington & Evans. He also bowled out Wellington early & had the new-ball bowlers having both bowled 8 each, which meant his best 3 bowlers on the day had already bowled the majority of their overs and left him without many options.

This was dumb, because everyone could see that after around the 30-over mark the balls lost their hardness and therefore started playing much easier for the batsman, both innings showed that. The decision to bowl Wes was a disaster, I don't know why they tried that and that's where the momentum started for the Dutch.

The dropped catches killed them as well, how the hell can you drop two in a row Wellington ffs, I really can't believe they lost that after all the hard work to get back into it. We're all waxing lyrical about the batting line-up, but once again they were bowled out. How often do we get bowled out in a 50-over match? I'm sure we would have the highest rate of any full-member.

After losing 3 early wickets, Burl & Raza needed to pull their heads in and build a partnership, but they both got out to unnecessary shots with their strike rates at around a run a ball. Look at the Dutch guys, they batted much slower throughout the innings but kept wickets in hand for a final push which has always been the best way to build a total.

Hopefully this is the kick up the backside these guys need and we don't see another inept performance like this again
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:00 pm
Idiotic bowling changes again by Ervine, I actually thought his early bowling changes were also very poor as he pretty much just ran Ngarava & Blessing for 5 each before doing the same with Wellington & Evans. He also bowled out Wellington early & had the new-ball bowlers having both bowled 8 each, which meant his best 3 bowlers on the day had already bowled the majority of their overs and left him without many options.
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Had Ervine bowled his best bowlers out early (Blessing, Rich, Welly) in an attempt to step on their jugular...ZCF would have been up in arms, "He didn't leave any options for the death". As you've done here.

Had he done the opposite, the forum would be abuzz with "Why is he letting them knock the part timers around??? :twisted: "

Prevailing ODI theory is that when the opposition are 5 down for 60 chasing 250...waiting too long to bring your strike bowlers back can kill you dead. Its happened thousands of times where the batting team is down and out for the count, only for the bowling captain to just let his part timers bowl long spells and end up losing the match.
This was dumb, because everyone could see that after around the 30-over mark the balls lost their hardness and therefore started playing much easier for the batsman, both innings showed that. The decision to bowl Wes was a disaster, I don't know why they tried that and that's where the momentum started for the Dutch.

Here too, maybe Ervine reads the forum. Wes' bowling ability is often if not always talked about here. I think he holds the U-19 record for most wickets in a career - nevermind the quality of opposition faced (context!!!). And it was just one over...it wasn't a whole spell.
After losing 3 early wickets, Burl & Raza needed to pull their heads in and build a partnership, but they both got out to unnecessary shots with their strike rates at around a run a ball. Look at the Dutch guys, they batted much slower throughout the innings but kept wickets in hand for a final push which has always been the best way to build a total.
That insane run of form Raza had 6 months ago...it was all hooking and pulling sixes over midwicket. Not one the 100 hook/pull shots Raza played that season was along the ground. I think Googly noticed that in the match thread. You cannot keep doing that and expect to be a consistent match-winner. You may get lucky and have a good month, but you can't keep winning games year in year out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:00 pm

Agree on Ervine. Unfortunately his captaincy has been an issue on numerous occasions over the past year.
The flip side is that he's a very calm, relaxed, thoughtful guy and the mood seems to be that the players are enjoying his captaincy and playing under him. He's a good influence off the field and has created a good atmosphere. It's a shame that tactically he is poor. And it's clearly affected his batting too.

By comparison you could have Williams who tactically is outstanding but probably not the best leader in terms of off-field stuff because he's all over the place. Raza isn't suitable now as he isn't around enough (E.g. he landed 9pm Monday evening, before the series started at 9am Tuesday morning, and is flying to the IPL straight after the 3rd match finishes). Ballance is probably too 'new' to the squad to captain right now. Burl being a bits-and-pieces role would be absolutely ideal, but he's not the smartest :lol: He's away with the fairies apparently :lol:

Only thing I would disagree with you on is about giving Wes a bowl. He's been bowling beautifully recently, I think anyone would have turned to him at some point in the innings.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:18 pm

That insane run of form Raza had 6 months ago...it was all hooking and pulling sixes over midwicket. Not one the 100 hook/pull shots Raza played that season was along the ground. I think Googly noticed that in the match thread. You cannot keep doing that and expect to be a consistent match-winner. You may get lucky and have a good month, but you can't keep winning games year in year out.
Incredibly harsh. 'Get lucky and have a good month'?!?!
You make it sound like his form was a brief flash in the pan but it's not true. It's an extended run, pretty much a whole 12 months now...
Raza has just averaged 38 in the PSL striking at 180 and was one of THE leading players of the whole tournament.

He still doesn't get the credit he deserves from quite a few people on here imo. It's nearly impossible for someone with a Zim flag next to their name to get an IPL deal, let alone a Muslim guy as well. He's there for a reason and it's because he's currently amongst the leading players in the world.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:54 pm

You make it sound like his form was a brief flash in the pan but it's not true. It's an extended run, pretty much a whole 12 months now...
Raza has just averaged 38 in the PSL striking at 180 and was one of THE leading players of the whole tournament.

He still doesn't get the credit he deserves from quite a few people on here imo. It's nearly impossible for someone with a Zim flag next to their name to get an IPL deal, let alone a Muslim guy as well. He's there for a reason and it's because he's currently amongst the leading players in the world.
Thats certainly fantastic numbers. And its been a good 6 month stretch from the 2022 World Cup.

What I meant was that style of batting is very one-dimensional. Its either 80 off 50 to win a game or its going to out for a single digit score. Very few in betweens.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

tej_27 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:36 pm
Can't believe we lost from the position we were in
Are you new here? Zimbabwe can lose from any position.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:24 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:54 pm

Thats certainly fantastic numbers. And its been a good 6 month stretch from the 2022 World Cup.

What I meant was that style of batting is very one-dimensional. Its either 80 off 50 to win a game or its going to out for a single digit score. Very few in betweens.
This form has been ongoing since the T20 qualifiers in Bulawayo.

Fair enough on your second point.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Had Ervine bowled his best bowlers out early (Blessing, Rich, Welly) in an attempt to step on their jugular...ZCF would have been up in arms, "He didn't leave any options for the death". As you've done here.

Had he done the opposite, the forum would be abuzz with "Why is he letting them knock the part timers around??? :twisted: "

Prevailing ODI theory is that when the opposition are 5 down for 60 chasing 250...waiting too long to bring your strike bowlers back can kill you dead. Its happened thousands of times where the batting team is down and out for the count, only for the bowling captain to just let his part timers bowl long spells and end up losing the match.
Feels like you've just woken up and decided to disagree with me on every point just for the sake of it, but I'll play the game.

If you bowl out your best bowlers early, or use up the majority of their overs it gives you less options at the back end of the innings.

I'm not saying the likes of Burl, Raza & Wes are bad bowlers, but once Nidamanuru started teeing off against Wes, we had to try a different option.

In saying that, he did have Evans up his sleeve yet decided not to use him.
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Here too, maybe Ervine reads the forum. Wes' bowling ability is often if not always talked about here. I think he holds the U-19 record for most wickets in a career - nevermind the quality of opposition faced (context!!!). And it was just one over...it wasn't a whole spell.
Things are not always black and white my friend, Wes is a decent bowler, but I'd suggest he isn't a death bowler, and the fact he hadn't bowled a ball yet in the innings, it was a big call to bring him on at that point.

Probably should have got some overs out of him earlier, or kept Raza on who's bowling is more suited to death bowling due to his t20 style action.

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Yes he's very much live by the sword die by the sword old Raza, which I guess we can live with. But ultimately both he & Burl could have been in for a big score if they applied themselves like Madande or Nidamanuru
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:50 am

Feels like you've just woken up and decided to disagree with me on every point just for the sake of it, but I'll play the game.

If you bowl out your best bowlers early, or use up the majority of their overs it gives you less options at the back end of the innings.

I'm not saying the likes of Burl, Raza & Wes are bad bowlers, but once Nidamanuru started teeing off against Wes, we had to try a different option.

In saying that, he did have Evans up his sleeve yet decided not to use him.
There's been plenty of times where teams have done exactly what you've suggested and many of those times the team has gone on to lose and fans clamored "Why is he [the captain] just letting the game drift???"

I am sure its happened on ZCF too.

All I am saying is that hindsight is always 20-20 and I'm reasonably sure that had Ervine done what you suggested and it didn't work, someone would have posted that he should have gone for the jugular instead of letting the tail wag until they took the game away.

Ervine absolutely did the right thing bringing his strike bowlers on once NED was 5 down...thats actually the aggressive thing to do. Plenty of captains will hang back and just bowl part timers allowing tailenders to get well set against easier bowling, and then its too late by the time the death overs come.

Masakadza even took a big wicket of Ackerman in that spell. You let Ackerman milk easy runs off relief bowlers, this game ends in the 45th over no matter who bowls at that point.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I'm going to be that guy. I don't think we're qualifying for the World Cup.

We are still making so many basic errors and stupid errors, I can't really see us knocking over any of the bottom 4 that will drop into the qualifiers.

Decision making from Ervine as captain is also very sceptical, but I don't really know who else leads the side instead.

Raza does seem very T20 mode 24/7. When it comes off, it's great. When it doesn't, it's costly.